• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Beggars can’t be Choosers strung out mess Jan 8/9

HoarfrostHubb

Augusta reporting 34 with snow at noon, but that's at the airport, 2 miles NW and about 220' higher than outside the office, where it's still -RA.  Saw a FB video taken about 10:45 at a friend's house 7 miles east of mine, and it was snowing at a good clip, so we've gotten some at home.  However, I see a chance that the pivot will swing the backside around and south of home and keep us dryslotted.  Maybe those nice echoes will get to move north, at least I hope so.

Event totals: 6.0” Snow/0.76” L.E.

Unlike the larger flakes that came down before dawn today, much of the morning here at the house has seen smaller, more synoptic-like flakes.  Consistent with the flake size and temperatures hovering up and down around the freezing mark, snow density was 11.1% H2O.  Snowfall has been quite consistent throughout the period though, running in the ½”/hr. range.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.30 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.0

Snow Density: 11.1% H2O

Temperature: 33.8 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1 to 5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Augusta reporting 34 with snow at noon, but that's at the airport, 2 miles NW and about 220' higher than outside the office, where it's still -RA.  Saw a FB video taken about 10:45 at a friend's house 7 miles east of mine, and it was snowing at a good clip, so we've gotten some at home.  However, I see a chance that the pivot will swing the backside around and south of home and keep us dryslotted.  Maybe those nice echoes will get to move north, at least I hope so.

Moderate snowfall now in Vassalboro.  Looks like it might last most of the afternoon anyway.  Nice way to end up.

Finally saw flakes at 80' elev in Augusta just before 2, about 3 hours later than I'd expected - tried to stick for a bit but now --SN and no stick.  Off to a forest certification meeting in about 10 minutes, site is about 2 miles north of and same elev as the airport, where it's been snowing since noon, so a short trip into winter.

Hard to say how much at the mountain with the first part... I'd estimate 5-6" of wind packed slabby snow.  

Pretty much all lifts are closed for 60mph gusts rocking the base area...blocked flow is giving us a whole bunch of wind in the lee side.  West side is calmer and stacking the snow much more efficiently.

Classic windy vs no wind difference in snowfall amounts right now from east side to west side.  

• Like 1

Snow has just about ended.    Storm total  7".  Another hit to the birch trees.  Just amazing the difference between me and areas south...

I made a 1 minute video clip as the first backside winds started up earlier this afternoon.  Just a quick whiteout with the first NW gusts of wind.  Skip to the 30 second mark to watch what happens.

https://video.nest.com/clip/c2b670029e53409cb879bad1bd9a752f.mp4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

8" new snow with moderate upslope snow continuing. Snow was very wet earlier, but it's drying out now. 

Roads are treacherous around here with chain requirements for trucks on route 9 between Wilmington and Bennington. In fact, it looks to be closed in Woodford currently. 

Mitch , do you have a seasonal total calculated 

53 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Snow has just about ended.    Storm total  7".  Another hit to the birch trees.  Just amazing the difference between me and areas south...

I made a 1 minute video clip as the first backside winds started up earlier this afternoon.  Just a quick whiteout with the first NW gusts of wind.  Skip to the 30 second mark to watch what happens.

https://video.nest.com/clip/c2b670029e53409cb879bad1bd9a752f.mp4

You guys are having the types of storms I had last year. Cement bombs

• Like 1