• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

Sunday shortwave still digs pretty good on euro so I won't be surprised if that one comes back a little. 

The good thing about this pattern though is that with that ridge out west, it's a loaded gun...if the weekend threats all fail, there's another right in the pipeline. 12/13 has been a date of interest for a few days now on ensembles. 12/16 as well. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro right off the bat, has that classic tail of vorticity at hr 78, hanging back into SOCAL. GFS has a feature similar, but not as glaring as the euro op. That's sort of a euro bias I feel like...however I would not rule it out 100%. Just something I noticed. That feature doesn't allow the flow to buckle and developing ridging in the western Atlantic.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Don’t rule out anything.

Jer,  I'm officially on the record as ruling out days and days of snow like was claimed....I mean how ridiculous.   A coating to a few inches on Friday if you're out east...sure,  and who knows what Sunday's shortwave is going to do?   But the whole days and days of light snow(Friday night-Sunday night)...that was a joke from the moment it was said.  

And if it were to happen...I'd gladly give credit where it's due.   

I dunno... the last 7 days of this pattern change saga in the models has featured a pretty clear and prevalent ...  "lowest common denominator aspect" ... regardless of model, and that is to mute events at least excuse imagined...  

Even if a given model cycle attempts to buck that trend and 'kink' enough here and there, what happens on the next run?     SMASH... mashed out of existence by this compressed, high velocity flow. 

The LCD above of muting events (unfortunately...) fits that, so seeing the models behave that way ...heh, doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room to assume other scenarios.  So, I'm inclined to think that folks should really set their expectations toward nothing ... until such further notice when it is appropriate to be pleasantly surprised.  Probably short duration lead and for very fast moving minor systems.  

Would help us immensely if we could get the best surface pressure falls along the Northern Gulf Coast around hr 78 on the 6z GFS. Need a stronger shortwave to make this one produce for a majority of the subforum. Flow is fast; system needs to get going early or it will be too late for most who are north/west of I95.. 6z GFS was a step in the right direction... GEFS trends are also positive...

51 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

As we close into being ‘in the pattern’, have to be happy that a) it is as modeled and b ) there isn’t a breakdown in sight. 

We may strikeout a few times but I prefer to be in the box constantly than sit in the dugout. 

Very true, though it's less than inspiring to see the gfs with  the rain event followed by 14 days of near-zero qpf.  At least it will get cold, though nothing special.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro right off the bat, has that classic tail of vorticity at hr 78, hanging back into SOCAL. GFS has a feature similar, but not as glaring as the euro op. That's sort of a euro bias I feel like...however I would not rule it out 100%. Just something I noticed. That feature doesn't allow the flow to buckle and developing ridging in the western Atlantic.

I call BS.

Won't be a major event,  but should get on the board.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Jer,  I'm officially on the record as ruling out days and days of snow like was claimed....I mean how ridiculous.   A coating to a few inches on Friday if you're out east...sure,  and who knows what Sunday's shortwave is going to do?   But the whole days and days of light snow(Friday night-Sunday night)...that was a joke from the moment it was said.  

And if it were to happen...I'd gladly give credit where it's due.   

Jesus, you are obsessed with Kevin.

Perhaps Santa will leave you a pair of his boxers post morning jog under the tree?

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Jesus, you are obsessed with Kevin.

Perhaps Santa will leave you a pair of his boxers post morning jog under the tree?

Lol, I agree with him that the "Days and days of snow" is horsecrap though....but yeah, he does love to rip on his posts.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I call BS.

Won't be a major event,  but should get on the board.

Yeah I'll be surprised if we "escape" this weekend without measurable. Could happen, but that's a lot of dodging bullets for us to get completely whiffed with the amped trough and multiple shortwaves.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Congrats SW Texas and Mexico

57 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Would help us immensely if we could get the best surface pressure falls along the Northern Gulf Coast around hr 78 on the 6z GFS. Need a stronger shortwave to make this one produce for a majority of the subforum. Flow is fast; system needs to get going early or it will be too late for most who are north/west of I95.. 6z GFS was a step in the right direction... GEFS trends are also positive...

Bingo !  ...that's really it, right there.  

The faster the flow, the strong the S/W has to be.  

It's vector calculus really --- ..  S/W have a wind max (not speaking to you, but the general reader), and the "typical" S/W is around ... 90 kts give or take... with an entrance and exit region as the entire wave structure the wind max is embedded in ... attempts to move through the flow. 

If the wind, prior to the exit region of the jet ... is already 90 kts...  do that math.  Using that as an example, that = 0 difference.  

The difference is why the S/W goes on to generate storminess..  

That's about as simple as one can put it when typing text into a social-media outlet.  ...we could get into restoring forces, and q-vectors that result from difference that are greater than 0...  but it will probably glaze eyes over, and Mets already know it... blah blah.  But if the difference is large, you get massive restoring, and that restoring is what causes the cyclone to form when factoring in all the planetary/physical variables into the kinematic package. 

When this pattern started sniffin' out 10 days ago or whenever that was, I was apprehensive right off the bat.  Hell, I remember saying in a couple posts back in October (actually) that I was going to be looking for the plaguing compression and too fast thing that was also ubiquitous over the last two winters ... Well, here we are... same god damn thing. 

And, that's spanning disparate ENSO states so I'm not sure that's culprit in why this keeps happening...  Oh I have ideas -

Archived