Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Identical track and progression with what the euro just put out but a more developed coastal as it passes our latitude so we get hit hard with the comma/CCB. That and more overrunning in advance. Add those 2 things and we all get 12"+. 

Muchas gracias, I'm also wondering about the blocking (or lack thereof) for this event.  I hear that term thrown around a lot but never know exactly what people are talking about.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, usedtobe said:

I think it interesting how similar the GFS and Euro are at 500 and how different the results.  That's most of what I mentioned in my quick piece that may or may not end up being published.  The two differences are where the low get going and whether a coastal trough sets up like on the Euro.  Looking at the GFS 500, I was surprised that it did not give us anything except on Tuesday. 

GFS always seems stingy on the back side of surface and upper level lows until leads shorten. I can't even count how many times I've seen a nice look at h5 and the surface sucked. I'm sure there are much more complicated and accurate ways to describe "stingy" but that's how I see it happen in the med range on the regular. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Muchas gracias, I'm also wondering about the blocking (or lack thereof) for this event.  I hear that term thrown around a lot but never know exactly what people are talking about.  

It's a weird progression. Instead of blocking there's a squeeze play between the PNA ridge rolling forward and the WAR. As they squeeze on each other to our north, the trough gets pinched off. It's not something we normally see. So there is "blocking" so to speak just not the classic kind we usually have with good events. The trough goes from super positive, to neutral, to neg, to closed off without much progression to the east.

The coastal bomb that just happened was a lucky dance of a lot of things at the right time. Although this progression is much different, it's another lucky dance of a lot of things. Hopefully the EPS jumps on board. There wasn't all that much support with the 0z for the kind of outcome we just saw. Hopefully that changes here in a few minutes... 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Heh, for a crappy pac...this panel sure shows a way to overcome it...yea...I'm good with this...

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_52.png

This goes back to the whole Atlantic vs. Pacific argument. Most people like to say of the Pac sucks we are toast. I disagree as long as we have an east based -NAO like that map is showing we are always in the game. We need systems to be forced under us. And that Greenland blocking is historically the easiest way for that to happen for us. Although over the past few years it just hasnt materialized. 

29 minutes ago, Ji said:

we actually got screwed that storm

Yep.  Worst event in my lifetime.  3".  Forecast here was for 7 - 13".  Sun out by 10AM.  Wind-whipping blew so much snow on the ground that by the time it sublimated and/or blew onto paved surfaces and melted in the sun-light we had significantly less snow on the ground that afternoon than we started the day with.  All while watching areas to the east get pounded all day long.  Jeez, sounds familiar.....

4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yep.  Worst event in lifetime.  3".  Forecast here was for 7 - 13".  Sun out by 10AM.  Wind-whipping blew so much snow on the ground that by the time it sublimated and/or blew onto paved surfaces and melted in the sun-light we had significantly less snow on the ground that afternoon than we started the day with.  All while watching areas to the east get pounded all day long.  Jeez, sounds familiar.....

I lived just northeast of Baltimore and hammered by both storms.  The snow depth was so high... I actually had to shovel a spot for my Golden to go to the bathroom.

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Take a look at the mid levels around MA/CT. Heh, the euro is beautiful here. We're one shift away from a really big storm and 2 shifts away from things I'd rather not talk about. 

The "h5 isn't good" talk is confusing me. I was salivating over what i saw at h5 before the surface plots came out. Can't judge from one frozen in time h5 panel. How the storm is evolving and things around it matter as well as how the h5 look got there. It closes off to our southwest. That's fine. Yea the track is further north then say 1996 or a few other classic KU storms but its south of say dec 09 or feb 10 2010 or the feb 2006 storm. It's fine. 

This goes back to the whole Atlantic vs. Pacific argument. Most people like to say of the Pac sucks we are toast. I disagree as long as we have an east based -NAO like that map is showing we are always in the game. We need systems to be forced under us. And that Greenland blocking is historically the easiest way for that to happen for us. Although over the past few years it just hasnt materialized. 

My thoughts exactly. PAC can be meh. I will take my chances with Atl blocking and ridging in the preferred places. I looked at the Kocin books and one thing that 9 out of 10 KU storms have is the Atl in our favor. There are a few with meh PAC, but almost all the biggies have the Atl. 

25 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

I think it interesting how similar the GFS and Euro are at 500 and how different the results.  That's most of what I mentioned in my quick piece that may or may not end up being published.  The two differences are where the low get going and whether a coastal trough sets up like on the Euro.  Looking at the GFS 500, I was surprised that it did not give us anything except on Tuesday. 

The gfs goes ape with the cold push and blasts the front way east. I've seen it do that before and it's often wrong. The trough certainly argues for a more euro solution. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived