Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The troubling part of the second threat on the gfs, for me, is that the storm seems to be disappearing from some of the ens members. I liked that it was pretty much on all of them a couple of days ago.

This is the time though that I think at least in the past where models can sometimes kind of lose a storm for a day or two.

It seems to have precipitated on most weekends for the last several months! Something is probably going to happen! IN our back yard, not sure.. In college, my met professor said to look for repeating patterns within a day of each other every 7 days unless a huge atmospheric event was witnessed. I have found that to be somewhat true! 6 of the last 7 fridays have had precipitation! Many Saturdays as well...if not precip, a frontal passage has occurred. Seems consistent.

Couple of days ago I posted my thoughts on the possible bridging of ridging in Russia with ridging in the west (+PNA and/or -EPO). The latest FV3 (new GFS) shows my thoughts exactly. The ridging is splitting the pv, leaving a portion in northern Canada and forcing another portion into the Aleutians. Taking a horrible PAC look we were seeing just a few days ago and actually giving us a look that isn't far from ideal. Troughing through the GOA (+EPO) is the only negative here and in this case it isn't such a big deal because with the bridging we are still seeing a transport of colder air south that a -EPO would normally afford us.

bridging.gif.7d43a8e6fdd8bc085d06597c42e7e6c2.gif

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Have you noticed this threats timing has slowed.  Its still in the day 5 range . Just small changes ( at 120 hr leads no doubt) could allow for a nice little event . Heck.. I saw 1 0z gefs member (P004) that closed off at h5 and crushes many areas .

That is what has much interest somewhat. We are seeing a slower evolution of the storm where we are seeing the 500s catch up somewhat. Need to see better separation with the departing low moving towards the 50/50 though. Still some work to do and we have 5 days so lets see what happens.

Storm for the 5th seems to be somewhat on life support, but it also wouldn’t take a major shift for it to come back and be a light event for many. 

I think the overnight runs were very bullish for the storm on the 8th-9th.  6z GEFS excepted. 

And more signs that our torch will be a transient mild or seasonable period that reverts back to a good pattern.

• Like 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

That raging +NAO doesnt bother you at all? Or are you speaking solely about the PAC oscillations? It seems we can hardly get both PAC and ATL to time themselves in unison anymore. Maybe a decadal anomaly?

Just referring to the PAC. What we were seeing just a few days ago could have meant losing 3-4 weeks of winter if not even longer. The NAO on the other hand has been flipping back and forth on a regular basis so that doesn't concern me too much.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Just referring to the PAC. What we were seeing just a few days ago could have meant losing 3-4 weeks of winter if not even longer. The NAO on the other hand has been flipping back and forth on a regular basis so that doesn't concern me too much.

Agree. During the early part of the winter season, a -EPO is more likely to deliver cold than a -NAO for the Mid-Atlantic. Obviously doesn't hurt to have a supportive NAO regime but as we saw in 2014, a -EPO can be money for us.

10 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Agree. During the early part of the winter season, a -EPO is more likely to deliver cold than a -NAO for the Mid-Atlantic. Obviously doesn't hurt to have a supportive NAO regime but as we saw in 2014, a -EPO can be money for us.

As long as the EPO/PNA tandem are setup at a good longitude I fully agree. BUT, any deviation to the West, then without some sort of NAO blocking wont we be looking at cutter city? 

12 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

-nao isn't a big cold pattern for us like the -epo is so they aren't really comparable. The -nao can lock in highs in good spots and also be a great help with keeping storms from cutting to our west but in general it doesn't deliver arctic cold into the conus. The -epo is behind most of not all arctic outbreaks in the conus. 

If I had to choose between a -epo or -nao I would take the nao. 2013-14 was incredibly lucky on so many levels. Getting that much snow during a raging +ao/nao regime is very rare. 94-95 is a more typical outcome in the MA. Lots of mixed and/or ice but limited snow. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

-nao isn't a big cold pattern for us like the -epo is so they aren't really comparable. The -nao can lock in highs in good spots and also be a great help with keeping storms from cutting to our west but in general it doesn't deliver arctic cold into the conus. The -epo is behind most of not all arctic outbreaks in the conus. 

If I had to choose between a -epo or -nao I would take the nao. 2013-14 was incredibly lucky on so many levels. Getting that much snow during a raging +ao/nao regime is very rare. 94-95 is a more typical outcome in the MA. Lots of mixed and/or ice but limited snow. 

Agree. The WAR is always a fight with that set up. For those further inland it can work pretty well, but closer to the coast, not so much. I will always take a -AO/NAO and a good/decent Pacific pattern. Where things stand now, I am rooting for the AK vortex to retro and a building EPO ridge, which we are seeing hints of on the LR guidance. A neg NAO is generally favored later in winter in a Nino, so I think we will get our blocky periods.

20 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

As long as the EPO/PNA tandem are setup at a good longitude I fully agree. BUT, any deviation to the West, then without some sort of NAO blocking wont we be looking at cutter city? 

Of course there are always exceptions but wouldn't the odds favor that the EPO/PNA combo would have good positioning? Doesn't take much of a shift west or east where you lose one or the other.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Agree. The WAR is always a fight with that set up. For those further inland it can work pretty well, but closer to the coast, not so much. I will always take a -AO/NAO and a good/decent Pacific pattern. Where things stand now, I am rooting for the AK vortex to retro and a building EPO ridge, which we are seeing hints of on the LR guidance. A -NAO is generally favored later in winter in a Nino, so I think we will get our blocky periods.

Another clue that the pac isn't going to destroy our hopes and dreams for weeks is the latest couple gfs op runs. Verbatim d11-15 is crazy talk but the op runs have diverged from the narrative of a terrible pac.  

Previously the long range ops looked just like the ens with mild north america and big GoA trough. That has been morphing just like the ens ever so slowly backing away from the worst case. A few more days of favorable trends (however small) and we can put the big relaxation idea to bed. It will still prob get mild in the conus no matter what but if it only lasts a few days then who cares. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Have you noticed this threats timing has slowed.  Its still in the day 5 range . Just small changes ( at 120 hr leads no doubt) could allow for a nice little event . Heck.. I saw 1 0z gefs member (P004) that closed off at h5 and crushes many areas .

The potential has been predicated on energy moving out of the Rockies and attivating the stalled frontal boundary NE Gulf. This has left us with a series of surface waves at this point, and any development delayed in the models. What we know. Quasistationary boundary still there. Vortmax could amplify broad 500mb trof. Energy has yet to move ashore from Pacific. When it does the solution will be made clear without forecast propagation next 48hrs.

Aside: When we did everything by hand, we used the term "trof." Too old to change....

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

I thought the EPS looked pretty decent for the 9/10th threat....a few more hits in there than 12z and not as many southern sliders.

That's good to hear.  Even though its still 9 days out, its always good to hear the EPS members suggesting some good hits for our region

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Well the 5th looks dead on the GFS.  So....,

Yea, pretty weak sauce but can't rule out a comeback. If I only had access to the vort panels I would think we are in the cross hairs for a weak/sheared event. Not often you see h5 vort panels look like this but basically nothing going on at the surface. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_18.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic