00z Euro (usually exaggerated)

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018022800_69_4529_379.png

Stepping through the models available on weather.us, peak gusts at my house:

00z Euro:  66+mph

12z NAM 3k:  60+mph

06z Swiss:  60mph

06z German:  66+mph

12z GFS:  low 50s mph

They may all be overdone (minus the GFS), but that is a heck of a signal.

11 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Bringing over my posts from the obs thread for verification purposes:

00z Euro (usually exaggerated)

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018022800_69_4529_379.png

Stepping through the models available on weather.us, peak gusts at my house:

00z Euro:  66+mph

12z NAM 3k:  60+mph

06z Swiss:  60mph

06z German:  66+mph

12z GFS:  low 50s mph

They may all be overdone (minus the GFS), but that is a heck of a signal.

I only started looking at the wind power panels this year when weather.us came out with it but it's been better than the gust panels. Mean winds @ 330' seem to translate fairly well to peak gusts on the ground. Mid to upper 40's seems pretty likely. 

3IInVy4.jpg

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't recall a time where Euro big wind gusts were verified over our region. One of the few things the Euro doesn't do particularly well (which is fine). 

I agree. The gust panels have been too high pretty much 100% of the time. I have noticed the 330' wind power panels to do fairly well though. Or just use a rule of thumb with multiplying 925's by 75% or so. That usually works ok too. Which would also be in the mid to upper 40's with low 50's certainly possible. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I agree. The gust panels have been too high pretty much 100% of the time. I have noticed the 330' wind power panels to do fairly well though. Or just use a rule of thumb with multiplying 925's by 75% or so. That usually works ok too. Which would also be in the mid to upper 40's with low 50's certainly possible. 

The 330' numbers make a lot of sense.

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

TT sounding from the NAM nest is ugly.   Very well-mixed and fairly deep PBL with 75 kt near the top.  50+ gusts would absolutely be a threat if this is correct.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 11.55.08 AM.png

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If that verifies - that's more of a pretty standard wind event in our area. That would be low to mid advisory criteria and definitely not HWW criteria. 

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

If that verifies - that's more of a pretty standard wind event in our area. That would be low to mid advisory criteria and definitely not HWW criteria. 

high risk beat me to it, but 3km NAM has a lot of nasty soundings wind-wise near DCA at 18z FRI... would def be HWW criteria

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

This could be a fun little event.

Agreed. Nor'easters are fun because you never know exactly how they're going to track/form and any small shift can make a difference. On top of that, the bar has been set basically at 0" for any snow. So if anybody does end up with some it'll be awesome. Will be fun to nowcast either way. 

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, learned this through my tropical exploits. Never thought of the 330' wind power panels though. I can't say I've been tracking much recently, or that I have any faith we won't do anything but fail (again) in the precip department, but I will come out of hibernation for big wind potential. That looks like the highest confidence aspect of this storm right now. 

Like I said, I only recently began using them as a tool and have never really mentioned them but the premise makes 100% sense and my obs this year back up my theory. It's a mean hourly panel @ unobstructed 330' above ground. A nice snapshot of the blend of gusts and sustained without obstruction so the wind speed on the panels will be somewhere between sustained and max but since they are unobstructed with terrain/buildings etc it seems to connect well with the mean hourly speeds translating to gusts on the ground. Just another tool in the toolbox. I like using the 75% of 925s as well. That does a great job at ballparking gusts when mixing is good (which seems to be the case this time). 

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

yes, yes it is. 

Ironic that often the high res regionals are the most amplified but that often means north...but in this case with a more amplified quicker phase it might be causing them to come back south and have a better organized precip shield associated with the upper low.  Its just odd to see them doing the opposite of normal bias kinda sorta in a weird way. 

11 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

HWW criteria requires 58mph gusts.  I think the chance that some where in the region goes to 58 is high enough that they will hoist HWWs.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

HWW criteria requires 58mph gusts.  I think the chance that some where in the region goes to 58 is high enough that they will hoist HWWs.

Agreed.  Especially once you get north of I-66 where the terrain gets a bit higher.  I'd say 70/30 chance a high wind watch goes out by noon tomorrow for 2/3rds of the LWX CWA.

ICON is the most bullish of the 12z globals for snow.

jQiGGWt.png

The NAMs are still pretty much out on their own though.  If they verify they should just call that a career and retire on a high note.  Throw down the mic and spend the rest of their days forecasting how sunny it will be in San Diego. 

Archived