joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the GFS forecast soundings, it goes to rain because the flow in the 900-800 mb layer veers to southwest which tends to be downsloping/warming here.  And even then, it just barely gets that layer above freezing.   The models that are snowier have a stronger low-level circulation that keeps the flow in that layer much more backed.

So, is it just me or are we really close to all mix or even rain on almost all solutions today and we're still four days out? I get that the GFS actually got precip to us...but it's pretty much a dusting to an inch followed by some rain showers. EURO is a front end thump followed by a mix and rain south and east of 95. ICON turns to rain. Canadian mixes and turns to rain south and east of 95.  If it goes much further north it'll just be another rain storm. I'm giving it until 0z tomorrow night before I get invested in this one and even then it might be a miss.  

We really don't have a lot of wiggle room now with almost all solutions having a low passing through Virginia. If it comes any further north at this point we are in trouble. 

7 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

So, is it just me or are we really close to all mix or even rain on almost all solutions today and we're still four days out? I get that the GFS actually got precip to us...but it's pretty much a dusting to an inch followed by some rain showers. EURO is a front end thump followed by a mix and rain south and east of 95. ICON turns to rain. Canadian mixes and turns to rain south and east of 95.  If it goes much further north it'll just be another rain storm. I'm giving it until 0z tomorrow night before I get invested in this one and even then it might be a miss.  

Can’t argue.  The set up is tough.  No HP to the north so it’s a timing issue. Need it to be weaker but still north.   We know how this song plays.  It’s a nice diversion for now.    

3 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Going to be a lot of variations over the next 48 hours.  But as of now we have one chance over the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to tracking with everyone here

If the arctic indices tank like the models showed today, then I think there would be more to track.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

EPS starts to pop a few snowy solution day 12-15 too now. Lol. 

Control for fun. Has another wave that crushes the northern half of our region day 12. 

IMG_4118.thumb.PNG.857fbdc1d36df422ce99ae39f00d61d5.PNG

I know it’s probably not going g to happen, but I love seeing this area get in the pink.  I’ve appreciated your optimism. I’ve lived in the DC area for all but 5 ½ years of my life and love the tracking. The snow is awesome, but my favorite part is the chase.  I also don’t give up until April. 

It's nice to see storms react to the blocking late in the run of the op gfs.

Obviously, can't take it verbatim but the past few runs have shown an obvious blocky look to the systems as they pass.

Hoping that this time next week we will be tracking something legit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

18 gefs mean snowfall ticked up just a bit day 4-5 0eeffe36fedfac813b694fac905869d9.jpg

That map tells me one thing...areas of south and east of 95 have very little chance with this storm as it stands right now. At this point with the trend north with these waves, I'd be worried if I lived anywhere south of the mason dixon line. 

4 minutes ago, Ji said:
10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
Hmmm
IMG_4121.thumb.GIF.db3e2893038946a9ecf350d419e04b05.GIFIMG_4123.thumb.PNG.523e6c92ae8090e302885352cdb12a8f.PNG

Jb already hyping march 62

Damnit lol. You can't possibly beat him because he has like 20 go to analogs he pulls out and had running by default anytime we're even close to a snow pattern. But that is a legit good look right there. What people need to realize though is yes that look lead to some of our biggest snows but there were plenty of other times we had a similar block and nothing happened. 2001 being one of them.  That should have ended better for us based on the setup but just crapped the bed.  It still requires some luck. 

Posting this just so we remember how a great look doesn't always snow.  But I'll take my chances on that pattern and roll the dice.  Can't score if you don't get in the game  

IMG_4124.GIF.31d53f39828fd75c6ebf1e8ad0e05cb6.GIF

Archived