Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Much weaker relative to its "bombier" runs. 

I can almost see that ... Excuse the anthropomorphism but, it's like

"Well wait ... I can't do that if I have to consider ...  oh schit! - output deadline.  Let's give 'em this for now and we'll think about it for later. "

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I really wish I could be at Pit2 for this.......they might do well.  It's also my last attempt at winter (cold aside) for the next two weeks.

yup I think that would be a great spot for this one, I am not convinced of much outside of crazy bouts of cold anyways going forward

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would not be shocked if it trended West.  That being said, it is really tough to get blizzard verification at inland sites. 

That's true for the vast majority of events if wind is required. 

AMS:  http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Blizzard

Terrain is important... Out in Plains/  Great Lakes regions, the flattish terrain is less impeding on laminar flow, such that air motion is less "gusty" in nature, and you can sustain higher winds closer to the ground.  But, we are hillier in terrain around here ... We're far more often to get winter storm warning snow fall rates/visibility, with gusts occasionally limiting further to blizzard proportions, but unlikely to "sustain" that for three straight hours outside of some extremely rare circumstances.  The thing is ... who's really qualifying differences if it's 21 F with 3.78" per hour falling for three hours, just because the wind is only 25 mph ...  That's choking - these are all just silly rules we invent to categorize things...

Probably a dumb question but...   We all talk about pieces of energy finally coming into areas where they can be sampled better.  My memory stinks but for those of you that remember these types of things are there good examples of when models showed more or less one  solution and then all of a sudden a piece of energy all gets sampled and ingested and we see a big shift in track?  

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not sure why folks are saying the 00z is "the first" for sampling - 

the waves are on land and were so starting at 06z ... is there some intel on why we're waiting until 00z ?

This is what BOX was saying until the most recent AFD:

The lead shortwave will be
entering the NW CONUS this morning but second shortwave which is
the critical piece in determining the amplification of the
Great Lakes trough is still over the Pacific and moving into
western Canada this morning. This shortwave will not be well
sampled by upper air network until tonight so suspect 00z Tue or
12z Tue model suite will have a better handle on resolving the
finer details.

Archived