joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still dumping and the wind is still roaring through the trees. If the snow wasn't melting from the bottom up all day I'd have easily passed a foot. As it is I've got about 6" otg of ultra dense, soggy glue that is painful to shovel. I'm totally not looking forward to dealing with the plow pile when the next one comes by. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Snow trying to mix in now. Still crazy gusts. Saw a small tree snapped in half when I went out for a drive an hour ago. 

This storm became a major inconvenience for me, my power was out for 3 hours from 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM and no heat, my phone died and no water.  Worst since Sandy.  Why the power lines haven't been buried underground like they've done in NYC and PA I don't know, but it needs to be done.

31 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

4 inches on the ground in Colts Neck 

Heavy snow , been sitting under the deformation band since 3 pm 

Should end up with close to 6 here 

Monmouth County....I can't believe it again. Has snowed most of the day here and you wouldn't know it. Never seen snow rip so hard and fail to accumulate.

20 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

The NAM and Euro are going to be vindicated down the spine of CNJ into SE PA , but the BL for the most part killed this for anyone around NYC just N and then E the mesos missed that 

Hard pill to swallow , perfect SW closed off just right but it came in the midst of a disaster of an airmass 

When you see places like Hunter Mtn get 40 you wonder what could of been

We are in a sweet spot here , we are probably looking at 6 inches before this is over 

You just cant get a widespread 6+ storm March 1 or later without a pure Arctic airmass in place, and this storm was just more proof for that.

13 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Also the best forcing was West so overcoming BLs was very difficult.

Is that why the Jersey shore got more snow than we did up here?  Weird thing is the radar shows all snow falling here but thats not what's going on.  It's some sort of light mix going on outside and has been all day.  Neither the rain nor the snow has been moderate or heavy and visibility has been around 5 miles all day.

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

You just cant get a widespread 6+ storm March 1 or later without a pure Arctic airmass in place, and this storm was just more proof for that.

Tell me about it. Have only experienced a few decent events in my entire adult life in March. May be due to some unique geography; at sea level but not on the water. Seem to always be between the best bands which are north or south. Price you pay for living in the "crossroads" of NJ. Actually, there is very little to recommend it. Am looking at lakefronts in ME.

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Is that why the Jersey shore got more snow than we did up here?  Weird thing is the radar shows all snow falling here but thats not what's going on.  It's some sort of light mix going on outside and has been all day.  Neither the rain nor the snow has been moderate or heavy and visibility has been around 5 miles all day.

It's been snowing nicely here for hours; just isn't piling up at all. Like it gets zapped on hitting the ground.

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I remember the same in December 1992 on the north shore of Nassau.  It was raining, but there were telltale splats on the windshield.

December 1992 was in a completely different class compared to this storm- people who think this storm was historic weren't around for that behemoth.  We had 2-4" of snow but it all fell on the last day of the storm.  That's still the greatest coastal storm I've ever experienced.

As far as greatest March storm, no way could this have surpassed March 1888 or March 1993 even if it was all snow. Completely different class.

47 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It’s not March 2010 windy yet, but we’re definitely having gusts to 60. 

It feels worse than March 2010 because of the 3 hour power outage- we had no power outage in March 2010 or in the far superior December 1992 for that matter.  Has our power grid actually gotten worse?  If December 1992 happened today, I imagine our power would have been out for a week.  Time to bury those power lines......  Even our water pressure and quality seems to have gotten a lot worse since 2010.

1 minute ago, Animal said:

shocked that all you have at your house

Trust me bro.. No one is more shocked than I am! lol.. Between some sort of warm bubble aloft and most likely subsidence from that death band that demolished the catskills today I had no chance. My elevation did allow me to get something. Some places up here you wouldn't even know it snowed a few miles away

This storm became a major inconvenience for me, my power was out for 3 hours from 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM and no heat, my phone died and no water.  Worst since Sandy.  Why the power lines haven't been buried underground like they've done in NYC and PA I don't know, but it needs to be done.
I'm sorry to hear that. For the record, burying power lines creates a myriad of issues. It creates serious dangers for the potential of energizing the ground we walk on in the event of a failure, and it makes it incredibly cumbersome to work on. Power outages will be less frequent, but much longer in duration when they do occur.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Tell me about it. Have only experienced a few decent events in my entire adult life in March. May be due to some unique geography; at sea level but not on the water. Seem to always be between the best bands which are north or south. Price you pay for living in the "crossroads" of NJ. Actually, there is very little to recommend it. Am looking at lakefronts in ME.

Going back to the 80s, I dont remember many big March events.  As a matter of fact, for the JFK area, there have been only 3x  6+ widespread March events that I can recall.......... March 1993, March 2009, March 2015

We had one in March 1996 also that was 7 inches here, but I think we were in the jackpot, I dont recall anyone else in the immediate area getting 6+.

We also had 6+ in April in two events, April 1982 and April 2003.  April 1996 was close but we fell just short at 5 inches.  East of us got a lot more.

It's been snowing nicely here for hours; just isn't piling up at all. Like it gets zapped on hitting the ground.
Part of the issue here is the fact that this storm was relying solely on itself to produce the Cold air. There was legitimately no low level cold air in place. The PV split off and sent everything to the European continent (in terms of cold). Consequently, there was not even any polar air to pull, much less artic. The AO being - 5 was useless to us as it just allowed the cold air to dump across the pond. Where it did snow was because the storm was using the dynamics to pull the cold down, therefore the heavier bands on the jersey Shore produced more snow than up here.

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I'm sorry to hear that. For the record, burying power lines creates a myriad of issues. It creates serious dangers for the potential of energizing the ground we walk on in the event of a failure, and it makes it incredibly cumbersome to work on. Power outages will be less frequent, but much longer in duration when they do occur.

That's interesting, I didn't know that.  It makes a lot of sense though, unfortunately the power companies that have been given charge of this area have been incompetent and get replaced after fumbling power outages post- big storm.  PSEG is the fourth power company we've had since I've lived here.

Archived