Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, PCT_ATC said:

Oh you guys.. Im not fallin for it this time!  anything outside of 48 hours is pure fantasy land this winter.   

There's nothing to fall for. We're 4-6 days out with something worth watching. That's all there is to it. If it pans out then great. If it goes poof then that's just how we roll sometimes. At least the way the models are going with this is something that can work well here. I hated the initial looks with the northern stream bowling ball. I've seen many of those go down the tubes. So many that I didn't even get excited. At least now there's reason to "believe" it's possible. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There's nothing to fall for. We're 4-6 days out with something worth watching. That's all there is to it. If it pans out then great. If it goes poof then that's just how we roll sometimes. At least the way the models are going with this is something that can work well here. I hated the initial looks with the northern stream bowling ball. I've seen many of those go down the tubes. So many that I didn't even get excited. At least now there's reason to "believe" it's possible. 

Plus with a pattern change, and if things start slowing down, we should also consider that the models MAY start doing a little better than they have so far this year in the 4-7 day range. Going with recency bias may not be a slam dunk if we aren't factoring in a pattern shift.

15 minutes ago, cae said:

Here are the last five runs for the GEFS average snow depth a week from now.  There were some hints at 00z and 06z, but it's a lot different now.  It's not too surprising, given how the GEFS tend to follow the op.  I'd like to see a similar jump on the EPS or GEPS.

ETA: Looking a this again, I feel bad for the I81 crew.

wO1XM2I.gif

Congrats to the usual suspects this winter.  And condolences to the usuals, as well.

5 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Plus with a pattern change, and if things start slowing down, we should also consider that the models MAY start doing a little better than they have so far this year in the 4-7 day range. Going with recency bias may not be a slam dunk if we aren't factoring in a pattern shift.

I keep it pretty simple. We're either in a shutout pattern or we're not. They are both easy to spot. Yea, we all want a perfect set of teleconnections and a juicey shortwave attacking cold  from the southwest but that stuff only happens once in a while. If that's someone's bar for a good pattern then they need to step away from their computer 95-100% of the time every year. I'm just thankful we're in the game. When the flip in the pac showed up it really did look like a shutout pattern. That has completely changed. Do I think snow will come easy how things look? No, absolutely not. On the other hand I don't see any signs of an extended shutout pattern anymore. Give us enough chances and things will break our way eventually. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I keep it pretty simple. We're either in a shutout pattern or we're not. They are both easy to spot. Yea, we all want a perfect set of teleconnections and a juice shortwave attacking cold  from the southwest but that stuff only happens once in a while. If that's someone's bar for a good pattern then they need to step away from their computer 95-100% of the time every year. I'm just thankful we're in the game. When the flip in the pac showed up it really did look like a shutout pattern. That has completely changed. Do I think snow will come easy how things look? No, absolutely not. On the other hand I don't see any signs of an extended shutout pattern anymore. Give us enough chances and things will break our way eventually. 

Definitely -- the big win in the last week or so is going from complete shutout in prime climo to at least some chances coming along. If we're going to have a mixed bag scenario, now's definitely the time we have the best shot at having enough default climo-level cold to make something work.

Just now, mitchnick said:

I'm having a real hard time believing this wouldn't be good, but I don't have the precip panels yet

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=us&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2018011212&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=116

It's good mitch. Warning level snow through the whole region. You and me would get 5-7" depending on ratios....heh

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks to close off sooner this run. 

It's in the right spot.  Closed 500mb low over KY would work finefor a KU storm.  1028mb pressure in Boston looks fine for a KU storm. We're missing a 1004mb low over WV and another one forming on  the Carolina coast, because moisture return is non existent.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro still trending towards slowing down the southern piece and amplifying to our south. It's going to be a while before models converge on this one...

This has legit mecs upside potential.  Doesn't mean it comes together but just a bit more amped on that wave and we get a 6-12" storm. It's a good run and was so close to even better. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived