joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Governor Larry Hogan today signed Executive Order 01.01.2018.09 declaring a state of emergency beginning Friday, March 2nd in the wake of damaging winds resulting in power outages, downed trees, and dangerous travel conditions across the state due to Winter Storm Riley. The executive order will allow the state to efficiently coordinate support and provide additional assistance to local jurisdictions. Dangerous conditions may continue throughout Saturday, March 3rd.

http://governor.maryland.gov/2018/03/02/governor-larry-hogan-declares-state-of-emergency-for-winter-storm-riley/

Without power since about 10:00 this morning. A white pine fell onto a power line, which snapped the top 1/4 off a power pole, and the rest is history. Neighbors have been told we might be out through the weekend.

Luckily, a buddy of mine who has power let me use his 5-year-old virgin generator, so at least my girls are staying warm.

This really kinda sucks.

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Without power since about 10:00 this morning. A white pine fell onto a power line, which snapped the top 1/4 off a power pole, and the rest is history. Neighbors have been told we might be out through the weekend.

Luckily, a buddy of mine who has power let me use his 5-year-old virgin generator, so at least my girls are staying warm.

This really kinda sucks.

Similar story for friends that live two blocks from here. Large pine fell and took out some lines so that now there about ten homes in our hood without power. Our friends are one of those homes. And with so few homes in the dark, I can't imagine that they are high on the priority list.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Similar story for friends that live two blocks from here. Large pine fell and took out some lines so that now there about ten homes in our hood without power. Our friends are one of those homes. And with so few homes in the dark, I can't imagine that they are high on the priority list.

So few? Did you mean so many?

36 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That kind of thing really sucks because they may even really low on the power company’s priorities, as you said. My whole subdivision is out, as is probably 60-75% of the homes in a 1.5-mile radius. The problem we have is the snapped power pole - that adds a lot of time to the repair, and they’ll get lower return on their time and resource investment.

This is why I don’t like wind. Big wind, along with the associated power outages, are the most disruptive weather we see.

For those who recognize the old Dairy Farm in Gambrills, I live across the street.  The electric fence failed and backup (solar) hadn’t seen sun for days.  The cows got loose... cops had to shut down the road for 15 minutes in both direction while the farmer could rally.  About 40 cows were in the road.  Really wish I saw a police tweet on it just to file away with the memories of this storm.

The WORST has happened. The Bomb Cyclone is moving south southwest. The wind is NOT letting up. I WILL spend all night all scared, frantically looking out the window every time that shrieking wind out of Hell comes to pillage and destroy Dale City. This thing is never going to let up. I will spend the rest of my miserable life being scared to death of 67 mph gusts. It REFUSES to move east. It is going to spin and spin, blow and blow, until we are all completely destroyed, and I will never again know any peace, and shall not sleep for wretched days and days. It blew my sorry ass all over the Safeway parking lot with 60 mph gusts tonight. Jebwalks are absolutely impossible and are not encouraged.

Rain storms move quickly away from us. Snow, when we get it, is short and sweet, we never get Blocks to hold snows in place for days. But devastating windstorms? The Block keeps them here for days. We are not a snowtown. We are a Bomb Cyclone WindTown.

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Can’t wait to get up in an hour or two to feed the generator while in my slippers and robe.

Used to run mine till ten after Sandy than start in morning got good at it after 7days 

48 minutes ago, Jebman said:

The WORST has happened. The Bomb Cyclone is moving south southwest. The wind is NOT letting up. I WILL spend all night all scared, frantically looking out the window every time that shrieking wind out of Hell comes to pillage and destroy Dale City. This thing is never going to let up. I will spend the rest of my miserable life being scared to death of 67 mph gusts. It REFUSES to move east. It is going to spin and spin, blow and blow, until we are all completely destroyed, and I will never again know any peace, and shall not sleep for wretched days and days. It blew my sorry ass all over the Safeway parking lot with 60 mph gusts tonight. Jebwalks are absolutely impossible and are not encouraged.

Rain storms move quickly away from us. Snow, when we get it, is short and sweet, we never get Blocks to hold snows in place for days. But devastating windstorms? The Block keeps them here for days. We are not a snowtown. We are a Bomb Cyclone WindTown.

Jeb what's the update on the Potomac Mills sign? 

1 hour ago, Dan76 said:

Used to run mine till ten after Sandy than start in morning got good at it after 7days 

We have had our generator since Floyd. It's a large generator well away from the house, back feeds by buried lines. We always fill ours to run out about 4am.  Works well for us!!

Just now, ATreglown said:

We have had our generator since Floyd. It's a large generator well away from the house, back feeds by buried lines. We always fill ours to run out about 4am.  Works well for us!!

House stays a comfortable temperature till about 8am. 

7 hours ago, birdsofprey02 said:

For those who recognize the old Dairy Farm in Gambrills, I live across the street.  The electric fence failed and backup (solar) hadn’t seen sun for days.  The cows got loose... cops had to shut down the road for 15 minutes in both direction while the farmer could rally.  About 40 cows were in the road.  Really wish I saw a police tweet on it just to file away with the memories of this storm.

That reminds me of this little tidbit from here in Pikesville.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7642437/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/where-buffalo-roam-suburbia/#.WpqEqdFOmhA

Archived