Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

6 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Short doesn't have to be useless.  Terse, thought out items that convey the most salient points are possible.  Self editing seems to be a rare skill.

It's rare though in something as complex as meteorology....and your last point certainly doesn't help either.

It is what it is. The convo/discussion went downhill, but the info flows in faster than it used to. If you are skilled enough on here to filter out the 80% crud that gets posted, then you'll be just fine.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Other than work .. does anyone use computers anymore? Even laptops have become somewhat obsolete other than work . Life is about change. The board has changed because the world and society change and are changing daily . And what’s noticeable on here is the few folks (not you obviously)that refuse to adapt and change and join social media.. struggle at times here . 

Luckily through all the societal changes, your posting style has remained the same since day one (except for liking cold weather in the summer).  We all need some consistency, you were just ahead of the curve back then ;).

The amateurs are more informed today and everyone has access to the models too. It's not like 2000 when we were on dial up and waiting for DT to analyze and relay the 1 ECMWF run of the day. There was still a lot of error in those d3-5 ranges too...especially from the GGEM, MRF, and NOGAPS. You would put a lot of stock into those LR forecasters for their calls, maps, and analysis. Today, the resolution is so good and the models are pretty damn good with the pattern to the point where it's hard to stray too far from model guidance if there is a general consensus.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Luckily through all the societal changes, your posting style has remained the same since day one (except for liking cold weather in the summer).  We all need some consistency, you were just ahead of the curve back then ;).

I have def changed and adapted to the needs and uses of the board over the years. As the board has become a social media extension to 95% of the posters, I have adapted. Just as you have . As I’ve grown older, I have learned to like and enjoy HHH wx more and more. I won’t deny that . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have def changed and adapted to the needs and uses of the board over the years. As the board has become a social media extension to 95% of the posters, I have adapted. Just as you have . As I’ve grown older, I have learned to like and enjoy HHH wx more and more. I won’t deny that . 

Maybe someday you will be AHATT?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's rare though in something as complex as meteorology....and your last point certainly doesn't help either.

It is what it is. The convo/discussion went downhill, but the info flows in faster than it used to. If you are skilled enough on here to filter out the 80% crud that gets posted, then you'll be just fine.

Only so much we can discern over the warm months. I don’t want to read nor do I care for a 4 paragraph post about the differences between Bermuda and Antigua blues, or how the fog dissipated one August morning. Come winter, there is valuable info from pros and many hobbyists, sprinkled with comedic satire from the rest. I enjoy the ‘clowning’ that floats around, it makes the forum fun. I personally have learned a bunch these past few years and that’s because this place isn’t just a graduate course where the studious kids in the front of classroom talk amongst themselves. Everyone gets involved here, no matter the level. Wouldn’t change a thing. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Only so much we can discern over the warm months. I don’t want to read nor do I care for a 4 paragraph post about the differences between Bermuda and Antigua blues, or how the fog dissipated one August morning. Come winter, there is valuable info from pros and many hobbyists, sprinkled with comedic satire from the rest. I enjoy the ‘clowning’ that floats around, it makes the forum fun. I personally have learned a bunch these past few years and that’s because this place isn’t just a graduate course where the studious kids in the front of classroom talk amongst themselves. Everyone gets involved here, no matter the level. Wouldn’t change a thing. 

Who knew we could make dews fun?

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No, that will never happen. I love snow too much . It’s why I started the seasons in seasons concept. And we’ve gotten most users here to grasp and embrace that concept . It just makes sense 

I guess. But global warming is shrinking your fall and spring. You went from liking cooler weather in the summer in the mid 2000s to getting that Morch itch and then endless summer into Torchtober. Maybe someday you will be yearning for Mowvember, Dewcember, Tanuary, and Flamuary?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah and I won't lie, as I've gotten older I haven't come to enjoy HHH but what Ive noticed is that I enjoy milder weather in the fall/spring.  Like right now it's been interesting this week with the light dustings of snow but I know I'd enjoy 70F and sun if we had that.  Also my passion for brutal winter cold isn't there anymore, just needs to be cold enough to snow.

