Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

WxUSAF

56 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Damnit lol. You can't possibly beat him because he has like 20 go to analogs he pulls out and had running by default anytime we're even close to a snow pattern. But that is a legit good look right there. What people need to realize though is yes that look lead to some of our biggest snows but there were plenty of other times we had a similar block and nothing happened. 2001 being one of them.  That should have ended better for us based on the setup but just crapped the bed.  It still requires some luck. 

Posting this just so we remember how a great look doesn't always snow.  But I'll take my chances on that pattern and roll the dice.  Can't score if you don't get in the game  

IMG_4124.GIF.31d53f39828fd75c6ebf1e8ad0e05cb6.GIF

AK is the main diff I see...

What was the failure in 2001?  Specific storm or the pattern never yielded a storm?  I see this date referenced but dates of weather events dont seem to want to stick in my brain like some of you folks... 

ETA....Never mind..I see your date of 3/2.  Will have to look that one up..

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

AK is the main diff I see...

What was the failure in 2001?  Specific storm or the pattern never yielded a storm?  I see this date referenced but dates of weather events dont seem to want to stick in my brain like some of you folks... 

ETA....Never mind..I see your date of 3/2.  Will have to look that one up..

Storm phased too slow and didn't get organized in time. Ended up a massive blizzard for New England. Nothing here. 

29 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

It's not a bad comparison, though 2009 blocking developed sooner.

Feb 11_2018 500 mb.gif

Feb 11_2009 500 mb.gif

Right the storm that year was right at the start of march. More like march 5-15 might be a target this time. That 2009 storm was so close to a big one but just didn't come together. It came out in two waves and the upper low was out of sync with the surface. That could have been an HECS with better luck. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Right the storm that year was right at the start of march. More like march 5-15 might be a target this time. That 2009 storm was so close to a big one but just didn't come together. It came out in two waves and the upper low was out of sync with the surface. That could have been an HECS with better luck. 

That's right...March (1st or 2nd?) 2001 was an epic fail south of NYC IIRC.  Many weenies were scarred for years afterwards.  ;) Though blizzards since then have soothed the wounds for many.   

I still remember the almost histrionic HPC discussions a day or two ahead of time. As I recall, it was sort of a 2 part storm expected (in NE)  and "part 2" of the storm did deliver up in CT where I was at the time (and further north)... but Part 1 was a laughable dud.  The Gov of CT had ordered interstate traffic closed to trucks ahead of the storm.  About every truck stop in and near CT was packed while only a slushy couple of inches fell, followed by...nothing for many hours.  I-95 was just wet.  The absurdity was palpable.  Of course the local media lapdogs had reporters out licking salt off the roads like trained circus clowns to show how dangerous the slush was.

I think we ended up with a respectable 8-10" in SE CT but not the HECS totals that were being predicted up to the morning of the storm. 

10 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Anyone, who's been around this winter in the mid atlantic will probably take issue with this...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh102_trend.gif

The storm has continually been modeled to be quicker in arriving, so showing a fixed point in time hour frame doesn't yield a whole or accurate picture of any trend, imo.  I like the convergence I have seen with the ops today and the increasing numbers of ensemble members who are showing snow for us.

•  

Just now, WesternFringe said:

The storm has continually been modeled to be quicker in arriving, so showing a fixed point in time hour frame doesn't yield a whole or accurate picture of any trend, imo

•  

huh? The low clearly has trended north on all guidance today. It's pretty clear on the GIF that it is coming north. I'm not trying to fool anyone and gosh darn it I hope it stops but it's worth noting that the GFS has come well north today. It looks more in line with other guidance now. The problem is that we're still 96 hrs out. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Problem I see for 95 DC Baltimore to PHL high is east northeast of NJ moves out pretty fast cold not locked in screams minimal snow to rain with east winds 

It's a valid concern, although the really dry air in place during Saturday will allow for some nice evaporative cooling at the start.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Problem I see for 95 DC Baltimore to PHL high is east northeast of NJ moves out pretty fast cold not locked in screams minimal snow to rain with east winds 

Insitu cad works if the column is good at onset and rates are good. Low track is south of us so there won't be a powerful surge in the midlevels to quickly flip to rain. The gfs is closer to all snow than all rain with that surface low track. Mixing is very possible and probable for se regions but even they get front end snow. Im totally good with a mixed event that includes 3"+ before any mixing issues. Gfs isn't lacking on precip. It's a good slug and also very similar to the 12z euro. 

5 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

huh? The low clearly has trended north on all guidance today. It's pretty clear on the GIF that it is coming north. I'm not trying to fool anyone and gosh darn it I hope it stops but it's worth noting that the GFS has come well north today. It looks more in line with other guidance now. The problem is that we're still 96 hrs out. 

I thought the CMC and ICON stayed fairly firm with the low and that the low (at least the modeled snow) came further south and east on the 12Z Euro vs the prior run.  Am I wrong?  I was at work and doing my best to pay attention!  lol

Archived