Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dendrite said:

Western weenies are going to need to start seeing some bigger movement. Having the CMC, RPM, and SREFs on your team is like trying to win the super bowl with the Browns.

Yeah you need to start seeing some higher skill models come on board. If you are like CT valley and west down here and maybe close to your area and NW up there. 

Browns might be a bit harsh...once in a while the NAM/Rpm score the coup...prob more like the Bills running the table this year in the playoffs. :lol:

I still think this southern stream is going to tuck in closer to the northern stream than the globals show. This might be a good storm for the non-hydrostatic models with that ridiculous amount of tropical convection. You still trust the globals at this time lead but if we get to around 36-48 hours out and we have a model war, I'm prob going to lean toward that Rgem/NAM camp if they are on the same team. 

Just now, weathafella said:

Harvey’s twitter suggest a strong chance of plowable or higher in eastern MA.

Really going out on a limb there, haha.  The chance of plowable (2-3"+) in eastern Mass is nearing 100%.  Even if worse case scenario it takes you 12 hours to get 3"... you'll be plowing at worst case.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Huh?  The chance of plowable (2-3"+) in eastern Mass is nearing 100%.  Even if worse case scenario it takes you 12 hours to get 3"... you'll be plowing at worst case.

Yeah that means very little to me lol... they plowed the 1” on Christmas. The threshold for plowable used to be a couple inches now it seems like whenever it snows 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you need to start seeing some higher skill models come on board. If you are like CT valley and west down here and maybe close to your area and NW up there. 

Browns might be a bit harsh...once in a while the NAM/Rpm score the coup...prob more like the Bills running the table this year in the playoffs. :lol:

I still think this southern stream is going to tuck in closer to the northern stream than the globals show. This might be a good storm for the non-hydrostatic models with that ridiculous amount of tropical convection. You still trust the globals at this time lead but if we get to around 36-48 hours out and we have a model war, I'm prob going to lean toward that Rgem/NAM camp if they are on the same team. 

This.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah that means very little to me lol... they plowed the 1” on Christmas. The threshold for plowable used to be a couple inches now it seems like whenever it snows 

Harvey and I grew up with the same storms.  I’d say dollars to donuts he means 4+.   We didn’t have the plows come for less back in the day..

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh this was over a long time ago, IMO.  Most knew the western half of New England was a long shot for good advisory and warning snows...the Eastern sections are always weary of it, just like western sections are weary of the eastern tracks.  But this has had eastern New England written on it for days.  I've been on the BOS train with this storm for a while.

Yea. I was trying to will this one west for days, I’m exhausted....but giving 0z runs one last chance to make it right for us, we “need and deserve it”.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Harvey and I grew up with the same storms.  I’d say dollars to donuts he means 4+.   We didn’t have the plows come for less back in the day..

Yeah even that I think the chances for 6"+ of wind-blown powder are pretty good in eastern Mass with the onshore flow into what has been a brutal air mass... speed convergence from friction as air comes ashore, coastal front development, large snow growth zone that may be able to tap into both some mid-level lift and low-level meso-scale features like ORH Hills orographics and coastal front.  Should be good dendrites like Feb 2015 storms.  Even 0.3-0.4" QPF and you guys are 6"+ easy which seems like a lock at this point.  Only negative would be if the winds are so high they end up packing the dendrites tight, but with good snow growth giving solid structure, they can often survive the collisions in the fall.  If I had the time, it would be worth a quick few hour drive down to BOS for the night.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s like those southern streamer SWFEs where the convection goes wild down south and the models never seem to catch up with the latent heating and downstream ridging right up to go time of the event.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh this was over a long time ago, IMO.  Most knew the western half of New England was a long shot for good advisory and warning snows...the Eastern sections are always weary of it, just like western sections are weary of the eastern tracks.  But this has had eastern New England written on it for days.  I've been on the BOS train with this storm for a while.

I'm weary because I'm wary.

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. I was trying to will this one west for days, I’m exhausted....but giving 0z runs one last chance to make it right for us, we “need and deserve it”.

Oh' no way bro' WNE cashes in all the time, we need to throw love to the CP folk!

Seriously though I will concede this storm to E folks come 12z runs tomorrow but not sooner.

Worse yet ... there's so much instability with all this cold transport heading out over the warm west Atlantic that (I suspect) the fast nature of the flow overtop is contributing to prematurely spinning up and then ejecting the low - i.e. Perhaps too much model sensitivity. 

Another problem is we don't have much downstream blocking here ... that really would help quite a bit

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh' no way bro' WNE cashes in all the time, we need to throw love to the CP folk!

Seriously though I will concede this storm to E folks come 12z runs tomorrow but not sooner.

You’re a better weenie than I am. Going to need a miracle inside 72hrs. The hand of God has to come riding down the polar jet and horse collar tackle it just before our latitude. 

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

every run gets further west, digs deeper and then poof! out to sea.  But I feel this storm will come further west and I expect to wake up at 3am for my pee/weather check to see good news on here.

Yeah, defintely some tics W past 24hrs.  I wouldn't trust the "poof, out to sea" depictions.  I think we see this thing wind up down S, come in a bit slower and get advisory snows back towards NY/MA border.  I don't think WNE cashes on anything big but a general 2-4" for those W of the CT River in SNE.

Archived