Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2018

George BM

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I signed up for an atmospheric science class for non-STEM majors next semester... looking at the syllabus I think I'm going to be fine, lol. You guys are all the education I ever needed.

I got one of my last elective credits at Penn State by signing up for a basic level meteorology class, and somehow they allowed it even though I had been a meteorology major for 3 years lol.  Easiest credit ever.  True story though, the only question I got wrong on any of the exams was when the professor asked "what causes the changing of the seasons" and the possible answers included what he wanted the answer to be (the tilt of the Earth on its axis) but also the wrong answer of (the orbit of the earth around the sun, and the rotation of the earth) and I pointed out that the correct answer should be "all of the above" because without the Earth both rotating and revolving it would simply always be summer on one side and winter on the other, and he still marked it wrong saying I was thinking about it too much.  After the course was over I left a note in his box saying "maybe you weren't thinking enough".  I was a smart arse then too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Congrats @mappy. Hope you and your hubby have a wonderful day.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Since we had a white Christmas 

LOL yes, that too!

1 hour ago, Jandurin said:

9 years since I bought a house that got buried in snow

oh and also since I got married.

9 years ago was a busy time.

Congrats to you as well! 

• Thanks 1

@Maestrobjwa

You neee to relax. Consider this...if as I suspect we get good snow in January/February you are worrying and driving yourself crazy for no reason. If we fail then you are making yourself miserable for a month more than you have to be. Either way your worrying for no reason since it hasn't happened yet and you have no control over it. So just chill. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Maestrobjwa

You neee to relax. Consider this...if as I suspect we get good snow in January/February you are worrying and driving yourself crazy for no reason. If we fail then you are making yourself miserable for a month more than you have to be. Either way your worrying for no reason since it hasn't happened yet and you have no control over it. So just chill. 

I think I'm afraid of it happening...and it's like...even with a fail, life goes on and we live for another winter...failure feels like the worst possible thing (even though logically, yes, life goes on. Not a big deal...it's just weather. yet the emotions don't catch up to that logic and I end up obsessing)

Feels like if I let go and look at it in a positive "wait and see", if it does fail I'll feel even worse (especially if other people down south get more again). But you're right...it's better just to look ahead positively...though I still dread failure. 

Those close failures the last two years left me depressed for a few days...like all the positive anticipation for absolutely nothing. Actually had to recover for a day (and regretted all the hours on my phone I wanted obsessing over it). I remember all the posts about negative trends and it would ruin my mood everytime (which is really stupid, I know)

If the last two years hadn't gone down the way they did, I'd be more relaxed and wouldn't worry as much. It's just been too long! (and I don't count last March because we didn't get to 5 inches here...but I guess it was something)

Maestro - seriously , give it a rest. You are asking for hand holding on every page of the long range thread. If we fail this year, it will be for a million different reasons, and will be a unique fail, like all the other fails were unique and all the other great years were unique. Analogs only get you so far. Nothing is ever EXACTLY the same. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I think I'm afraid of it happening...and it's like...even with a fail, life goes on and we live for another winter...failure feels like the worst possible thing (even though logically, yes, life goes on. Not a big deal...it's just weather. yet the emotions don't catch up to that logic and I end up obsessing)

Feels like if I let go and look at it in a positive "wait and see", if it does fail I'll feel even worse (especially if other people down south get more again). But you're right...it's better just to look ahead positively...though I still dread failure. 

Those close failures the last two years left me depressed for a few days...like all the positive anticipation for absolutely nothing. Actually had to recover for a day (and regretted all the hours on my phone I wanted obsessing over it). If the last two years hadn't gone down the way they did, I'd be more relaxed and wouldn't worry as much.

No way you're 27

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Close the blinds and don't open them until easter. The SSW cold is heading to Europe and our record precip is going to even out with record drought. Cherry blossoms will be out soon at least. 

I saw some leaves actually jump back onto trees

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Sorry. Wasn’t worrying. Just noting that those rooting for or looking for extreme cold means rooting for, generally, a shutout pattern down here for snowstorms. 

I know your point was ok. I'm not actually frustrated just making fun. Everything looks on track. Good. But the pattern getting good is still too far away to get into details and people are just speculating and inventing boogy men to worry about.  I'll worry once it's actually warranted.  Until then this is silly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic