Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
MetHerb

Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

On 10/19/2018 at 10:52 PM, dendrite said:

I had a frozen puddle remaining this evening on the north side of the house. I'm staying safe the best I can.

Did you lace up your figure skates?

50 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks, Scott.   A lot of craziness on the personal side of life between this, work, etc., etc.  Hopefully there will be snow events soon and hopefully I'll have the time to actually follow them.

The qpf will not be a problem, But the CF will be at times.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Damn kid, you’re on a tight budget but you’re getting an expensive whip? If you don’t put up big miles, consider leasing....owning depreciating assets is not ideal. But if you want to own, I get it, why spend some much on used though?

Negotiating dealerships is a coc waving contest. You can bring the price down by leveraging the saturated market and their need to make numbers....but in the end, they won’t sell unless it’s in their favor. In your case, without knowing what you’re buying and how likely they can sell it, hard to know how much you can knock em down. I usually ask for service incentives over price reductions but that’s just me. Something to think about, however. GL.

Lol well, it’s more necessity. I’m essential personnel for the town I work for when it comes to snow removal and I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get in during storms. 

The plan was to swap cars with my dad if I knew I storm was coming, but there is a good chance they will no longer own the SUV after this week.

Not ideal, as I’d rathee just keep my car

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Lol well, it’s more necessity. I’m essential personnel for the town I work for when it comes to snow removal and I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get in during storms. 

The plan was to swap cars with my dad if I knew I storm was coming, but there is a good chance they will no longer own the SUV after this week.

Nice man, got that job AND you can weenie out in it...huge win. 

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So as personnel for the Town, are they providing any monetary help towards the vehicle or are you technically a "subcontrocator"?  27k is steep for a used vehicle but I can see why with it being a truck.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The qpf will not be a problem, But the CF will be at times.

True.  It's a good snow-spot regardless.  Playing with the CF fire is a far easier undertaking there than it is in SNE.   I remember when I was living up there a dozen years ago, Cool Spruce and I would be awaiting the arrival of the front.  Even when it did reach us, there'd be enough of a front-end pounding that we'd still typically come out on the winning side.

Facebook reminding me of the big October 2010 storm that plastered the mountain with feet of heavy wet paste.  

I remember Jim Cantore was doing live shots from 2,000ft in Stowe during 2"/hr snows...while I was watching catpaws accumulate slush on car windshields at home at 750ft.  Funny to be watching TWC live in your town getting crushed with snow and then look outside and see something much different.

IMG_0964.JPG

Well not sure what kind of 4 wheel drive you want or need. We have a Honda CRV and it’s great in the snow. Got me through 2015. We got it new that year, but I’m sure you can find something fairly new at that price, if you’re not caring too much about a big vehicle.  Also as others said, look into leasing. I’m not sure how many miles you drive a day, but easy guessing will have you figure out if leasing is good for you. 

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Anyone see flakes this morning?

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Anyone see flakes this morning?

If anything is was in the hinterlands of  nrn orh county. Got together a little too far to the east where boundary layer was mild anyways. Potent bugger. Would have been decent a few weeks from now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Well not sure what kind of 4 wheel drive you want or need. We have a Honda CRV and it’s great in the snow. Got me through 2015. We got it new that year, but I’m sure you can find something fairly new at that price, if you’re not caring too much about a big vehicle.  Also as others said, look into leasing. I’m not sure how many miles you drive a day, but easy guessing will have you figure out if leasing is good for you. 

I second the CRV. Heck, at 25k, get a brand new one with low interest. 

I’ve had a 2001 Cherokee for years now and it’s always great in the snow. Of course, I’ve also replaced the starter, the radiator, and the exhaust system in the time I’ve had it lol. 

Like others have said, a lease is probably best to look into if the used vehicles you’re looking at are still prohibitively expensive. 

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Subaru or Mitsubishi are pretty cheap for AWD

Almost bought a Subie this spring. Went with another Mazda CX-5...wife has one as well.  Great little car.

The Mitsubishi’s are a decent value but are a bit odd...neighbor has a 2017 and he likes it.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

One of our cars is a leased CRV.  The 2018 is our 4th-love it!

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Subaru or Mitsubishi are pretty cheap for AWD

You can get a new Subaru Impreza for about 20k with 0.9 apr financing through Subaru. My wife bought hers last Jan. A solid cheap awd car with alot of features for the money and gets 36+ highway mpg. Subarus are also rated number 1 I believe in resale value. 

• Like 2

Even BTV putting up -SN obs this afternoon... it feels like it should be after Thanksgiving.  Visibility is real high but still getting pure flakes at 300ft elevation at max heating on 10/21 is impressive.

With 3 days this week of flakes in the air even in the valleys, I almost get the feeling like it'll be weeks until we see an air mass like these again.  

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Almost bought a Subie this spring. Went with another Mazda CX-5...wife has one as well.  Great little car.

The Mitsubishi’s are a decent value but are a bit odd...neighbor has a 2017 and he likes it.

I think I'm done with Subaru.  I love the cars but they are money pits.

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

:lol: I'm definitely jealous of Mitch's home location but I also just walked from my front door down the Rec Path to a place to share a scorpion bowl and some sushi with my wife before the NCLS Game 7 started.  I'm a born and raised suburban kid, ha, so I enjoy having civilization comforts so close by.  As I've said before, where I am right now I can easily walk to everything from breweries like the Alchemist to a dozen restaurants and the closest to me happens to be a hibachi japanese steakhouse like you'd find in any suburb, usually sitting next to the Olive Garden or something. 

And it's an 8 minute drive to 1,500ft in the Stowe parking lots.

You definitely live in a Sweet Spot that's for sure. Like all the pictures of your pup still remember him bounding in the snow when you first got him.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think I'm done with Subaru.  I love the cars but they are money pits.

You probably had a pre 2011. They had major head gasket issues and needed the expensive timing belt maintenance done. 

The head gasket issue was resolved and they went over to timing chains that never need replacement on the engines around 2011-2012.