Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2018

George BM

12 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

You know your winter is going off the rails when on the winter solstice, 2 weeks after a historic NC snowstorm, 1 week after the biggest rainstorm in Dec history, and on the verge of another, talk in the forum turns to chances of tornadoes. 

tornadoes in december are awesome. EF2 outside Seattle the other day. strongest recorded tornado in Washington state since the 80s. 

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

One reason I try to make myself scarce when we are getting snow up here and those in the cities are dealing with rain or very little snow. Some of the comments in the past were outright ignorant. Different story when everyone is scoring though.

i have started doing that too. if i distance myself from those who aren't getting snow and just occasionally post, i hope it limits the attitudes i get in response. like, really people i am sorry its raining while i'm under a death band, but no need to be an ass about it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Either that or I'm just broken (I'm about to be 28 on Monday). I absolutely hate what I did...HATE IT. Need to be better...I wish I didn't care about this at all.

What is done is done. So stop obsessing over it and move on. People for the most part are forgiving in this forum as long as you learn from your past mistakes and try not to repeat them. Your continual bringing the subject up serves no purpose other then to clog the threads and irritate people even more. So please move on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

What is done is done. So stop obsessing over it and move on. People for the most part are forgiving in this forum as long as you learn from your past mistakes and try not to repeat them. Your continual bringing the subject up serves no purpose other then to clog the threads and irritate people even more. So please move on.

In the other thread, I only brought it back up in reference to deleting posts...Here someone else brought it up again so I responded. (And as an aside...obsessing over my mistakes is what I do best. Self-forgiveness ain't my strongsuit)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

eh, he's right. it was brought up again and he was replying. i think overall we just need to drop it. he's been told he is acting far too much like a debbie downer, and its getting old. there is the panic room for those types of posts, not the long range thread. i think everyone (myself included) can move along. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Take pride in nothing. You would be right behind me if you did not have posterity.

PSU can take immense pride in being a highly valued, eloquent, and easy to understand contributor to the forum.  Key there  is being "easy to understand" hint hint.  On the other hand...  At the other end of the spectrum in the "what does that mean?" category...  is...  ahem.  I think someone in Male is looking for your assistance.  How about going to check out their forum, and staying there.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fozz said:

Yeah I think a lot of it comes with maturity, and I'm sorry about what happened in your life. Getting a few bad winters is nothing compared to those real life adversities.

I was really bad about this stuff 10 years ago, and even as recently as 2015 I melted down a few times, but I've been in this hobby long enough to know what to expect. A lame December is nothing unusual.

I used to be like that too many years ago but then I grew up I guess. I’m just a fan of weather in general now, which for me is much more interesting. I mean I’ve had just as much fun tracking rain events this year IMBY and watching tonight to see if IAD breaks their yearly rainfall record.

6 hours ago, mappy said:

tornadoes in december are awesome. EF2 outside Seattle the other day. strongest recorded tornado in Washington state since the 80s. 

It definitely is different, tornadoes and severe weather in December (or anytime in winter), at least outside the southeast U.S.  I remember sometime in the winter of 1992-93 (perhaps that January?), there was severe weather in southwest Ohio (I was working for a small, private forecasting group in the Cleveland area at the time, so was following this at the time).  It was very "odd"...there were even tornado watches and an actual tornado report somewhere in that area.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, H2O said:

Damn.  32?  That puts me to shame.  Thats Awesome.

I have to wait until I'm 50 to retire per my pension plan(if I still have one in two years).  Turning 48 next year(f**k) so once I can I'm rolling out while still a babe in arms.  Its funny, people hear how long i've worked and they look at me and ask if i started when i was 4 years old.

Well, I have about 7 years on you (yep, I'm that person screaming to get off my lawn). LOL on the age thing...it is starting to catch up with me but I had people taking 10-15 years off my age all thru my 40's and early 50's. I guess that is a good thing, no? Back to weather, absolutely pouring here, had 1.74 at 7 am and a good 1/2 inch since. Wet, wet, wet.

19 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

One reason I try to make myself scarce when we are getting snow up here and those in the cities are dealing with rain or very little snow. Some of the comments in the past were outright ignorant. Different story when everyone is scoring though.

Yeah....its a shame we have to go into hush mode, when in reality we are all rooting on the same thing for everyone.  We cannot change where we live, and if you don't like it, they sell homes every day.  I know its not that easy, but as Mappy and others have stated, its just snow.  I love it more than any i know, but its not worth the worry, vitrol (when things don't pan out). 

Since were sharing ages, and experiences.  I'v been a snow weenie, lover of weather for around 20 years longer than some of the youngins above have been alive.  I've been at this a long time and have seen it all. 

Its really a fun passion....but its weather and I've learned that the outcome is always up in the air...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

All guidance points to an epic January...oh wait...nevermind...

This super awesome pattern tracking thing has been a total bore. It was all going too well. Now at least there is a red flag to obsess over for a few hours. 

For the record, I am totally confident the pattern will be epic by mid/late Jan. Early Feb at the latest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This super awesome pattern tracking thing has been a total bore. It was all going too well. Now at least there is a red flag to obsess over for a few hours. 

For the record, I am totally confident the pattern will be epic by mid/late Jan. Early Feb at the latest.

Mid March at the verrrrry latest.

• Like 2

So.... went to the Apple Blossom mall to do some Christmas shopping....

Wife and kids were down at the food court while I went to get some items for kids .   On my way back, stopped in GNC.  I hear commotion and I looked out see people looking in that direction.  So I run out of GNC and gratefully ran into them running in my direction.  Asked what's going on?  She says there's a fight.  I could see a crowd gathering by the jewelry store and  and Japanese food place, and heard a lot of yelling.  Suddenly people start shouting "gun".  Hundreds of people start sprinting to the exits.  Grabbed the kids and ran for the opposite exit.  People screaming, crying, hiding behind cars.... chaos.   By the time we hiked to our car, cops started arriving.  Kids were very upset, but all is well.  Pretty unsettling.    Think I'm done shopping for today! 

From facebook.... man attempted to take his child.  Mother started fighting to prevent him.  One and then another man attempted to intervene.  Tackled the dad and attempted to subdue him. ( My wife was about 10 feet away at that time and got the kids and hurried toward my location).  Hence all the yelling and commotion.  Doesn't sound like there was ever a gun.  Maybe whoever was first to start shouting "gun" should actually be shot.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Does anything good ever happen in your life? All seriousness, that must have been scary. That's crazy.

It was scary.  First, when I heard commotion coming from the location I knew my wife and kids were at, the relief when I ran out of the store and found them, and real fear when shouts of "gun" and stampeding crowd started.  Nightmare scenario.  Something great happened... this didnt happen a couple minutes earlier when we didnt know each others location.  I can imagine the horror if i couldn't find them.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

That’s scary NPZ...glad you and the family are safe.  I’m sure it was very frightening as it was all happening.  

Another reason why people should never go to malls ;)

Thanks.  I dont think my daughters can be talked into going back anytime soon.  I wish I never had to take them out of the house again.

Glad you and your family are ok NPZ.  It was fortunate that you "bumped" into them in the chaos.  A prolonged separation may have added to the angst for you and them.  Having lived overseas for the majority of my career, I've witnessed first hand human stampedes and they are incredibly dangerous events.  Hope your kids in particular are ok.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic