joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not expecting any snow here in NE MD.

Seems like Northern Harford or Cecil Counties would be the southern edge of any chance at appreciable snowfall. A light snow shower or flurry can’t be ruled out in your area either, but wind is king of impact around here with this one.

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I have only really payed attention to it a few times but it did very well when I did...it nailed the dry slot screwzone that hurt me 2 weeks ago from 24-36 hours out when the RGEM totally missed it.  That doesn't mean its right here...but it has been better with meso features then the rgem this winter IMO...from the few times I bothered to pay attention too it.  

We are going to hear about this for years to come, aren't we? :lol:

To be honest when that split first started showing up I didn't buy it whatsoever and would have put good money on it not occurring. Though I am sure it has happened in my 13 years up here I can't recall a single time that the northern band set up to my north as this did (but my memory sucks) with the setup and low passage we saw. What normally occurs is that the band sets up just to my south where I am hoping and praying that I can get in on the northern fringes of it. Thus it is never a good omen when you start saying fringed. If you are fringed I am SOL.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

We are going to hear about this for years to come, aren't we? :lol:

To be honest when that split first started showing up I didn't buy it whatsoever and would have put good money on it not occurring. Though I am sure it has happened in my 13 years up here I can't recall a single time that the northern band set up to my north as this did (but my memory sucks) with the setup and low passage we saw. What normally occurs is that the band sets up just to my south where I am hoping and praying that I can get in on the northern fringes of it. Thus it is never a good omen when you start saying fringed. If you are fringed I am SOL.

No I am over it honestly...it wasn't like an epic screw I got 2" instead of 4 or 5.  Big deal... but I did note which guidance placed that feature correctly for future reference.  

I believed it from the start.  I knew there would be an area of relative subsidence and a screw zone between the banding associated with the baroclinic boundary and the banding that was setting up along the jet enhanced area further north.  I've seen that before plenty of times.  It was more pronounced then usual, maybe because of marginal temps but its a typical thing with those kinds of waves.  You are right they usually don't end up over us...that was just bad luck, but once inside 24 hours I could see it was aimed right for us and we were in trouble.  Also...in a system with a general SW flow like that the elevation that often causes that enhanced band NW of baltimore in MD is really offset because the flow is parrallell to the ridges.  We don't get any enhanced lift with that trajectory so my area is left just as vulnerable to dry slots as anyone else.  I still have a temperature advantage of course but my added lift advantage is neutralized.  So I saw it as possible although a rare thing and it was worse then usual.  

1 hour ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

This low pressure track NE Indiana-Ohio-western PA while strengthening is +NAO behavior 

The blocking is just setting in, there is a HUGE ridge left over in the east as the system approaches...its starting out so far northwest...and any system is going to search out the thermal boundary to maximize baroclinicity and that boundary is way the hell up north...it does eventually hit a wall and that is why it stalls and retrogrades and doesnt keep moving poleward but given all those factors it's not "impossible" or crazy that its taking such a track.  We have a better chance once the blocking pattern is more mature and the antecedent airmass isnt as wrecked and there isn't a HUGE ridge in the east going into the event.  Some ridging can be overcome but there are limits...the fact that we are even close given what the map looks like right now is a testament to how strong the block is. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The blocking is just setting in, there is a HUGE ridge left over in the east as the system approaches...its starting out so far northwest...and any system is going to search out the thermal boundary to maximize baroclinicity and that boundary is way the hell up north...it does eventually hit a wall and that is why it stalls and retrogrades and doesnt keep moving poleward but given all those factors it's not "impossible" or crazy that its taking such a track.  We have a better chance once the blocking pattern is more mature and the antecedent airmass isnt as wrecked and there isn't a HUGE ridge in the east going into the event.  Some ridging can be overcome but there are limits...the fact that we are even close given what the map looks like right now is a testament to how strong the block is. 

I've found in research that there is no lag between Pacific pattern and SE ridge. chicken-egg and the Atlantic ridge in this case is anomalous considering the -5 sigma NAO right now 

6 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

I've found in research that there is no lag between Pacific pattern and SE ridge. chicken-egg and the Atlantic ridge in this case is anomalous considering the -5 sigma NAO right now 

