Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That can be true for southern stream waves that have a lot of convection. Modeling (and GFS in particular) can have a progressive bias, and the latent heat release and resulting ridge building ahead of stronger systems can be underforecast by NWP. 

There is a physical explanation for the NW trend. 

GFS is almost unusable with storms like that. The same thing appears to be happening with the Day 4 low and my weather. ECMWF/NAM/UKMET/GEM/EPS etc. are all further northwest and a "hit" while the GFS is a clear miss to the southeast. The FV3 is a bit closer, but still a miss. 

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

GFS is almost unusable with storms like that. The same thing appears to be happening with the Day 4 low and my weather. ECMWF/NAM/UKMET/GEM/EPS etc. are all further northwest and a "hit" while the GFS is a clear miss to the southeast. The FV3 is a bit closer, but still a miss. 

It'll be comforting to have our favorite biases still hanging around with the new guy.

7 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, its not weenie urban legend...latent heat release from convective processes enhance upstream ridging.

Last January's bomb being a pretty classic example. Modeling continued correcting north right up until go-time. I believe the mesos had a better handle than the globals as well, as they picked up the convective nature of the system.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, LurkerBoy said:

What’s “mild”? And what’s the 10-14 day time frame?

On 11/29/2018 at 6:05 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Warm but not hot = mild. 10-14 day timeframe is 10-14 days from today. Count 10 days from today, that 10. Add 4 days to that day and you have 14. 

On 11/29/2018 at 6:20 PM, LurkerBoy said:

You suck , I thought he meant a 10-14 day threshold. And mild does NOT have a standard definition onthis board.

1 hour ago, LurkerBoy said:

It doesn't look THAT bad heading into xmas, just mildish

53 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What is mild?

47 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

it's less spicy than medium

41 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You suck.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Unless ur transitioning, you won’t see me. I work at a women’s gym 

I should tell my wife to scout..(she’s off limits....besides I think you’re probably looking for those under age 60).  She goes to a women’s gym.

It will be nice to get more climo appropriate temperatures after today.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s really not that far off, esp considering lead time and what it typically does with these, from dropping the northern stream in on that second wave early next week and getting it up here.

It just phases that one a little late and keeps it offshore, Way to early to get invested in any of these scenarios right now.

5 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Suppression depression baby on the 12z GFS.  Climo temps and sun and then the AN temps surge in.  

If you like snow, may need to close the shades until after 12/24.

I don't know if I'd be saying that at this lead time...GFS is notoriously bad with set ups like this, and it's a very complicated set up with many SW's all over the place in the flow...models are going to struggle for a while on this...it's far from figured out.