• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

Never brewed anything, but have learned a lot about it from reading. I cant be an avid beer drinker without knowing how it's made. I am like that with literally everything. Engineer side effect. If anyone wants any help with control or automation of the beer brewing process(or any other process) I am your man.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jonjon said:

We now have two NE IPAs  -- we just added "Multiple Hopgasms" last week and its been a big hit.  Our "Six Legged Frog" has also been very popular.

The key to those beers isn't so much what you do on the brew day, its the dry hop that is most important.  (your malt recipe, of course, needs to be appropriate -- a good amount of white wheat is necessary -- I love adding a little Golden Naked Oats as well). We don't add much if any hops to the boil, maybe a little FWH to get some bitterness, but we add a huge amount to the whirlpool right after the boil.  We whirlpool for about a half hour then transfer through the heat exchanger to cool on its way to the fermenter.  We've found it works best to dry hop in two doses, one on about day four while there is still active fermentation (for the yeast/proteins and hop oils to marry for good cloudiness and hop flavor).  Then a second dose after fermentation is complete and we've gotten the beer off the yeast (for that clean hop aroma).  We normally dry hop at 55 degrees (we lower to that temp to get the yeast to drop -- Sean Lawson taught me that) but in this case the first dry hop will be at fermentation temp, which when we use 1318 yeast (I hope that is what you are using for yeast) is about 67 degrees.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for taking the time for writing this, jonjon. It's always good to hear your thoughts and this helps a lot. After treating the water with gypsum and CaCl, the grain bill includes us 2 row, golden promise pale, flaked oats, and wheat. It also calls for dextrose, which I've never used in a recipe, but I'm assuming that goes in the wort near or at the end of the boil. Then a heavy hopping as the wort cools, and two dry hops as you described above. The yeast is the London Ale as you suggest. Can't wait to get this one brewed and kegged to see how it tastes.

39 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I don't know the first thing about brewing, and probably will never care to try myself, but it would be neat to hear a summary of your process for brewing Over the Tip Top.  I freakin' love that Breakfast Stout.  I hope someday soon that I'll be able to obtain it locally, although being able to hit-up Stumptown Ales is one of the things that drives me to come out to the area.

I've never had jonjon's version of a Breakfast Stout, and I've never brewed one of my own but it's on my list. I've read that there's several ways to infuse the coffee flavor into the beer, but not sure best the route to go. But what a combination. Stumptown Ales and Tip Top coffee are both go to stops when visiting the Davis / Thomas area.

6 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

@mattie g

I know you brewed one, but I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your hop schedule when you brew your NE IPA. I'm brewing a version of one and just wanted to hear your thoughts. Some of my specific concerns are if you hop the wort as it comes out of the mash tun and how much, and if you do that, do you do any hopping in the boil?  Also, what temperature do you do hop additions after flameout and how long do you wait before cooling the wort. Any thing else you can think of?

If anyone else has thoughts, ( @jonjon , etc) I'd enjoy hearing them! 

Of course, jonjon is now at the pro level (and apparently a really high one, at that!), but at the homebrewer level, here’s what I did for my most recent attempt:

60 min: 0.5oz “ Magnum (probably a little much, but it didn’t do a ton of harm)

Whirlpool/Hopstand: 2oz Galaxy, 2oz Mosaic, 1oz Amarillo (30 minutes starting at 160°)

Dryhop (Day 2 of active fermentation): 2oz apiece Galaxy, Mosaic, and Amarillo

Keg hop: 1oz Galaxy, 1oz Mosaic, 2oz Amarillo

I start cooling the wort with a copper chiller immediately upon flameout. One it hits 160, I add my whirlpool/hopstand hops and let them go for 30 minutes. Then I continue to chill until it gets to about 75°, at which point I transfer to the fermentor.

It turned out really nice. A bit of a bite early on, but it mellowed after a bit. The keg hop really kept this thing going - so much so that I think the final pint I pulled (3+ months after I kegged it) may have been the best one.

