Newest Member
    Toothache
February Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cae said:

@Bob Chill and anyone else who has some input.  Is the north trend during progressive flow something we see in all models?  I know I've seen it in the past too, but I can't remember if some models had more of a bias than others.

Yes, but it depends on the lead. 4+ days can have big differences so run over run trends can be large.

Inside of 3 days models are usually similar and that's when you need to pay attention to "ticks and trends". We're not there yet. We're still in agreement phase in general stage. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yes, north is the most likely fail. Still could get a good mixed event becuase this is one of the better/fresher antecedent airmass we've had all year. Storms have been coming too late after the midlevels rot out. This one is basically the day after the front clears. Near perfect timing for a progressive pattern. 

the euro map shows frozen precip pretty far south into SW VA. Thats a good sign for some cushion lol

Just now, Ji said:

the euro map shows frozen precip pretty far south into SW VA. Thats a good sign for some cushion lol

It's really good timing for some snow even with a crap overhead or north track. The front end WWA piece will likely snow on us no matter what as long as precip makes it here. Euro was the entire package with waa, ccb, and fairly strong storm. Top end solution has been presented. There's only one way to go from here. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It's really good timing for some snow even with a crap overhead or north track. The front end WWA piece will likely snow on us no matter what as long as precip makes it here. Euro was the entire package with waa, ccb, and fairly strong storm. Top end solution has been presented. There's only one way to go from here. 

Even bigger storm?!

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

i would honestly be happy with 3. That would cover the grass and make us look like a snowstown...but i agree...the euro is probably the most potential this storm has. Maybe the Icon is useful lol

Just now, Ji said:

i would honestly be happy with 3. That would cover the grass and make us look like a snowstown...but i agree...the euro is probably the most potential this storm has. Maybe the Icon is useful lol

I'm a bit optimistic. Euro is "probably" doing the over amp mid range thing but also "probably" has the right general idea. A weaker version of the euro is still a snowstorm here. Gefs had a lot of fairly amped solutions with plenty of precip. Going to get scary every 12 hours for a few days. 

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:

Until the next GFS goes further south.

If models are under doing the strength of the front and hp building in then that's surely possible. How many times have ops underdone a cold push and high strength in the med range this year? I can only think of maybe 2 times and that was back in late Dec/early Jan. I suppose the NC storm in Jan counts but that was a different setup. All other times have gone the other way. And we've been raining a lot becuase of it. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm a bit optimistic. Euro is "probably" doing the over amp mid range thing but also "probably" has the right general idea. A weaker version of the euro is still a snowstorm here. Gefs had a lot of fairly amped solutions with plenty of precip. Going to get scary every 12 hours for a few days. 

I'd prefer a weaker storm as it would be nicer for my house.   Today's UKMET is pretty flat more like the GFS than thee Euro though it still might get Preciip to us.  I can't see it past 72 hours.   Jason and I are writing a tag team article on the threat.  This year has been interesting as more often than not,  the solution that keeps the bulk of the precip to our south has been the right one this winter. 

2 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

I'd prefer a weaker storm as it would be nicer to my house.   Today's UKMET is pretty flat more like the GFS than thee Euro though it still might get Preciip to us.  I can't see it past 72 hours.   Jason and I are writing a tag team article on the threat.  This year has been interesting as more often than not,  the solution that keeps the bulk of the precip to our south has been the right one this winter. 

lol and @psuhoffmanblasted me for raising this concern. Oh well...i still love him. Somehow i got more negative then him and i thought he was the king of negativity. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

lol this is where i wish the euro now ran once a day at 8pm.....this will be our 3rd potential winter storm in Feb. Who said Feb wasnt a rockin month lol

Archived