Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I don’t remember deep cover that day.  And my point is this cold had snow 5-6 days beforehand but the snap didn’t come with snow in or out.  There was a system that was progged on the front end but it farted.

You had 8 to 12 OTG point being it was only 3 days. Last I remember long big cold, weeklies have 2 weeks -8 each, not having a good snowstorm was 89

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

When was the last time this decade we had big cold with no snow within 10 days

I mean the chances of getting absolutely 0.0" of snow with big cold is pretty small... but if you take away snowfalls under 3-4" I bet we've seen quite a few but again maybe not as "within 10 days" is a big range.  That can take up 20+ days of a month if you are looking at 10 days either side of a arctic snap.

I feel like I've seen plenty of times when huge cold fails to deliver more than 3-4" in the past decade. 

Anyway, this is definitely more of a gradient La Nina pattern now... southern Quebec has been and will keep getting crushed it seems.  It's so close that we are lucky in NNE to be reaping some benefits.  Need that whole gradient to slide like 75 miles south and we'd be golden though.  That's the risk in a Nina winter though.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I mean the chances of getting absolutely 0.0" of snow with big cold is pretty small... but if you take away snowfalls under 3-4" I bet we've seen quite a few but again maybe not as "within 10 days" is a big range.  That can take up 20+ days of a month if you are looking at 10 days either side of a arctic snap.

I feel like I've seen plenty of times when huge cold fails to deliver more than 3-4" in the past decade. 

Anyway, this is definitely more of a gradient La Nina pattern now... southern Quebec has been and will keep getting crushed it seems.  It's so close that we are lucky in NNE to be reaping some benefits.  Need that whole gradient to slide like 75 miles south and we'd be golden though.  That's the risk in a Nina winter though.

Yea you smoke cirrus a lot in big cold, you don't count.

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I take through January as all the way to the end.  Everyone should be aware that week 2 is cold.  We already have that info via the ensembles.  

Through all of Jan is different than through Jan just semantics I guess, but remember what the last week of Dec looked like 2 weeks ago, Ben Noll was quick to post that but conveniently forget when the Thursday update flipped. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Through all of Jan is different than through Jan just semantics I guess, but remember what the last week of Dec looked like 2 weeks ago, Ben Noll was quick to post that but conveniently forget when the Thursday update flipped. 

The checked the weeklies from 2 weeks ago it looks like they properly forecasted troughing in the east?  Obviously subdued on amplitude.  

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The checked the weeklies from 2 weeks ago it looks like they properly forecasted troughing in the east?  Obviously subdued on amplitude.  

They probably got it 4 weeks ago.  They do usually dumb stuff down though.  So if they show a pig ridge at week 4-5 on a consistent basis it’s a decent chance you’re going to see some sort of insanely amplified pattern 

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea you smoke cirrus a lot in big cold, you don't count.

Haha true enough... if I lived and worked where you do I'd be rooting to take my chances with deep cold every single time.  It's funny but that's how diverse our sub-forum is.  If I'm within 1 county of the ocean, I'd be going for the coldest possible outcome I can.  The risk of suppression depression is there but at the same time not really compared to the rest of us.  How many times has the south coast come away with good snows while 75% of New England is smoking cirrus or seeing dim sun during those patterns...even in a mid-Atlantic pattern you are getting in on it usually.  And that takes a cold air mass.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha true enough... if I lived and worked where you do I'd be rooting to take my chances with deep cold every single time.  It's funny but that's how diverse our sub-forum is.  If I'm within 1 county of the ocean, I'd be going for the coldest possible outcome I can.  The risk of suppression depression is there but at the same time not really compared to the rest of us.  How many times has the south coast come away with good snows while 75% of New England is smoking cirrus or seeing dim sun during those patterns...even in a mid-Atlantic pattern you are getting in on it usually.  And that takes a cold air mass.

Yep the further south you are the more you need deep cold. 

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We’re all at Clarke’s.   Will and Scott don’t think week 4 is that bad.  Max heights north is ok.

They’re also wasted . The models tonight are like girls back in the day to them. Beer goggles. Ugly runs look like Mila Kunis tonight and tomorrow they’ll look like Mike Francesca

Archived