I’m switching out Rolled Oats (1.5lb) for Golden Naked Oats (1lb) in my next NEIPA. Looking to pick up a little bit of sweetness and silkiness that I was perhaps missing this time around. Otherwise, I was really happy with how things went.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, I’m more than happy to give my two cents!

4 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I've never had jonjon's version of a Breakfast Stout, and I've never brewed one of my own but it's on my list. I've read that there's several ways to infuse the coffee flavor into the beer, but not sure best the route to go. But what a combination. Stumptown Ales and Tip Top coffee are both go to stops when visiting the Davis / Thomas area.

You need to try it; really good!

Thanks for the heads-up; I didn't know about Tip Top actually being a coffee shop nearby.  I just looked it up and it's on my list the next time I go out that way.

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

Of course, jonjon is now at the pro level (and apparently a really high one, at that!), but at the homebrewer level, here’s what I did for my most recent attempt:

60 min: 0.5oz “ Magnum (probably a little much, but it didn’t do a ton of harm)

Whirlpool/Hopstand: 2oz Galaxy, 2oz Mosaic, 1oz Amarillo (30 minutes starting at 160°)

Dryhop (Day 2 of active fermentation): 2oz apiece Galaxy, Mosaic, and Amarillo

Keg hop: 1oz Galaxy, 1oz Mosaic, 2oz Amarillo

I start cooling the wort with a copper chiller immediately upon flameout. One it hits 160, I add my whirlpool/hopstand hops and let them go for 30 minutes. Then I continue to chill until it gets to about 75°, at which point I transfer to the fermentor.

It turned out really nice. A bit of a bite early on, but it mellowed after a bit. The keg hop really kept this thing going - so much so that I think the final pint I pulled (3+ months after I kegged it) may have been the best one.

I’m switching out Rolled Oats (1.5lb) for Golden Naked Oats (1lb) in my next NEIPA. Looking to pick up a little bit of sweetness and silkiness that I was perhaps missing this time around. Otherwise, I was really happy with how things went.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, I’m more than happy to give my two cents!

Thanks! This sounds a lot like my plan, though I'll be dry hopping twice in the fermenter and not the keg, but from what you said, maybe I'll do that too. It also sounds like l'll have to look into the Golden Naked Oats too. 

Thanks for the tips.

22 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

You need to try it; really good!

Thanks for the heads-up; I didn't know about Tip Top actually being a coffee shop nearby.  I just looked it up and it's on my list the next time I go out that way.

Yeah, Tip Top is a nice shop and our go to coffee in the morning. I'm not a coffee snob but my gf says that their latte is the best she's had. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Oubre is the 3rd most valuable Wizard behind Wall and Beal. I'm convinced now. If they can't sign him next year because of cap space and/or competition I'm going to be a little devastated. 

One thing the wizards have done well recently is develop their top draft picks. Love it  

They've got it going tonight. Great  ball movement and unselfesh play. Games like this make me think they can challenge in the East.  Games like Friday make me forget that thought...lol

On 2/22/2018 at 11:30 PM, Bob Chill said:

So not to clutter good disco with my reply. Not sure how long you've been active here but vice has been around for years but has had 2 other screen names. Avanti hiatus (who was banned) and I can't remember the other one. 

In his mind he carries the burden of all of humanity on his shoulders and uses this place to "enlighten us" with alarmist crap posts. He's not really a troll by definition. He's just wasting time in the wrong place. The thing that I don't like is purposefully undermining the spirit of the reason why this board and the original easternwx exist in the first place. Most people are here to share a common interest in interesting weather. Winter weather in particular. But Avanti vice doesn't share that common interest. He say he does but it's just a guise to conceal his real motivation. He uses global warming alarmist posts to "threaten our fun" in hopes that we will be "enlightened" too. Nobody takes him seriously because strong bias and the inability to communicate coherently is powerless. He will never sway or convince one single person to adopt even a cracker crumb of his views. 

I've been reading and following since the 2010 season and have seen a few of his posts that are trollesque. But I agree with you. 

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

They've got it going tonight. Great  ball movement and unselfesh play. Games like this make me think they can challenge in the East.  Games like Friday make me forget that thought...lol

Second games of back to backs are tough. Especially with wall out. I'm an optimist. We beat the cavs on the road without one of if not the best players in the court. Really gives you a barometer on who we can compete with. Might be a preview of the playoffs. With that being said, Friday night was hard to watch. They had nothing good going on from tip to final buzzer. Nice to see them coming out and playing with a purpose. If they win tonight then it's 9-3 without Wall. Nobody saw that coming. Sato is a big reason for their success. I'm very impressed with this team this year overall. Could be peaking right at playoff time too if wall gets in the groove. 

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks! This sounds a lot like my plan, though I'll be dry hopping twice in the fermenter and not the keg, but from what you said, maybe I'll do that too. It also sounds like l'll have to look into the Golden Naked Oats too. 

Thanks for the tips.

Nice! Just throw a ton of hops at it. Can’t go wrong! :lol:

Good luck, and definitely let me know how it goes!

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Second games of back to backs are tough. Especially with wall out. I'm an optimist. We beat the cavs on the road without one of if not the best players in the court. Really gives you a barometer on who we can compete with. Might be a preview of the playoffs. With that being said, Friday night was hard to watch. They had nothing good going on from tip to final buzzer. Nice to see them coming out and playing with a purpose. If they win tonight then it's 9-3 without Wall. Nobody saw that coming. Sato is a big reason for their success. I'm very impressed with this team this year overall. Could be peaking right at playoff time too if wall gets in the groove. 

Strongly agree.  Great win tonight.  Tough back to back games coming up with the Bucks on the road Tuesday and Warriors at home Wednesday

Starting a Monday with a blown tire on the highway, getting a tow, and signing ~$1000 away on new tires, alignment, oil change... sucks. 
Snow? soon? Please? 

Oh god. Was this on 83 too? That is an awful road to have that happen. Nothing like standing there while car whiz 80 mph by you. At least it wasn’t in the middle of the night. Good luck with everything. Car troubles suck. The wallet never appreciates it.

35 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Oh god. Was this on 83 too? That is an awful road to have that happen. Nothing like standing there while car whiz 80 mph by you. At least it wasn’t in the middle of the night. Good luck with everything. Car troubles suck. The wallet never appreciates it.

yup. fun times this morning. oh well. at least the kiddo wasn't with me when it happened. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Starting a Monday with a blown tire on the highway, getting a tow, and signing ~$1000 away on new tires, alignment, oil change... sucks. 

Snow? soon? Please? 

The good news is that you'll have great traction with the new tires when you need to get to the liquor store during the hecs next month.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The good news is that you'll have great traction with the new tires when you need to get to the liquor store during the hecs next month.

so, i needed new tires and it was on our list... next week (this week was hard hitting enough with mortgage and kiddo's school payment). so I'm telling myself that the universe was trying to get me to get new tires today so nothing worse happened (say, during a wind driven rainstorm?) later on. 

24 minutes ago, mappy said:

so, i needed new tires and it was on our list... next week (this week was hard hitting enough with mortgage and kiddo's school payment). so I'm telling myself that the universe was trying to get me to get new tires today so nothing worse happened (say, during a wind driven rainstorm?) later on. 

Same thing for me 2 weekends ago.  When it rains it pours.

Originally a Metro DC/ Marylander here too ... and no regrets for having long left the arrogant and whiny attitude that so pervades that place.

It's weather for Pete's sake. Why not cheer on any area within a forum that's gets a great snowfall? Crimany, it's not like they came over and stole your frigging snow. And while New Jersey may have some run down areas (as if Maryland and Virginia don't?), much of that state is quite beautiful.

:popcorn:

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived