• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2018

George BM

Hit the northern end of Devils Den this morning. There's are area called the ledge with a 100' sheer cliff in the middle of the woods with a money view of the reservoir. It's literally a sheer drop from the top. Looking over the edge is pretty intense. 

Calling for 2-4" of rain tonight and tomorrow so no more hiking. The good thing is the heavy rain will remind me of home. 

OipI6iE.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, H2O said:

Speaking of anniversaries, 25 years today that i started my job.  Ice storm of Jan 94, worked outside in the coldest wx I've ever worked that month, walked out onto the Potomac when it was frozen over in 2001, hot summers, hurricanes.

Lots that i've seen and done in that time.  Place I work for has been good to me.  Lucky to have had this gig for this long.

Congrats! I'll have 32 years in on 2/2...yes, I started on Groundhog's Day, and at times it feels just like the movie.....no matter what I try to do to make it better/different the same stupid outcome happens lol. Gotta love corporate. About 4 more years and I'm pulling the plug, and likely headed west.

• Like 1

As today is the last day of fall...

My warminista parody of White Christmas:

I’m dreaming of a mud solstice

Just like the ones I often know

Where the gutters glisten

and children listen

but can’t hear anyone forecast snow

I’m dreaming of a mud solstice

With every card I’m writing down

May your days be o’ercast and brown

May all you turn around, don’t drown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

You can see why this hobby is so damaging: a combo of SAD, lack of sleep, isolation from friends and family, lots of investment with no return, addiction to white powders...

I love this hobby and never deal with anything you're speaking of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Congrats to you as well.  25 years def was not a thought i had when I first started so its really something to note when it gets to that mark.  Being so far away from the end of the road makes you just focus on the current and before you know the years of service pile up.

Its been a damn good place to work as far as stability and growth. Going from lowest person on the payroll to providing for a family.  Now if work would just let me chill the last couple years i have left.  lol

Congrats. Great accomplishment. Now you’ll have more time in here?

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Hit the northern end of Devils Den this morning. There's are area called the ledge with a 100' sheer cliff in the middle of the woods with a money view of the reservoir. It's literally a sheer drop from the top. Looking over the edge is pretty intense. 

Calling for 2-4" of rain tonight and tomorrow so no more hiking. The good thing is the heavy rain will remind me of home. 

OipI6iE.jpg

Where's the snow?

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Congrats! I'll have 32 years in on 2/2...yes, I started on Groundhog's Day, and at times it feels just like the movie.....no matter what I try to do to make it better/different the same stupid outcome happens lol. Gotta love corporate. About 4 more years and I'm pulling the plug, and likely headed west.

Take me with you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Damn.  32?  That puts me to shame.  Thats Awesome.

I have to wait until I'm 50 to retire per my pension plan(if I still have one in two years).  Turning 48 next year(f**k) so once I can I'm rolling out while still a babe in arms.  Its funny, people hear how long i've worked and they look at me and ask if i started when i was 4 years old.

Just now, Fozz said:

Damn that's brutal. Lets's hope this year delivers at least one HECS for us.

Haha.  Yeah the pictures and videos from friends and family that I got while I watched heavy rain roll through where I was was tough for sure.  I think its why I like Jan 2016 as my favorite snowstorm.  The constant celebration in this forum was a ton of fun.  To be able to turn off the computer and just go on Jebwalk after Jebwalk was special.

5 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I've noticed over the years that women handle this hobby much better than men do. 

I can only speak for myself... 5 years ago I probably would have let a missed storm get to me. But life threw me a bunch of really awful curve balls and i have since seen whats important. snow is not that important. do i want it? yes, of course. am i going to fall into despair and shit up a thread over it? nope. sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LP08 said:

Haha.  Yeah the pictures and videos from friends and family that I got while I watched heavy rain roll through where I was was tough for sure.  I think its why I like Jan 2016 as my favorite snowstorm.  The constant celebration in this forum was a ton of fun.  To be able to turn off the computer and just go on Jebwalk after Jebwalk was special.

IMO, Jan 2016 was just as good as any of the storms in 2009-10, if not better. It was an amazing storm with perfect duration, good heavy rates and blizzard conditions during the day, and even a little thundersnow. 

• Like 1

Just now, mappy said:

I can only speak for myself... 5 years ago I probably would have let a missed storm get to me. But life threw me a bunch of really awful curve balls and i have since seen whats important. snow is not that important. do i want it? yes, of course. am i going to fall into despair and shit up a thread over it? nope. sorry. 

Yeah I think a lot of it comes with maturity, and I'm sorry about what happened in your life. Getting a few bad winters is nothing compared to those real life adversities.

I was really bad about this stuff 10 years ago, and even as recently as 2015 I melted down a few times, but I've been in this hobby long enough to know what to expect. A lame December is nothing unusual.

@Maestrobjwa If the lack of snow really drives you this crazy, I think it's a good idea to find a few other hobbies or things to do, so that your emotions aren't so dependent on the weather. Enjoy the snow when it comes, but if not, then focus on other things. If you really love winter weather that much, then it might be worth making a trip to Northern New England to explore their mountains. A flight to Manchester, NH or Portland, ME isn't that expensive from BWI.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Yeah I think a lot of it comes with maturity, and I'm sorry about what happened in your life. Getting a few bad winters is nothing compared to those real life adversities.

I was really bad about this stuff 10 years ago, and even as recently as 2015 I melted down a few times, but I've been in this hobby long enough to know what to expect. A lame December is nothing unusual.

yes, i do agree that maturity has a role, and thank you. i am sure many here have dealt with the same things i have. 

what actually bothers me more is when others get pissed off at those who get snow. i know the northern crew and myself have dealt with that often. we get shunned and just shitty replies because its snowing in our backyards while raining in others. that shit is so petty and stupid. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I'm 27 years old...and have been in this for maybe 4 years...and really ain't experienced much of life yet. So maybe in 10 years I can look back and see things differently.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

yes, i do agree that maturity has a role, and thank you. i am sure many here have dealt with the same things i have. 

what actually bothers me more is when others get pissed off at those who get snow. i know the northern crew and myself have dealt with that often. we get shunned and just shitty replies because its snowing in our backyards while raining in others. that shit is so petty and stupid. 

I'll sometimes jokingly say "I hate you :P" to someone on the other side of the rain/snow line, but I never actually mean it. It's one thing to joke around or lightly troll someone, and I've seen some of that around here, but actually being hostile to someone because they're getting more snow is incredibly petty and immature. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fozz said:

I'll sometimes jokingly say "I hate you :P" to someone on the other side of the rain/snow line, but I never actually mean it. It's one thing to joke around or lightly troll someone, and I've seen some of that around here, but actually being hostile to someone because they're getting more snow is incredibly petty and immature. 

its happened. 

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm 27 years old...and have been in this for maybe 4 years...and really ain't experienced much of life yet. So maybe in 10 years I can look back and see things differently.

I'm 28... I haven't experienced much of life either, but on the other hand I've been in this hobby since 2002. I've seen many stretches of shitty winters before, but if you're a little patient, then you'll really enjoy the payback when things turn around. However, nobody enjoys a wet blanket.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fozz said:

@Maestrobjwa If the lack of snow really drives you this crazy, I think it's a good idea to find a few other hobbies or things to do, so that your emotions aren't so dependent on the weather. Enjoy the snow when it comes, but if not, then focus on other things. If you really love winter weather that much, then it might be worth making a trip to Northern New England to explore their mountains. A flight to Manchester, NH or Portland, ME isn't that expensive from BWI.

And that's the thing...I have other things I could be focusing on. In fact, something in particular (mainly, well, Christmas music preparation) has been neglected because I've been focusing on all this.

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I'm 28... I haven't experienced much of life either, but on the other hand I've been in this hobby since 2002. I've seen many stretches of shitty winters before, but if you're a little patient, then you'll really enjoy the payback when things turn around. However, nobody enjoys a wet blanket.

Either that or I'm just broken (I'm about to be 28 on Monday). I absolutely hate what I did...HATE IT. Need to be better...I wish I didn't care about this at all.

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Either that or I'm just broken (I'm about to be 28 on Monday). I absolutely hate what I did...HATE IT. Need to be better...I wish I didn't care about this at all.

It's fine to care about it, but you just need to have realistic expectations based on where you live. I think most of us are eager for a good winter with a few big storms, but December is no time to panic.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic