Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wife and kids move in with her fam for 2 months while he waits it out in a 40F house living off the land and cooking outside oven an open fire using wood from all of the oak branches piled across his yard.

He doesn't strike me as that type, maybe MPM.... but amid the chaos I picture a well waxed and sparkling clean truck sitting amongst downed trees while he tries to escape to NH.  (New Haven, CT that is).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The Farhvergnugen model basically brings the Atlantic onto the coast. Yikes.

Tried to PM you but I think your box is full. Myself and 8 others are flying BOS -> DEN on Southwest at 6 PM Friday. Any idea on what the chances are that we make it out (I'm assuming not great)  and if they issue a fee waiver, better to change to Thursday night or Saturday morning?

Haven't been able to follow this at all really as work has been crazy, but looks like quite the system per a quick skim over the most recent guidance. Someone's going to get rocked.

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Well I'm not sure if I added any value to the forecasts I did tonight on-air. Extremely tough to convey the uncertainty and sound like you know what you're talking about. 

Tough call right now. Could be nothing, could be flooding rain, could be 2 feet of snow... pick a model and you can go with any of those 

Given the rapid intensification of the system, blossoming dynamics, and extensive rising motion the idea of dynamic cooling...and strong dynamic cooling is a very real possibility and likely a reality. I know it's a completely different season and probably a different evolution but a part of this reminds me of the October snowstorm...some models were really hitting on the dynamical cooling aspect of things and I think the GFS may have been one of the warmest with things. The next questions becomes where does the best lift occur but I have to think that is somewhere in southern New England...maybe as far north as the Pike

18 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Well I'm not sure if I added any value to the forecasts I did tonight on-air. Extremely tough to convey the uncertainty and sound like you know what you're talking about. 

You did great as usual... I still think the valley is alot of rain but some of those runs today were fun :)

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Decent probs from Pope to Ray.

6F753ED2-D39F-44D8-9360-F5048B55622C.gif

And I have friends coming up from LI Friday to go snowboarding this weekend in Conway. I already asked them this morning to see if they can leave Thurs pm due to the storm. I’m not sure they’ll make it up; and if they do I’m not sure we’ll be able to make the 1.25 hr drive to Conway on Friday. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Given the rapid intensification of the system, blossoming dynamics, and extensive rising motion the idea of dynamic cooling...and strong dynamic cooling is a very real possibility and likely a reality. I know it's a completely different season and probably a different evolution but a part of this reminds me of the October snowstorm...some models were really hitting on the dynamical cooling aspect of things and I think the GFS may have been one of the warmest with things. The next questions becomes where does the best lift occur but I have to think that is somewhere in southern New England...maybe as far north as the Pike

Yea, it has that borderline airmass feel where dynamics have to outweigh the warmth. We here at SWC have told our viewers to check in tomorrow night for finer details but r/s line who gets what may not happen until we nowcast. 

25 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I have no idea how you go on air and try to tell people about this one.  Throw up 3 different possibilities?  Shrug and look at the camera for 5 minutes?  

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

That stall is obviously quite concerning on the GFS. That's an awful look for coastal flooding in Boston. 

not to carp on anyone. People will obviously focus on snowfall potential, inland, from these sort of things, but the biggest threat assessment is in the CF and has been all along. I would even think your southern zones close to the western end of LI Sound are not out of the woods ... I'm not fully convinced they get cut a break by a temporary west flow such as the N biased GFS.  IF you guys get consecutive tide cycles like .. my god with this.

Lunar spring tide is scheduled in there (I think?) ... or close enough that it's not helping

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not to carp on anyone. People will obviously focus on snowfall potential, inland, from these sort of things, but the biggest threat assessment is in the CF and has been all along. I would even think your southern zones close to the western end of LI Sound are not out of the woods ... I'm not fully convinced they get cut a break by a temporary west flow such as the N biased GFS.  IF you guys get consecutive tide cycles like .. my god with this.

Lunar spring tide is scheduled in there (I think?) ... or close enough that it's not helping

FRI is the highest for BOS

Archived