Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

It's pretty cool. I'm actually most excited for an IR temp sensor we have that measures road temp. 

Omg...i have one of those. Fun stuff. I love aiming them up at Cu clouds on SCT days. It’ll hit a cloud and be about 15C colder than 2m and then drop way below zero with clear sky. Mine has a 10deg FOV and measures the clear sky temp up around 450mb. So I was able to log the data and estimate the low/mid level cloudiness at night by making algorithms with the delta T’s. It works during the day too, but sun hitting the sensor affects it...using solar radiation algorithms compared to what’s expected works better for daytime cloudiness estimates.

15 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's pretty cool. I'm actually most excited for an IR temp sensor we have that measures road temp. 

I saw it in Canton at the Mobil gas station the other night, pretty neat somebody spend some $$, didn’t you guys already have the ford truck and another Jeep?

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah. .5 miles inland at the elbow means all snow.

That was sneaky one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard on this site. You can literally throw a rock from Harwich to Chatham. Doesn’t get more outer cape than that.

He should probably be all in on the Friday Sat deal coming closer. If the Sunday thing turns into anything worthwhile, that area is probably struggling at best 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Omg...i have one of those. Fun stuff. I love aiming them up at Cu clouds on SCT days. It’ll hit a cloud and be about 15C colder than 2m and then drop way below zero with clear sky. Mine has a 10deg FOV and measures the clear sky temp up around 450mb. So I was able to log the data and estimate the low/mid level cloudiness at night by making algorithms with the delta T’s. It works during the day too, but sun hitting the sensor affects it...using solar radiation algorithms compared to what’s expected works better for daytime cloudiness estimates.

Yeah this thing cost a lot of money I think... they sell to DPWs and it mounts on the front bumper. I was surprised how well it works. We have the data coming back to the stations (lat/lon/ambient air temp/road sfc temp)

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

His 60hr straight -SN events usually end up 8hrs of snow followed by a 24hr break and then another 8hrs of snow showers.

This.

i know he’s just looking/poking the forum for comments...but everybody with half a brain knows there is no continuous snow(flurries or not) going to happen.   

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah this thing cost a lot of money I think... they sell to DPWs and it mounts on the front bumper. I was surprised how well it works. We have the data coming back to the stations (lat/lon/ambient air temp/road sfc temp)

Yeah they work awesome for skin and snow surface temp too. I think a lot of the RWIS sites have them. Way better for early black ice detection versus 2m temps.

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Please tell that person that right now the models are showing days of snow. If they knew how to find and a read x model x time they would see that.. 

Only a silly fool would believe that depiction...c’mon, your not that far gone are you?  

If you really think its going to snow from friday night through Sunday night...you need some real therapy lmao....whether the model is showing that or not at this time....I’ll sell on that nonsense.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

:weenie:

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

On 12 hour increments.. look at the rh saturation . That’s straight thru snow of varying intensities. Ok.. maybe it stops for an hour between 9:00 and 10:00 AM

Saturated is a good measure of consistent clouds.  No doubt its probably hours and hours of clouds this weekend.  But that's only one part of the equation.

Looks like there's two distinct periods of some UVVs moving through your area on most models... for example the latest GFS has measurable precip in 3 of 8 panels for the weekend in Tolland.

Archived