The current eastern CONUS ridge is anomalous regardless of NAO phase and the NAO is at near record levels also.  So naturally that combo is almost unheard of.  But the CONUS ridge predates the NAO.  It was the established pattern.  The -5 sigma NAO ridge is just now traversing into the prime location.  So blaming or linking the NAO with the SE ridge seems off given the SE ridge was there first.  The NAO does break down the eastern CONUS ridge quickly.  The anomalouse ridge has just retrograded into NAO space.  36 hours ago it was centered north of England.  24 hours ago it was over Iceland, way too east based to help much.  Only within the last 12 hours has it entered the prime nao domain for us.  And within another 24 hours it breaks down the eastern ridge by forcing this system to turn southeast and knock down heights in the east.  That is the NAO doing its work.  Remove that NAO ridge and we would continue to torch and this storm would cut way up into canada.  The problem is the system gets "TOO BLOCKED" and sits at our latitude which opens room for ridging to form behind and above it a bit more then we want.  But still even with that ridging the NAO forces the next trough to dig into the east again.  That does not mean it will snow here.  An NAO ridge does not guaruntee us snow.  There are other moving parts that have to come togehter.  But I clearly see the dirty work of the NAO going on and how it IS effecting the pattern to knock down the eastern CONUS ridge almost immediately and give us some threats thereafter.  Those threats might not work out but what were you expecting...the ridge to get over greenland and INSTANTLY a 960 low to be over the Va Capes?  We were entering this NAO phase with probably the worst inherent conditions possible.  Things get better pretty rapidly imo given where were coming from. 

38 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The current eastern CONUS ridge is anomalous regardless of NAO phase and the NAO is at near record levels also.  So naturally that combo is almost unheard of.  But the CONUS ridge predates the NAO.  It was the established pattern.  The -5 sigma NAO ridge is just now traversing into the prime location.  So blaming or linking the NAO with the SE ridge seems off given the SE ridge was there first.  The NAO does break down the eastern CONUS ridge quickly.  The anomalouse ridge has just retrograded into NAO space.  36 hours ago it was centered north of England.  24 hours ago it was over Iceland, way too east based to help much.  Only within the last 12 hours has it entered the prime nao domain for us.  And within another 24 hours it breaks down the eastern ridge by forcing this system to turn southeast and knock down heights in the east.  That is the NAO doing its work.  Remove that NAO ridge and we would continue to torch and this storm would cut way up into canada.  The problem is the system gets "TOO BLOCKED" and sits at our latitude which opens room for ridging to form behind and above it a bit more then we want.  But still even with that ridging the NAO forces the next trough to dig into the east again.  That does not mean it will snow here.  An NAO ridge does not guaruntee us snow.  There are other moving parts that have to come togehter.  But I clearly see the dirty work of the NAO going on and how it IS effecting the pattern to knock down the eastern CONUS ridge almost immediately and give us some threats thereafter.  Those threats might not work out but what were you expecting...the ridge to get over greenland and INSTANTLY a 960 low to be over the Va Capes?  We were entering this NAO phase with probably the worst inherent conditions possible.  Things get better pretty rapidly imo given where were coming from. 

This is a good point. The NAO does lead. Stratosphere warming caused NAO may be different though, actually I think it is 

The storms rapid movement is strange. Look at how it loops back at end of GFS run. It's racing to escape rebuilding ridge or or what? The Pacific is relaxing toward -EPO progression 

Updated.

$$

DCZ001-MDZ004-013-014-016>018-503>506-VAZ040-052>055-057-501-502-
505-506-020045-
/O.EXT.KLWX.HW.W.0001.180302T0500Z-180303T1100Z/
District of Columbia-Frederick MD-Prince Georges-Anne Arundel-
Charles-St. Marys-Calvert-Northwest Montgomery-
Central and Southeast Montgomery-Northwest Howard-
Central and Southeast Howard-Rappahannock-
Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax-
Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-Stafford-King George-
Northern Fauquier-Southern Fauquier-Western Loudoun-
Eastern Loudoun-
Including the cities of Washington, Frederick, Ballenger Creek,
Bowie, Suitland-Silver Hill, Clinton, College Park, Greenbelt,
Laurel, Camp Springs, Glen Burnie, Annapolis, Severn, South Gate,
Severna Park, Arnold, Odenton, St. Charles, Waldorf,
Lexington Park, California, Chesapeake Beach, Huntingtown,
Dunkirk, North Beach, Lusby, Prince Frederick, Germantown,
Damascus, Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring,
Lisbon, Columbia, Ellicott City, Dale City, Manassas, Woodbridge,
Lake Ridge, Montclair, Reston, Herndon, Annandale, Centreville,
Chantilly, McLean, Franconia, Arlington, Alexandria, Falmouth,
Dahlgren, Warrenton, Turnbull, Purcellville, Leesburg, Ashburn,
and Sterling
1132 AM EST Thu Mar 1 2018

...HIGH WIND WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM
EST SATURDAY...

* TIMING...Midnight tonight through Friday night.

* WINDS...Northwest 25 to 40 mph with gusts around 60 to 70 mph.
  The strongest winds will be Friday morning through Friday
  evening.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
  Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be
  difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.

&&

Just now, George BM said:

Updated.

1132 AM EST Thu Mar 1 2018

...HIGH WIND WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM
EST SATURDAY...

* TIMING...Midnight tonight through Friday night.

* WINDS...Northwest 25 to 40 mph with gusts around 60 to 70 mph.
  The strongest winds will be Friday morning through Friday
  evening.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
  Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be
  difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.

&&

I don't believe the 70mph mention was in the first HWW yesterday.

Archived