Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Going back to the 80s, I dont remember many big March events.  As a matter of fact, for the JFK area, there have been only 3x  6+ widespread March events that I can recall.......... March 1993, March 2009, March 2015

We had one in March 1996 also that was 7 inches here, but I think we were in the jackpot, I dont recall anyone else in the immediate area getting 6+.

We also had 6+ in April in two events, April 1982 and April 2003.  April 1996 was close but we fell just short at 5 inches.  East of us got a lot more.

The April 96 storm missed my area entirely. We did get the slushy mush in 2003 of 3-6, but the gold standard for late season storms remains April 82. Which was a real snowstorm with powder not heavy slush.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Part of the issue here is the fact that this storm was relying solely on itself to produce the Cold air. There was legitimately no low level cold air in place. The PV split off and sent everything to the European continent (in terms of cold). Consequently, there was not even any polar air to pull, much less artic. The AO being - 5 was useless to us as it just allowed the cold air to dump across the pond. Where it did snow was because the storm was using the dynamics to pull the cold down, therefore the heavier bands on the jersey Shore produced more snow than up here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I asked this last week but got no solid answer- what determines where the cold air goes? Is it the Pacific that pushed the cold air into Europe?

I heard there was a big blizzard in the UK and even Paris had their first 6+ snowstorm since the 1980s.

9 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Part of the issue here is the fact that this storm was relying solely on itself to produce the Cold air. There was legitimately no low level cold air in place. The PV split off and sent everything to the European continent (in terms of cold). Consequently, there was not even any polar air to pull, much less artic. The AO being - 5 was useless to us as it just allowed the cold air to dump across the pond. Where it did snow was because the storm was using the dynamics to pull the cold down, therefore the heavier bands on the jersey Shore produced more snow than up here.

"the heavier bands on the Jersey Shore" man am I tired of hearing that....but it wouldn't make me move there. I'll take a ME lake over the  Jersey shore any day, and the fishing is better too. And I grew up fishing the NJ shore...been about a decade they've been totaling higher amounts. I 've hear it's like a lake effect, though this was never apparent when I was younger.

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

The April 96 storm missed my area entirely. We did get the slushy mush in 2003 of 3-6, but the gold standard for late season storms remains April 82. Which was a real snowstorm with powder not heavy slush.

Dont know if we'll see anything like that again in our lifetime in March, let alone April.

13 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I'm sorry to hear that. For the record, burying power lines creates a myriad of issues. It creates serious dangers for the potential of energizing the ground we walk on in the event of a failure, and it makes it incredibly cumbersome to work on. Power outages will be less frequent, but much longer in duration when they do occur.

Yes. Plus, I've heard some rough estimates to actually get it done. Something like take everyone's electric bill up ×5.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

I asked this last week but got no solid answer- what determines where the cold air goes? Is it the Pacific that pushed the cold air into Europe?

I heard there was a big blizzard in the UK.

I had been reading about that at other sites awhile back, while some here thought the blocking would do something for us; in fact the other sites I read, which were not weather related but at times discuss things like this, didn't even consider that our area would see much effect.

March 2010 and March 2015 were both very good here but both happened in the first week of March.  Technically they are late season, but you can't really find something later than that that was really good here since March 1993.  With a slightly better track that could have easily equaled March 1888 or even exceeded it (on the same dates too.)

I still can't believe that it changed over to snow real quick today around 7 30 a.m.,,,it came down hard and I immediately had around an inch or 2  of slop , actually went out with my kid and cleared the driveway and then it snowed for hours before turning to pouring rain and back . Then it snowed the rest of the day and I have zero to show for it . I keep reading how so many areas some well south of me and no elevations received accumulations and here nada .  I have to tell you that even if something shows up midweek or down the road It will be hard to get excited about it. I am kind of ready to say goodbye to this beat winter and get in Spring mode.

1 minute ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I still can't believe that it changed over to snow real quick today around 7 30 a.m.,,,it came down hard and I immediately had around an inch or 2  of slop , actually went out with my kid and cleared the driveway and then it snowed for hours before turning to pouring rain and back . Then it snowed the rest of the day and I have zero to show for it . I keep reading how so many areas some well south of me and no elevations received accumulations and here nada .  I have to tell you that even if something shows up midweek or down the road It will be hard to get excited about it. I am kind of ready to say goodbye to this beat winter and get in Spring mode.

Yeah the event next week is already being downplayed as a much weaker and mix event.

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

March 2010 and March 2015 were both very good here but both happened in the first week of March.  Technically they are late season, but you can't really find something later than that that was really good here since March 1993.  With a slightly better track that could have easily equaled March 1888 or even exceeded it (on the same dates too.)

And yet I have been taken to the woodshed here for writing about this. March 2010 was all rain here, and March 2015 had one cold event that was 3-6 and a later one that melted within a day that was around 2-3. Big March storms just don't happen a lot in a widespread, forum wide way ( covering myself for you folks at elevation, who are a little different with weather )

4 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Oh I've been done. Ever since Jan 4 was more or less a disappointment for my area. Prolonged Feb warmup then torch, 80 degree temps, a smaller event that melted in a day, good riddance. Not the most boring winter, but clearly not a memorable one for many of us. But i take solace in the millions of people who are glad for that, who hate the cold and winter but put up with it for career or family reasons. At least other people are happy with it.

