Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I just went back and looked at H5 on the 12z GGEM and the 12z GFS, The main differences are sharper trough and slightly west, And the northern stream vort digging further south and capturing the slp and tugging it back to the NW.

Yes, more snow for my house! Looks like it to me

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I just went back and looked at H5 on the 12z GGEM and the 12z GFS, The main differences are sharper trough and slightly west, And the northern stream vort digging further south and capturing the slp and tugging it back to the NW.

Question is, why are they not seeing the same thing and which is correct (if either is)?

Reading the Charleston Sc, Wilmington NC, discos i wonder why these offices weigh the gfs so much for the coastal ...especially since it's horrible with east coast cyclones.

Is this just some outdated political correctness at these offices (most offices) or what am i missing or pressure to use the "American model"

Like, its better to be incorrect w everyone else and use gfs than go away from the herd and be right a bit more bc when ur wrong and on your own u got some explaining to do?

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Reading the Charleston Sc, Wilmington NC, discos i wonder why these offices weigh the gfs so much for the coastal ...especially since it's horrible with east coast cyclones.

Is this just some outdated political correctness at these offices (most offices) or what am i missing

It's really not that bad most of the time. It struggles with high intensity cyclones.

47 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Looks pretty robust on wv to me. 

COD.gif

This thing will look like a beast regardless of where it tracks... should be impressive on satellite and water vapor over the next few days.  Gonna take a strong shortwave to get a low down into the 950mb range.  The East Coast images should be awesome.  Can't wait for the high res GOES imagery.

Just now, powderfreak said:

This thing will look like a beast regardless... should be impressive on satellite and water vapor over the next few days.  Gonna take a strong shortwave to get a low down into the 950mb range.

March 2014 was impressive too. Just saying. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This thing will look like a beast regardless of where it tracks... should be impressive on satellite and water vapor over the next few days.  Gonna take a strong shortwave to get a low down into the 950mb range.  The East Coast images should be awesome.  Can't wait for the high res GOES imagery.

Agreed. Loops will be cached for later reference, no doubt. Spank bank material.

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is this just some outdated political correctness at these offices (most offices) or what am i missing

Like, its better to be incorrect w everyone else and use gfs than go away from the herd and be right a bit more bc when ur wrong and on your own u got some explaining to do?

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

It's really not that bad most of the time. It struggles with high intensity cyclones.

GFS has a little more respect in the Carolinas and isn't as sensitive with bias as further north. I haven't live up here long enough to understand why y'all hate the GFS, but it does decent with southern events (especially when blended with the Euro). NAM is often too far west and overly-amped in the Carolinas, but it can score few coups with the mixed precip events. The way we forecast winter events in the south, it's better to be conservative than to be proactive.

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

GFS has a little more respect in the Carolinas and isn't as sensitive with bias as further north. I haven't live up here long enough to understand why y'all hate the GFS, but it does decent with southern events (especially when blended with the Euro). NAM is often too far west and overly-amped in the Carolinas, but it can score few coups with the mixed precip events. The way we forecast winter events in the south, it's better to be conservative than to be proactive.

It is also like that up here most of the time.  Not quite as bad as the ARW based family but it gets amp happy a lot of the time.  Thus it's one of my favorite models to look at and hope for, ha. 

The problem with the GFS is there have been a few very large short-term busts with tracks of coastal storms.  So its hard to trust it at all, but the same is true for the NAM/WRF/SREF family because they can get overly excited.  The truth is usually between them, which is a solid event for eastern New England in this case of wind and snow.  

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Honestly don't remember that storm... but yeah ocean storms can have incredible imagery.  Like I said, regardless of track it will look like a beaut.

I remember it...my father passed during the lead in. Ugh...became clear it would whiff night of the 4th, then he was gone 12 hours later.

One factor to remember with this and all other storms this season is that this is my winter and everyone else is just living in it.  All the snow stolen over the past decade is being returned, all the whiffs and underperformers of yore are all being whiped clean.  It is my season and all of the snow shall be mine.  All the clippers over perform, the coastals give me a deform band, te cold is unrelenting, the cutters slide trend south, and the pack grows evermore!

I am only half joking.

hqdefault.jpg

Question:  why is no one talking about the Swiss model any more?

Archived