Newest Member
    joxey
Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tdp146 said:

Are you in Merrick? Passing through  now it’s definitely gusting hard. You can feel the train move when it stops. 

Yes.  I'm a couple miles north of the train station. 

Just non-stop sirens for the last 30 mins.

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

It didn't differentiate between non-accumulating snow and accumulating snow. I've never been in this situation.  Is that a thing?

Been snowing on the Ocean Parkway both times I was on it today. 

Kuckera should have dealt with the issue but was still way too high.

this storm was unique in that I had white rain for 7 hours now. Never seen that before. Pounding white rain all day long. 

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Kuckera should have dealt with the issue but was still way too high.

this storm was unique in that I had white rain for 7 hours now. Never seen that before. Pounding white rain all day long. 

I remember the same in December 1992 on the north shore of Nassau.  It was raining, but there were telltale splats on the windshield.

Left work at 3:00 where I have some elevation. There was a solid 4-5” on the ground there. When I got to the bottom of the hill on rt 17 I was pretty shocked to still see grass with just spotty accumulations. Since then things have really changed, and there’s 3” here at home, keep in mind I only live 1.2 miles from work. So that’s a solid warning criteria event with some minor elevation and a good 3-6” storm here in the “valley”. Granted the elevation increases quite a bit as you cross from Saddle River into Ramsey.

6 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

4 inches on the ground in Colts Neck 

Heavy snow , been sitting under the deformation band since 3 pm 

Should end up with close to 6 here 

Unbelievable how wrong some of the high res models were here. This morning the high res RGEM had me getting a foot. Even the 12z Euro had 8” here. The boundary layer just stayed ridiculously torched. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

Unbelievable how wrong some of the high res models were here. This morning the high res RGEM had me getting a foot. Even the 12z Euro had 8” here. The boundary layer just stayed ridiculously torched. 

The NAM and Euro are going to be vindicated down the spine of CNJ into SE PA , but the BL for the most part killed this for anyone around NYC just N and then E the mesos missed that 

Hard pill to swallow , perfect SW closed off just right but it came in the midst of a disaster of an airmass 

When you see places like Hunter Mtn get 40 you wonder what could of been

We are in a sweet spot here , we are probably looking at 6 inches before this is over 

Archived