Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 8th Ice/Mix/Rain Event

NorthArlington101

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, NinjaWarrior2 said:

For what is worth, long range RAP and HRRR are much warmer at the surface than the other guidance. Some instances over 10* warmer especially in far North VA/Far E WV. NAM solutions being the coldest.

3k NAM nailed Thursday and RAP/HRRR were hot garbage as usual.  You could run a flamethrower on my street for an hour and every flake/pellet would still stick.

26 minutes ago, feloniousq said:

3k NAM nailed Thursday and RAP/HRRR were hot garbage as usual.  You could run a flamethrower on my street for an hour and every flake/pellet would still stick.

Hi res rgem did well last week. Very light qpf on the edge while other guidance was much further west and higher qpf. 0z nams insist on not much nw of dc. 18z hi res rgem would be a legit event. Temps are dicey close in but would be a legit ice/sleet event nw. We'll see if the 0z run dries up. 

hrdps_apcpn_neus_40.png

59 minutes ago, cae said:

RGEM bumped up the amount of freezing rain a little.  Whether it's right or wrong, it hasn't changed much over its last 5 runs.  I'd be suspicious of its surface temps, but it has support from the 3k NAM and GFS. 

All it takes is .00000001 QPF of that stuff to cause havoc... No thank you... I rather have rain

The RAP and HRRR tend to be too aggressive with mixing and often scour out low-level cold air too quickly.  In the Dec 2016 ice event, they consistently warmed our area into the 40s when we were stuck at freezing.    The NAM nest is usually much better with low-level cold air, but it can actually keep it in too long.   Granted, the Dec 16 event was a much bigger storm, and no two cases are the same, but I’d probably lean NAM nest for this one, especially over central MD

Pavement temps in MD seem largely in the teens and low to mid-20s.

http://www.chart.state.md.us/travinfo/weatherstationdata.asp

Can't find similar data for VA but I assume they're similar.  Seems like onset time is the key.  If this becomes a noon to 1 event instead of a 4-6 PM event, that's gonna have a lot of people stuck at work.

21/7

Archived