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

And yet I have been taken to the woodshed here for writing about this. March 2010 was all rain here, and March 2015 had one cold event that was 3-6 and a later one that melted within a day that was around 2-3. Big March storms just don't happen a lot in a widespread, forum wide way ( covering myself for you folks at elevation, who are a little different with weather )

I also dont find March to be good for snow if February torched.  You really need arctic air established in advance to get a good March snowstorm and a record warm February is a good sign that it's just not cold enough on our side of the country.  Borderline cold just doesn't cut it in my experience for this part of the area.  Results are probably different NW of here and even NE of here on the north shore of the Island.  But when I'm talking about a widespread 6"+ snowstorm, I mean the entire region, not just some parts of the area.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

I also dont find March to be good for snow if February torched.  You really need arctic air established in advance to get a good March snowstorm and a record warm February is a good sign that it's just not cold enough.  Borderline cold just doesn't cut it in my experience for this part of the area.  Results are probably different NW of here and even NE of here on the north shore of the Island.  

The typical March storm for me looks kinda like today. Now imagine the 90's where this would be the case for most of the winter; with 93, 94, and 96 being exceptions. The nothing some 5 years. My snowblower gathered dust. Didn't get pulled out til Jan 2001. Then put back until 2003...

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

The damage from Sandy is still very evident in some areas of "south" Freeport.  Anyway, minor flooding has commenced. 

They have never cleaned up the trails here in a lot of places; the trees fell and still lay there. So the less well known trails are impassable in some spots.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

They have never cleaned up the trails here in a lot of places; the trees fell and still lay there. So the less well known trails are impassable in some spots.

Yup.  They never cleaned up the trees that line the parkways here. 

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Yup.  They never cleaned up the trees that line the parkways here. 

I read somewhere that the numbers of downed trees were in the hundreds of thousands, and that was after Irene and the October snow had taken a toll. In my area the 17 year ciccadas in 2013 was the final nail for some trees. Killed my old oak.

45 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I heard there was a big blizzard in the UK and even Paris had their first 6+ snowstorm since the 1980s.

Most SSWs impact either Asia or the US.  The belief is the increased landmass/vs ocean has something to do with that.  The last 2-3 major ones though have more impacted Europe going back to 2010 for whatever reason.  Its probably just pure randomness.  In reality this one DID impact the US as well but the Pacific being bad negated it,

19 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

The typical March storm for me looks kinda like today. Now imagine the 90's where this would be the case for most of the winter; with 93, 94, and 96 being exceptions. The nothing some 5 years. My snowblower gathered dust. Didn't get pulled out til Jan 2001. Then put back until 2003...

But man, do you remember December 1992? That storm stands apart from everything else for me, even the all snow coastals,  so much flooding and winds for almost a whole week, and I haven't seen anything that bad since- except for Sandy of course (surge, winds.)  December 1992 was worse than Gloria or any other storm we've had since except for Sandy.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Most SSWs impact either Asia or the US.  The belief is the increased landmass/vs ocean has something to do with that.  The last 2-3 major ones though have more impacted Europe going back to 2010 for whatever reason.  Its probably just pure randomness.  In reality this one DID impact the US as well but the Pacific being bad negated it,

Yeah thats what I was thinking too.  The larger landmass thing is also very interesting and is the thinking behind why the Arctic is warming much faster than the Antarctic as pertaining to AGW.

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What’s going on over there? Did you ever get an accumulation? Need to know what I do or don’t add to my season total? Also how did winds compare to 1/4? Thanks brotha!

Winds were a class above 1/4, accompanied by a three hr power outage.  No accumulation here, just white rain, sleet and light snow.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

But man, do you remember December 1992? That storm stands apart from everything else for me, even the all snow coastals,  so much flooding and winds for almost a whole week, and I haven't seen anything that bad since- except for Sandy of course (surge, winds.)  December 1992 was worse than Gloria or any other storm we've had since except for Sandy.

Yes I sat in a classroom full of 7th graders in a blackout while trying to keep order. Can't ever forget that, and it was called the biggest storm of the century, until march came....but it only snowed a coating here. Much like today.

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What’s going on over there? Did you ever get an accumulation? Need to know what I do or don’t add to my season total? Also how did winds compare to 1/4? Thanks brotha!

Coating on car and nothing else.   Winds were stronger than 1/4.

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Yes I sat in a classroom full of 7th graders in a blackout while trying to keep order. Can't ever forget that, and it was called the biggest storm of the century, until march came....but it only snowed a coating here. Much like today.

December 1992 had a lot more impact than March 1993 for us coastal people even though we had a foot of snow in March 1993.  The amazing winds and long duration and all that flooding, wow.  Five days later the winds were still howling.

Archived