Newest Member
    joxey
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WeatherLovingDoc said:

Is this forecast for real?  Worried for kid in NW Baltimore as well as us.

I am a bit concerned. If we have power outages, it is kind of chilly, and I am looking after my 80 year old Dad. He could get sick with no heat.

No, I am not concerned about this at all.

I am scared out of my ever lovin' mind!

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Really hard to enjoy a Jebwalk if you lose your head. That's for sure

There will be a lot of flying debris and branches will be falling in some of those big gusts. No sense taking unnecessary chances. This would be like placing your hand in a fire and hoping you wont get burned.

Unless you've got a serious death wish.

1 minute ago, Kristymac03 said:

Ahhhh feeling more like home. (Florida). Now this I can handle... a little wind and rain!? We still go on with our daily lives for this type thing lol. Bet school gets canceled  . Haha

After Sandy school did get canceled. Power was knocked out all over Frederick Co. To my West are a lot of high tension transmission lines that bring supply in over the mountains. While most neighborhoods have buried lines if the power goes out to the substations all over you will loose power. Sandy was insane. We live in a 3 story TH and thought the roof was going to rip off. And I am hoping it will not be as bad as they are projecting. 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Sandy wasn't a big wind maker here ( gusts in the 40s mostly but the heavy  rain was memorable . Isabel is the  benchmark for wind imby . Lots of siding,  shingles, trees , bushes down in the area . 

Sandy wasn't a big deal in my yard either. I wish I could find the picture of my yard I took the day after. There were some leaves and like a 2' branch on the ground but that was it. I didn't get any gusts over 50mph. I know that for sure but my house sits in a stream valley. I'm pretty sure tomorrow is going to be a better wind producer than Sandy. It's going to roar for sure. I haven't lost power since pepco went all Edward Scissorhands on the trees a few years ago. We'll see how that goes tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Sandy wasn't a big wind maker here ( gusts in the 40s mostly but the heavy  rain was memorable . Isabel is the  benchmark for wind imby . Lots of siding,  shingles, trees , bushes down in the area . 

Sandy was busy on the 911 side for Carroll county.  We ran 200 incidents over 4 days which was about 150% of normal.

Anyone remember when hurricane  Floyed came through the area? I was younger and crazier then. I Jebwalked during the height of the storm. That was one of a handful of times I got scared and had to run lol. Trees were uprooting, tops were breaking out of 90' trees as the low passed over my area. I'm older and wiser these days (kinda). 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Some of that had to be flooding.  5 1/2" imby. I think I had a peak gust to 49 . Baltimore area  gusted much higher i remember .

Most was wind related.  We had several calls for children trapped in their bedrooms when trees came down on the houses in the night.  Chimney fires spiked as well because folks lost lower and needed heat, but the wind was blowing the smoke and embers back into the books of the shingles and gaps in the chimney walls.

44 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

After Sandy school did get canceled. Power was knocked out all over Frederick Co. To my West are a lot of high tension transmission lines that bring supply in over the mountains. While most neighborhoods have buried lines if the power goes out to the substations all over you will loose power. Sandy was insane. We live in a 3 story TH and thought the roof was going to rip off. And I am hoping it will not be as bad as they are projecting. 

I live on the 3/4 floor of a town home condo. It gets loud with any wind. I assume it will sounds pretty rough. Fingers crossed we don't lose power. I knew the lines were all under ground so I wondered how they would be effected. I went 5 weeks with no power after hurricane Ivan in Pensacola. It. Was. Aweful. 

I've never been all that scared of wind events until the derecho hit the back of my house like a freight train. Didn't lose power, didn't have any damage, but that was a nervous 40 minutes or so, given the massive sycamore I have in my postage-stamp backyard.

Isabel was tropically gusty IMBY, but not anything that sent me scrambling for cover.

Hope this one isn't too damaging.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Did you live in your current location during the
, and if so, what were the effects up that way? That derecho remains the "high bar" of wind events in my lifetime, including living here in southeastern Fairfax County for the past 30 years and spending the first 20 years growing up in northcentral PA. Never before nor ever since, in either VA or PA, have I seen mature, 50'-60' trees bend at 45 degrees (or greater!) in the wind at the front edge of that derecho...  :stun:

No, I was further south in Cockeysville. The worst of the derecho was to my south, areas of Towson were hit really hard. No idea what happened in Parkton during it.

I can recall two squall lines that have come through here that have caused damage and knocked out power, so hopefully that won’t be the case.

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

No, I was further south in Cockeysville. The worst of the derecho was to my south, areas of Towson were hit really hard. No idea what happened in Parkton during it.

I can recall two squall lines that have come through here that have caused damage and knocked out power, so hopefully that won’t be the case.

Ah man, that derecho kicked our butts. I am a little south of Annapolis. We lost power for 5 days, and had two major trees down in the yard. That was a crazy week. I was just going back and forth between generators and chainsaws :)

For those of you worrying about power loss duration, PEPCO et al has called in out of state contractors so if we outages they shouldn't last terribly long.  This wasn't like the derecho where everyone from Indiana to Virginia was requesting crews and equipment.  The scope is smaller, but still plan on outages lasting a day or so.

Just now, Brianonymous said:

Ah man, that derecho kicked our butts. I am a little south of Annapolis. We lost power for 5 days, and had two major trees down in the yard. That was a crazy week. I was just going back and forth between generators and chainsaws :)

Crazy week. I was young, but I remember that pretty vividly. Lost power for about a week, and we were forced to go to our grandparent's house about a 3 or 4 hour drive away since our dogs couldn't handle the heat. 

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

For those of you worrying about power loss duration, PEPCO et al has called in out of state contractors so if we outages they shouldn't last terribly long.  This wasn't like the derecho where everyone from Indiana to Virginia was requesting crews and equipment.  The scope is smaller, but still plan on outages lasting a day or so.

I am on Potomac Edison aka First Energy. They have been in the past very responsive. 

Archived