Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

ha!    There is no way (in terms of manpower and computer resources)  to do the complete set of retrospective testing and evaluation that needs to be done (much of the past 3 years were rerun with the FV3GFS and assessed as part of the validation) for both the GFS and GEFS systems concurrently.

thanks for the explanation.  I figured it quite an undertaking.  

• Like 1

Yeah EPS nothing like the op. Good signal for a coastal. Between the GEFS and EPS, it looks like the spread is more of a timing difference than sorting out between cutters and coastals.

EPS did follow the op on the 5th with a flatter low, but both are not far from a hit. 

• Like 1

Well, thats great to hear, I did posted that a little while ago, but I was reading the entire thread and came across this .

I feel you might enjoy. ( unless you saw it too ) .

I have read HM every day for the last 15 years , back to Wright Weather days, and dial up, and it is not often HM will allude to a weather period as possibly being "bad-ass " 

7 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frd said:

Well, thats great to hear, I did posted that a little while ago, but I was reading the entire thread and came across this .

I have read HM every day for the last 15 years , back to Wright Weather days, and dial up, and it is not often HM will allude to a weather period as possibly being "bad-ass " 

I’ve been following HM forever as well. Let’s just hope he didn’t mean “ass bad”. 

1 hour ago, frd said:

Lol that's Ji asking him

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, frd said:

Is he talking about mid-late December or mid-to-late January being awesome?

27 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Happy hour GFS is right where we want it for Dec 9th.

Where it enters the west coast and progresses across the south has mid Atlantic winter storm written all over it. The progression was a thing of beauty for 9 days out. Now if we can just get this look to under 5 days....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_34.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.png

16 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Is he talking about mid-late December or mid-to-late January being awesome?

I think he means January. I know people don't want to wait...and we have a real shot at snow the next 2 weeks, but when winter is over if we get several warning level events in the nino favored period from mid January on then almost everyone will be happy regardless of a warmer period around the holidays if it comes to that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think he means January. I know people don't want to wait...and we have a real shot at snow the next 2 weeks, but when winter is over if we get several warning level events in the nino favored period from mid January on then almost everyone will be happy regardless of a warmer period around the holidays if it comes to that. 

Huh. I figured he meant December 

15 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Where it enters the west coast and progresses across the south has mid Atlantic winter storm written all over it. The progression was a thing of beauty for 9 days out. Now if we can just get this look to under 5 days....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_34.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_36.png

That would be one of those rare epic all cold powder snow events that you would just watch the radar for hours and not have to worry if it went down like that...if is the key word 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scraff said:

I’ve been following HM forever as well. Let’s just hope he didn’t mean “ass bad”. 

Based on the conversation and his other posts I think he means, bad as in deep winter,cold and snow. and  think he is referring to the end of December. 

Almost seems that he shares the same weather/pattern drivers, globally and strat-wise, as does Tom, @Isotherm  . 

If he and Tom are correct expect a very short relaxation period and then a stormy, white holiday period and beyond That was my interpretation.   

Latest edition of the EPS weeklies- biggest takeaway is the AK trough retros back towards the Aleutians latter third of Dec. -EPO for beginning of Jan. Fwiw of course.

I just have a feeling this advertised 'warm' period may be a bit overdone on the ensembles and will be pretty short lived. We shall see.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Huh. I figured he meant December 

Could be I just took the "mid month" part and since the relax looks to start around dec 13/14th it would be kind of ambitious to think we dive into a kick ass pattern within a few days to qualify as mid month. So I figured he meant by mid January. But perhaps he just wasn't being that precise with timing and references to it. Either way I'm good with what he is selling. When it's over if I get a few more warning events and beat climo I will be ecstatic regardless of exactly when the snow came. I'm not that picky about my frozen water!!!

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Latest edition of the EPS weeklies- biggest takeaway is the AK trough retros back towards the Aleutians latter third of Dec. -EPO for beginning of Jan. Fwiw of course.

I just have a feeling this warm period may be a bit overdone on the ensembles and will be pretty short lived. We shall see.

Wasn't didn't they overdo it for Thanksgiving too? Lol (until we got closer to it, that is)

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wasn't didn't they overdo it for Thanksgiving too? Lol (until we got closer to it, that is)

Probably. Too lazy to go back and look.

The latest weeklies make me think my perception that the AK trough was retrograding some at the end of the latest EPS run wasn't just a hallucination lol. Decent chance this mild period will be transient.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic