Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Disco/Obs Thread

George BM

14 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

It would really be great if we could spread the rain out better during the year.  Watering the new seed but it is drying out quickly.  Obviously everything established is fine.

I am about to put down a new section of seed. With the lower sun angle and all the tree shade I have, I would rather it be dry so I can do controlled watering until germination. Its tough to keep wet if its an area that gets full sun though. I try to rake it in and sometimes put a thin layer of peat moss on top, and really soak it.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the ridge comes roaring back again next week.  Ugh.  Looks like our return to fall will be brief.  We can't even get done one heat wave before we see the next one on the 7-day.

Guess I'll have to make the most of this weekend's cool down, even though - as luck would have it - I have to work on Saturday.  

56 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

And the ridge comes roaring back again next week.  Ugh.  Looks like our return to fall will be brief.  We can't even get done one heat wave before we see the next one on the 7-day.

Guess I'll have to make the most of this weekend's cool down, even though - as luck would have it - I have to work on Saturday.  

Augtober.  

43 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Saw it on yesterday's 18z gfs..it's dialed it back now.

Thank goodness.  I saw that 18z and read NWS discussion yesterday morning and it painted a hot, desolate picture.  Now, we are just left with desolate.  There is so much brown around here.  Heard on the radio that Front Royal instituting mandatory water restrictions as the flow of the South Fork of the Shenandoah is very low.  Accuwx doesn't show a drop of rain on the LR until Oct. 17.

54 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Efforts of a NINO from the summer have dissipated and the NINA dryness has taken over.

Same with the unusual cool spell in aug/early sept. We're in the rebound/balance stage with warm stuff right now. I hope it holds all the way through Oct into Nov. I'm not kidding either. Let's have a rubber band snap back right before thanksgiving that lasts thru mid Dec. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Same with the unusual cool spell in aug/early sept. We're in the rebound/balance stage with warm stuff right now. I hope it holds all the way through Oct into Nov. I'm not kidding either. Let's have a rubber band snap back right before thanksgiving that lasts thru mid Dec. 

That may have so much meaning beyond these forums. ;)

IAD +0 for the month heading into today, the last day of the solid heatwave.  September really turned out to be the inverse of what one might ordinarily expect, more like June.  I suspect the month finishes essentially normal in the means, which this month was anything but.

Also interesting how June and September were acutely dry for most of the region, in such contrast to July and August.  Strange days indeed.

41 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Fire pit Friday!

Unless something really crazy happens in the next 48 hours, September will end here with 2.47" of rain, of which only .10" fell in the past three weeks, and not a drop since the 13th.

Have had 3.15" here for the month, but only about 0.20" in the last couple weeks. Looks to remain dry for at least another week. Gotta keep watering the new grass!

18 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I wish I could do that, but the dairy farmer who owns the farm fields out in front of my place likes to fertilize with liquefied cow shiit this time of year. And its upwind of me.

I spent a good part of my childhood in Harford county living with that. Had farms all over the place. Call me crazy but it doesn't bother me because every time I smell it it brings back mostly fond memories. :lol:

22 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I wish I could do that, but the dairy farmer who owns the farm fields out in front of my place likes to fertilize with liquefied cow shiit this time of year. And its upwind of me.

That must be fantastic and not enough plug ins to win that battle.  Reminds me of the people I see living near chicken processing plants over on the eastern shore.  If the wind blows a certain way I can't see how people live so close.  Its awful just driving by.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived