Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Well not sure what kind of 4 wheel drive you want or need. We have a Honda CRV and it’s great in the snow. Got me through 2015. We got it new that year, but I’m sure you can find something fairly new at that price, if you’re not caring too much about a big vehicle.  Also as others said, look into leasing. I’m not sure how many miles you drive a day, but easy guessing will have you figure out if leasing is good for you. 

I second the CRV. Heck, at 25k, get a brand new one with low interest. 

I’ve had a 2001 Cherokee for years now and it’s always great in the snow. Of course, I’ve also replaced the starter, the radiator, and the exhaust system in the time I’ve had it lol. 

Like others have said, a lease is probably best to look into if the used vehicles you’re looking at are still prohibitively expensive. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Well not sure what kind of 4 wheel drive you want or need. We have a Honda CRV and it’s great in the snow. Got me through 2015. We got it new that year, but I’m sure you can find something fairly new at that price, if you’re not caring too much about a big vehicle.  Also as others said, look into leasing. I’m not sure how many miles you drive a day, but easy guessing will have you figure out if leasing is good for you. 

One of our cars is a leased CRV.  The 2018 is our 4th-love it!

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Subaru or Mitsubishi are pretty cheap for AWD

You can get a new Subaru Impreza for about 20k with 0.9 apr financing through Subaru. My wife bought hers last Jan. A solid cheap awd car with alot of features for the money and gets 36+ highway mpg. Subarus are also rated number 1 I believe in resale value. 

• Like 2

Even BTV putting up -SN obs this afternoon... it feels like it should be after Thanksgiving.  Visibility is real high but still getting pure flakes at 300ft elevation at max heating on 10/21 is impressive.

With 3 days this week of flakes in the air even in the valleys, I almost get the feeling like it'll be weeks until we see an air mass like these again.  

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

:lol: I'm definitely jealous of Mitch's home location but I also just walked from my front door down the Rec Path to a place to share a scorpion bowl and some sushi with my wife before the NCLS Game 7 started.  I'm a born and raised suburban kid, ha, so I enjoy having civilization comforts so close by.  As I've said before, where I am right now I can easily walk to everything from breweries like the Alchemist to a dozen restaurants and the closest to me happens to be a hibachi japanese steakhouse like you'd find in any suburb, usually sitting next to the Olive Garden or something. 

And it's an 8 minute drive to 1,500ft in the Stowe parking lots.

You definitely live in a Sweet Spot that's for sure. Like all the pictures of your pup still remember him bounding in the snow when you first got him.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think I'm done with Subaru.  I love the cars but they are money pits.

You probably had a pre 2011. They had major head gasket issues and needed the expensive timing belt maintenance done. 

The head gasket issue was resolved and they went over to timing chains that never need replacement on the engines around 2011-2012. 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

You definitely live in a Sweet Spot that's for sure. Like all the pictures of your pup still remember him bounding in the snow when you first got him.

Speaking of pups, say hello to Lucy! 8 weeks old Lab/pointer/great pyrenees mix we just adopted. It's a guarantee it's going to be cold and miserable all winter since she needs to go out so frequently. 

And on that note, posted picture on NNE thread but the coating today resulted in icicles off my roof! Seems crazy for daytime in October 

54CB410A-E827-4CA8-8009-28231A1D9EAB.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, alex said:

Speaking of pups, say hello to Lucy! 8 weeks old Lab/pointer/great pyrenees mix we just adopted. It's a guarantee it's going to be cold and miserable all winter since she needs to go out so frequently. 

And on that note, posted picture on NNE thread but the coating today resulted in icicles off my roof! Seems crazy for daytime in October 

Pic of Lucy?

This is crazy for how cold it is.  Snow has started accumulating even down in town despite the light rates.  Fake snow season has started too as this snow growth is incredible, light fluffy dendrites floating down.  

It looks mundane on radar but its keeping the persistent snow going downwind of Mansfield (county line) on RT 108 here.  Cold air, moisture meet mountains. 

IMG_0971.GIF.67b84e2fdd3edda0044d016d436ea566.GIF

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is crazy for how cold it is.  Snow has started accumulating even down in town despite the light rates.  Fake snow season has started too as this snow growth is incredible, light fluffy dendrites floating down.  

It looks mundane on radar but its keeping the persistent snow going downwind of Mansfield (county line) on RT 108 here.  Cold air, moisture meet mountains. 

IMG_0971.GIF.67b84e2fdd3edda0044d016d436ea566.GIF

It seems more widespread than regular upslope. We were in the NEK this afternoon for a birthday party of a school friend of my son and it was light snow the whole way, although not sticking down in the lower valleys

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

You probably had a pre 2011. They had major head gasket issues and needed the expensive timing belt maintenance done. 

The head gasket issue was resolved and they went over to timing chains that never need replacement on the engines around 2011-2012. 

Unfortunately our mechanic has seen as late as 2014 models with head gasket issues. If I could find a one owner, 5 speed, turbo Outback I would be interested.

4 hours ago, alex said:

54CB410A-E827-4CA8-8009-28231A1D9EAB.jpeg

Omg  gonna be beauty