Newest Member
    joxey
Bomb Cyclone Obs Thread, March 1-3 2018

Rtd208

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hitman said:

Made it up to plattekill this morning.  They had 2-3 feet.  Wind blown and drifted.  Dense but silky.  Crazy storm, there was no snow all the way up the thruway.  Didn’t see any snow of significance till I crossed over esopus creek.

The distribution of snow was as strange as it gets. Would be cool if a study is done in the future. Can't really say it acted like a late winter storm cause some places with little elevation did better than places with elevation. 

Just now, snywx said:

The distribution of snow was as strange as it gets. Would be cool if a study is done in the future. Can't really say it acted like a late winter storm cause some places with little elevation did better than places with elevation. 

Yeah, I’m no weather historian by any stretch but I can’t remember a storm with such a strange distribution..  it wasn’t north-south, east west or even elevation so much, there are just pockets where it accumulated and many others where it didn’t at all.

5 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i am shocked this storm surpassed the jan bizzard in terms of damage when the jan storm was much stronger then this storm...

This storm effected a much bigger area not to mention more snow with an insane water content. It also stalled unlike the Jan storm

1 hour ago, snywx said:

Lol 

fact jan blizzard had a barometric pressure of 949 millibars.. which was far more powerful then,,, this storm  which barometric pressure is only 974 millibars. the jan blizzard had snow in nyc 9 inches...a foot and a half on long island boston got close to a foot and a half.. south carolina also had snow over 6 inches... like i said a more widespread snow event with the jan blizzard compared to this storm which was confined ...

58 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

fact jan blizzard had a barometric pressure of 949 millibars.. which was far more powerful then,,, this storm  which barometric pressure is only 974 millibars. the jan blizzard had snow in nyc 9 inches...a foot and a half on long island boston got close to a foot and a half.. south carolina also had snow over 6 inches... like i said a more widespread snow event with the jan blizzard compared to this storm which was confined ...

974mb storm is nothing to brush off. Add that to the fact that it stalled for quite of bit of time just E of LI & then started to drift south. The Jan storm was a quick mover hence its limited impact. The snow in yesterdays storm was far from confined. Confined outside NYC sure but that doesn't lessen the magnitude of the event. 

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I just don’t get that. It was so obvious this was coming. Some of it has to be insurance fraud 

It's time to start building waterproof amphibious cars that can fly.......Musk is on it

Storms this is being compared to are March 1962 and December 1992.  I wasn't around for March 1962 but from what I read that was better further south in Central and Southern Coastal NJ while December 1992 was far more damaging for NYC and Long Island and North Coastal NJ.

I was around for 1962 storm. Don't really know what the conditions were further north or south of the south Jersey shore area such as Ocean City to Cape May, but the area was destroyed almost literally. Don't know any of the specifics as to winds, etc, etc. but part of the issue was the construction of the buildings was poor at best in terms of today's construction. I remember driving with my parents after the area was opened to the public and seeing mile after mile of devastation.  I expect if you google New Jersey storm of 1962 - there will be pictures.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, nycwinter said:

the jan storm produced more snow on a much wider area then this storm,, the jan storm was 25 mb stronger then this storm as of yesterday,,,

Folks in Cape Cod might disagree - wind gusts topped 90 there in a couple locations, 15-20 mph beyond what they had in January.  Also, this one hit right at full moon while the Jan storm came a couple days after full.  And as already noted, this one stalled, so shore points had to face flooding on 3 tide cycles (reminiscent of March 1962 in NJ) instead of one.  While this storm was not as deep, it was far more extensive in area, even if much of that was over the fish.  That long fetch allowed the 3rd high tide, after both the strongest winds and the highest astro tides, to produce the highest tide of the event for the S. Maine coast.  

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Folks in Cape Cod might disagree - wind gusts topped 90 there in a couple locations, 15-20 mph beyond what they had in January.  Also, this one hit right at full moon while the Jan storm came a couple days after full.  And as already noted, this one stalled, so shore points had to face flooding on 3 tide cycles (reminiscent of March 1962 in NJ) instead of one.  While this storm was not as deep, it was far more extensive in area, even if much of that was over the fish.  That long fetch allowed the 3rd high tide, after both the strongest winds and the highest astro tides, to produce the highest tide of the event for the S. Maine coast.  

But didnt the Jan storm set the record for highest surge at Boston?

Honestly for us Dec 1992 was much worse than any of these storms including Mar 1962.

Archived