And yeah smart phones have changed the forum... I used to be good for like 2-3 well thought-out posts a day.  Now might as well drive-by post while I wait for the wife to pick out spices at the supermarket, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah and I won't lie, as I've gotten older I haven't come to enjoy HHH but what Ive noticed is that I enjoy milder weather in the fall/spring.  Like right now it's been interesting this week with the light dustings of snow but I know I'd enjoy 70F and sun if we had that.  Also my passion for brutal winter cold isn't there anymore, just needs to be cold enough to snow.

And yeah smart phones have changed the forum... I used to be good for like 2-3 well thought-out posts a day.  Now might as well drive-by post while I wait for the wife to pick out spices at the supermarket, lol.

Even at work .. I know most of us here use our phones to browse and post . Other than someone who still has a flip phone and Dell tower pC on the floor , it’s the world we live in. No one is sitting at home with a laptop on their lap , watching it rise when the Euro comes out with feet of snow and lower when the GFS  is OTS 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Even at work .. I know most of us here use our phones to browse and post . Other than someone who still has a flip phone and Dell tower pC on the floor , it’s the world we live . No one is sitting at home with a laptop on their lap , watching it rise when the Euro comes out with feet and lower when the GfS is OTS 

Ha, I still use a laptop for photography and I think most would agree... to fully Weenie out over a winter storm it's better on a computer or laptop.  Model data, radars, 10 browser tabs open... it just isn't the same on the small screen.  Laptop rising while watching Jim Cantore live coverage on TWC during a snow blitz...

There's still a time and a place for breaking out the old laptop or desktop in weather.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well it wasn't only pros posting diatribes in 2005...there was a ton of interaction...it was just less 1-2 sentence posts than now.

Since there were fewer people back then too, we weren't segmented into regions...we posted with the mid-atlantic crowd. We knew those posters very well...now I probably don't know many M.A. posters who weren't around before 2011 or so.

I'm not against the faster pace, but I do not like the watered down discussion compared to years ago. Dendrite is probably right too that the ease of model access also changed things...and it sometimes leads to really bad interpretation of model data. Mostly an issue on social media, since we can quickly call out the bad interpretation on here...but on social media, the weenie snow maps spread like wildfire way faster than anyone can contain the hype.

I am quite stuck on something and I can't figure this out. 

I need to fill out this table and the first column was already filled out so I'm going through the equations to see if I yield similar numbers to the results of the first column and I don't. 

In order to find the vapor pressure you need to know the mixing ratio and to find the mixing ratio you need to know the vapor pressure. 

But I can't get their answer of 19.7 

755133722_430ch5.jpg.13181aa7123c215e2e433554127b385c.jpg

Can't figure out why the big struggle with this...did similar stuff in thermodyanmics or dynamics. But I'm missing something

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Even at work .. I know most of us here use our phones to browse and post . Other than someone who still has a flip phone and Dell tower pC on the floor , it’s the world we live in. No one is sitting at home with a laptop on their lap , watching it rise when the Euro comes out with feet of snow and lower when the GFS  is OTS 

If I'm home I do almost everything on a laptop with a 17" screen or surf with a 9.7" iPad.  Why would you stare at a phone screen and type with your thumbs if you didn't have to?   I'm actually going for a 21" iMac soon. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I am quite stuck on something and I can't figure this out. 

I need to fill out this table and the first column was already filled out so I'm going through the equations to see if I yield similar numbers to the results of the first column and I don't. 

In order to find the vapor pressure you need to know the mixing ratio and to find the mixing ratio you need to know the vapor pressure. 

But I can't get their answer of 19.7 

755133722_430ch5.jpg.13181aa7123c215e2e433554127b385c.jpg

Can't figure out why the big struggle with this...did similar stuff in thermodyanmics or dynamics. But I'm missing something

RH = (e/es)*100?

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

RH = (e/es)*100?

I did that and was able to obtain the RH they did. So I was assuming the es value I obtained was correct b/c when I did the 19.7 for e divided by my es I got 84%.

But what stumps me is beginning to fill out the second column given only the temp, dewpoint, and pressure. My newest guess is figuring out dewpoint given the temp, wet-bulb and once I know dewpoint I can find e then w, and everything else falls into place 

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idk why but seeing you write the natural log in all caps is really bothering me more than it should. lol

:weenie:

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My bad...was thinking the RH was given. What are you getting for a value for e?

I got just over 20. I used the Clausius-Clapeyron for using Td since knowing Td you can directly find e...which is what is needed to find. They got 19.7. I have tried moving onto solving the rest of the columns...figuring if I could at least get the same values they did for column 1 it means I'm using the right equations. I did get the correct mixing ration they got and RH but for some reason my e is off. I have found es and when I divide the e they have by my es I get 84%...but when I divide by my e and es I get much greater than 84%.

Is it possible to find Td given just temp and Tw?1758631016_4302.jpg.ab307d8f5dddfd0471a56fe2d37176e0.jpg

30 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I got just over 20. I used the Clausius-Clapeyron for using Td since knowing Td you can directly find e...which is what is needed to find. They got 19.7. I have tried moving onto solving the rest of the columns...figuring if I could at least get the same values they did for column 1 it means I'm using the right equations. I did get the correct mixing ration they got and RH but for some reason my e is off. I have found es and when I divide the e they have by my es I get 84%...but when I divide by my e and es I get much greater than 84%.

Is it possible to find Td given just temp and Tw?1758631016_4302.jpg.ab307d8f5dddfd0471a56fe2d37176e0.jpg

well I did end up with their value of e (19.70. Used e = wp / 0.622 + w)

But now I'm see where I'm confused...

It's figuring out exactly which of the variables I can solve for first given only P, T, and Tw. But I think I may have it...RH can be calculated this way and it would involve finding es...and if I know es and RH I can find e and w!!!

49 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Are you trying to calculate for es here? You plugged Tw in there to find e which I don't think is correct...isn't that supposed to be Td which you don't have? es should be 23 something.

I use a phone at work-never post on work servers.   At home mainly an iPad but sometimes a phone.  The only time I use a laptop is when I’m working from home or working on a project that involves presentations that could be as much as a half gig or more in size.  I need mobility and even laptops don’t give you what a truly mobile device does.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Are you trying to calculate for es here? You plugged Tw in there to find e which I don't think is correct...isn't that supposed to be Td which you don't have? es should be 23 something.

yes I did get 23.47 when solving for es. 

When I used the equation

e = es - Ap(T-Tw) A = 0.00062°C-1 p = 800 hPa T = 20C Tw = 18C I obtained 23.47 - .992 = 22.478 for e. 

When I did the 19.7 they show for e divided by 23.47 I get the 84% RH but when I use my e divided by my es I get like 96% RH. 

So I'm doing something wrong with calculating for e I think.

but...this is for the first column where they already have everything filled in...I'm just trying to work the process to see if I get similar numbers so I know I'm doing the rest of the columns correctly. The rest of the columns we're only given P, T, and Tw which makes it more difficult lol

Wow, Math, I could have been a meteorologist back in 2014/2015 year, but money was cut short back when I was a freshman in College, 2009 was my only year in school, the roadblocks and obstacles kept finding their way into my life.  Now at the age of 29, I figure a school is no longer an option.  Writing is all I have now and the weather.  I am on disability from the military, which is thankfully getting me through my life.  Do I want to stay that way, of course not, but my body needs tremendous help, it's fighting a mental illness and a physical illness at the same time, both likely going to be here until I die?  It can be depressing if you think about it too much and think you are a burden on your family.  I can understand that my dad says I am not, I know I am.  My love for the weather fuels my life right now.  To write a blockbuster novel is a dream of mine that might help get me financial independence, but that will be a while.  The weather and sports can take away my depression, a snowstorm really gets my adrenaline rushing and then when the rush of snow finally starts as the storm starts, it feels like a letdown.  Especially if we don't get 24"+.  I love the blockbuster nor'easters, NEMO, Jan 05, Juno and JONAS all storms I loved, even if NEMO brought us 17", I still loved that storm.  Anyways, that was just an update on me.  I hope this lets you know A little about me as we head into the winter season.

• Like 2