joxey
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Amped said:

Nickles and dimes baby.

If we lock into a 1-4" region wide event with no temp issues then it's a major win. We all conceded we were done for possibly the rest of the month just a short time ago. And now we have a snow event in the med range that works and not some skipover northern stream disaster like it first presented itself. If that is reason to melt down them folks need to seriously consider giving up on the entire hobby permanently. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If we lock into a 1-4" region wide event with no temp issues then it's a major win. We all conceded we were done for possibly the rest of the month just a short time ago. And now we have a snow event in the med range that works and not some skipover northern stream disaster like it first presented itself. If that is reason to melt down them folks need to seriously consider giving up on the entire hobby permanently. 

We are not that far from an event day7 from the next shortwave, there is now a 50/50 low from the NS system. and if the cold can hold on a bit longer as it has been trending, something interesting could come.

How quickly you went from an upside event to accepting another trace event. Maybe we both need to move

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The front has juiced up the last few runs.if that trend continues we can get a region wide 2 to 4.huge win

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Mosesji leading his people over the ledge

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

The front has juiced up the last few runs.if that trend continues we can get a region wide 2 to 4.huge win

Keeps going up.  2-4 from a slow moving front?  Sorry but I don’t see that occurrence unless it stalls.  My opinion.  

12 minutes ago, Ji said:

How quickly you went from an upside event to accepting another trace event. Maybe we both need to move

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't think you read what I say. There's still upside. One gfs run d4+ doesn't decide our fate. Heck, the gfs often can't do it under 72 hours. The coastal is touchy. We all know that and it can still happen. The gfs slowed the front *again*. What if it slows even more and taps a little more juice? What if a weak wave gets embedded in sw flow? Would you be good with 5"? Becuase even that can happen with no coastal. 

I like seeing snow fall. It's my favorite part of every event. Even 1" on cold ground looks pretty nice. I mean yea, I want 50 feet to fall but some snow is ALWAYS better than no snow. I get  plenty of no snow so some snow is always a treat and not a disaster. 

Just now, T. August said:

I think one of those dropped 6-10? Maybe I’m wrong though.

Those require a wave of low pressure and a good vort pass. We had some snow events that striped us on SW flow. I like these kinds of events because you can watch radar and see snow stream up from TN. Unlike other events where you have to wait for development and things blossom overhead. Those events get on my nerves. Not because of lack of snow but becuase I have to weed through countless "radar looks terrible" posts becuase people don't understand how the atmosphere works. Lol

i remember asking a met professor at umd (when i was looking at their grad program) and we were talking about the best way to get snowstorms here.  i had said nor'easters (i had no idea what i was talking about) and he plainly said it's usually from overrunning.  maybe he was right.

4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i remember asking a met professor at umd (when i was looking at their grad program) and we were talking about the best way to get snowstorms here.  i had said nor'easters (i had no idea what i was talking about) and he plainly said it's usually from overrunning.  maybe he was right.

It's an easy way at least. Normally only happens with blocked flow aligned wsw-ene. Progressive flow with no blocking is too fast and usually too amplified. Stripes are narrow.

Good overunning events happen best when things are slowed down. The upcoming setup is ok but not great. Would like to see something develop on the tail in TX or the deep south and make a run at us but the shortwave isn't digging far enough. Models are still figuring it all out.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's an easy way at least. Normally only happens with blocked flow aligned wsw-ene. Progressive flow with no blocking is too fast and usually too amplified. Stripes are narrow.

Good overunning events happen best when things are slowed down. The upcoming setup is ok but not great. Would like to see something develop on the tail in TX or the deep south and make a run at us but the shortwave isn't digging far enough. Models are still figuring it all out.

I’m just glad we’re tracking.  5 days ago we were worried about a shutout pattern for this time period. 

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The UKMET may have something based on surface and 500

Yea it might....

GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

Trough swings through and goes negative. Would think there's a band of overrunning as it swings through. Don't think a coastal would form in time but could be a half decent event. 24 hour gaps leave us guessing with all the important stuff. Lol. Closed off but north....

GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

Just now, Chris78 said:

Yes. I believe that was it. I think they were calling for a couple inches but the band of snow didn't move much and got several hours of moderate snow.

Picked up close to 4 inches in reisterstown. Started snowing around 8 a.m. and ended in the evening. Forecast was for 1-2. Nice overperformer.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived