joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so overall, today has been a disaster. Yes, we have the euro but the euro has no support. So you all know what that means. coupled with that, HM is not on board. And while expecting an improvement from 18z, we went the other way.
It seems like in the world of modeling, there is very little support for a snowstorm. Light snow showers sure....a widespread warning event....not event close. Hopefully we can make some progress tonight but its almost game over as we are already talking about day 10
Chuck hasnt posted yet about some obscure flux in the mesosphere causing a shrinking ozone hole thus enhancing the -AO for mid week and Roger Smith has yet to post a diatribe letting us know that the planets are aligned in such a way that the geomagnetic tug will pull the system farther West so yeah, probably best to punt this one.

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

He was on board at this point for last week. I'll be happy with 2" out of this. Anything more is gravy.

That's where I'm at. The front is going to crawl with the trough getting pinched. The pos tilt and slow moving front is a good way to get a couple inches of snow. SW flow so the apps don't steal everything. The gulf connection is a new development and it just started showing up. My gut is telling me we get a 1-3" overunning event regardless of the getting hit with a coastal. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

That's where I'm at. The front is going to crawl with the trough getting pinched. The pos tilt and slow moving front is a good way to get a couple inches of snow. SW flow so the apps don't steal everything. The gulf connection is a new development and it just started showing up. My gut is telling me we get a 1-3" overunning event regardless of the getting hit with a coastal. 

I'll take my 2 tenths

My take on the strat is similar to Bob. I don't see signs of a true SSW that will precipitate total PV collapse however we're already seeing the AO tank and the strat is taking on some punishment at the same time. This could help prolong the AO which could mute the thaw that otherwise would be coming based on current tropical forcing in the Pacific.  Hey if the Pacific ends up only being kinda icky and not full disaster we could even win big.  Not saying that's likely but we could easily avoid a shutout in the next 3 weeks due to these factors were seeing.

I agree that we're going to fight the PAC for the next 3 weeks or so in general. But what this winter might come down to imo are 2 things. Can we get lucky with AO help during that phase. And then after if we can line up the AO and Pacific then we could have a winning finish. I'm feeling more optimistic on the prospect of that lately given what im seeing. I respect isotherm a lot and he may be totally right but he was pretty pessimistic all along for our winter snow chances. And even he things things get better later. I'm not sold it's a shutout until then either. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm with ya', except the GFS is dry as a bone wrt overunning. If the gfs is more right than wrong, we're the chumps again.

The good news for everyone is that I've got the flu, so between the chills, shivers, fever, and overall weakness,  I probably won't be here tonight to root on our quest for the illusive MA snowstorm. I was actually delerious last night and thought there were people in my bedroom.  Lol This is a rough one.

Good post @psuhoffman. I like Iso a lot too. However, he takes his long range forecasts VERY seriously. And rightfully so becuase he's as good as anyone out there. But becuase he has a stake in the LR he also needs to protect his POV. I really like what I see in general. This winter is clearly different with the AO. Not optimal but much different than the last 6. 

Take a look at this spread....heh....we might be tracking more than we think... EPS is picking up on more chances too down the line. 

f240.gif

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I'm with ya', except the GFS is dry as a bone wrt overunning. If the gfs is more right than wrong, we're the chumps again.

The good news for everyone is that I've got the flu, so between the chills, shivers, fever, and overall weakness,  I probably won't be here tonight to root on our quest for the illusive MA snowstorm. I was actually delerious last night and thought there were people in my bedroom.  Lol This is a rough one.

You might be right because most of the ensemble runs that give us a healthy hit with the overrunning also end up a hit with the coastal.  The more the front holders up and orients north south the more likely both are.  The gfs kills everything with an insane cold push that blasts in and says game over  

I hope you get better soon. I've been sick over a week. It sucks. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

18 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

OMG. Seriously feel better Mitch! Just curious—which people did you hallucinate?  I’m guessing JI, Chill, and most definitely PSU. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Scraff said:

OMG. Seriously feel better Mitch! Just curious—which people did you hallucinate?  I’m guessing JI, Chill, and most definitely PSU. :lol:

I've been in a prednisone insomnia induced haze for days. Maybe I was actually there!!!

its not paranoia if they really are out to get you. 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Looks like 1 to 2 inches I95 and west... better than nothing through 108

We have 2 ways to get something. The slow frontal passage/overrunning deal can be a 1-3/2-4 deal with instant stickage. I'm good with that. I know others aren't but getting a couple inches on cold ground would be a nice win considering our luck near the corridor this year. The SW flow works well in our region. Not much downsloping to worry about. 

If the coastal pops then great and I'm glad it's not one or the other. The front running stuff is becoming more likely each run. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

We have 2 ways to get something. The slow frontal passage/overrunning deal can be a 1-3/2-4 deal with instant stickage. I'm good with that. I know others aren't but getting a couple inches on cold ground would be a nice win considering our luck near the corridor this year. The SW flow works well in our region. Not much downsloping to worry about. 

If the coastal pops then great and I'm glad it's not one or the other. The front running stuff is becoming more likely each run. 

Yup, def agree here.  Couple of inches from light overunning is fine by me

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived