joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

wave spacing is meh so there is no recovery from lead wave

That sucker diving out of James bay at 126 hours acts as a bit of kicker which prob prevents a total full blown miller B solution. But yeah, if we had more room on the front side too then it probably wouldn't matter.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Bingo.

I knew it would suck when Fri was closer.

Except it was better than the 18z run which was further east for friday night.

The 2nd shortwave was definitely better this run. That is pretty close to a nice system...I'm not convinced it wouldn't be with that upper air look anyway.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

That sucker diving out of James bay at 126 hours acts as a bit of kicker which prob prevents a total full blown miller B solution. But yeah, if we had more room on the front side too then it probably wouldn't matter.

Kind of the way things will be as far as I can tell.  Fast flow won't allow for much in the way of amplification.  Verbatim still looks like ~6"+ for the SE MA area with less N & W.

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

An all timer with that nao no less.  

Just watched a bunch of vids from Dec 1960  I was 3 and you 13, helluva way for a 13 year old to have fun. 94 mph in Block Island. Saw Dec 1960 on some analogs so I looked around LOL 

GFS has a serious vort max yikes

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The 2nd shortwave was definitely better this run. That is pretty close to a nice system...I'm not convinced it wouldn't be with that upper air look anyway.

You could see it was a pretty potent vort digging south then rounding the base of the trough, I'm still sold on this will be better at the surface just based on that look at H5.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

But you hit the nail on the head, my concerns are more with the kicker

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not a parallel obviously but didn’t we have this argument in January 2015?   The famous scooter melt down over the first wave...lol.

Yeah sort of, though this is a bit of a diff setup...Ray is right that if we wrap the first system too close then it will push the baroclinic zone further east in its wake which will make it harder for storm #2 to amplify....but the main difference is that the longwave trough axis never moves east of us like you see in other systems with wave spacing issues...it's using the same trough to amplify with...so we should be able to pull the baroclinic zone back west a bit as long as the 2nd shortwave digs to our southwest.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Doesn't matter, anyway....provisional solution as it reconciles current modeling with reality.

I think we'll get it.

Archived