Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ur missing something, cuz we have had no blocking and the SE ridge wasn't an issue till now 

Exactly.   You certainly want a -EPO.  It's a marriage of Sorts.  Some tele's are more important than others(EPO is certainly a big one), and the EPO you want on our side.  But if the others are all against us, the EPO cant do it all, all of the time.  Like was mentioned, if the trough axis is too far west then storms/systems cut to our west.  If the Southeast Ridge is raging, then that helps systems cut as well.  It's not just one thing that we can hang our hat on at any given time.  If we have a raging -EPO like looks to be coming...but the trough is displaced too far to the west for optimal results for SNE, then that's when the other tele's can help out if they are favorable(NAO), if not then sometimes the EPO just cant do it on it's own.   

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not the real story.  Cutter risk is a function of the SE ridge amplitude which is best muted by NAO.

I'll say the SE ridge is a function of the location and amplitude of the EPO.  The PAC rules the roost with the ATL playing a supporting role for us.  If we have a high amplitude ridge out west as being modeled around Christmas you will inherently have a SE Ridge.  This is where having a high latitude blocking can save us and beat down that SE ridge.  I see that potentially developing after Christmas time.

46 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Exactly.   You certainly want a -EPO.  It's a marriage of Sorts.  Some tele's are more important than others(EPO is certainly a big one), and the EPO you want on our side.  But if the others are all against us, the EPO cant do it all, all of the time.  Like was mentioned, if the trough axis is too far west then storms/systems cut to our west.  If the Southeast Ridge is raging, then that helps systems cut as well.  It's not just one thing that we can hang our hat on at any given time.  If we have a raging -EPO like looks to be coming...but the trough is displaced too far to the west for optimal results for SNE, then that's when the other tele's can help out if they are favorable(NAO), if not then sometimes the EPO just cant do it on it's own.   

Which others are against us aside from NAO?

18 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

He’s an eternal optimist, which is fine. As I said in the NYC forum anyone claiming victory at this lead time is also setting up for failure. Allot of players on the field, some very positive. Let’s see how it shakes out

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS verbatim is snow to ice inland and snow to rain for coast...but it's trending the Euro's way. That could easily end up warm.

EPS brings the front through, Euro had a 60 degree high, GFS now 33. I would wait on calling one run a trend. This could go either way using Ensemble forecasting

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

He’s an eternal optimist, which is fine. As I said in the NYC forum anyone claiming victory at this lead time is also setting up for failure. Allot of players on the field, some very positive. Let’s see how it shakes out

Its not fine, its dumb.

Go start a cheerleading forum with that horse$hit.

He needs to start supporting claims.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its not fine, its dumb.

Go start a cheerleading forum with that horse$hit.

He needs to start supporting claims.

I have been bashed many times because of this and ended up being right.

With the epo and wpo tanking , there should be enough cold air near Xmas for the storm to be off the coast. Gefs supports that. Still a while to go but it's not going to be warm on Xmas.

Just now, Snow88 said:

With the epo and wpo tanking , there should be enough cold air near Xmas for the storm to be off the coast. Gefs supports that. Still a while to go but it's not going to be warm on Xmas.

The fact that the indices are taking is meaningless unless ridge orientation is in the correct place for the east coast.  The cold may dump into the Plains and we are left on warm side of the boundary.

Just now, Snow88 said:

The EPO is in the East PACIFIC...how in the hell does that block a storm from cutting???

All the EPO does is ensure that it is cold before and after any storm, but you are still subject to timing issues and amplitude of the SW with regard to track.

Saying it won't cut soley becuase of the EPO is wrong, and just because ypu happen to get lucky does not mean the EPO stopped it from cutting.

You are either wrong, or wrong and lucky.

Archived