Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I wouldn't use any op model . Especially GFS. But this is a very real threat based on ensembles and pattern and sling shot look as it gets near the Bahamas 

Hard to argue against that. It's a tricky setup but if the pieces fall into place, look out

Just now, Hazey said:

He made a good call with Harvey so he might be right. I'm sure he'll own it if he's wrong.

Well it's one thing to make a forecast and it's another to go with historical precedent.  He's just using the latter.  Does not mean it can't or won't happen though, so we monitor.

Wild Op GFS solutions fwiw.

The evolution of the upper pattern is extremely critical, especially when dealing with the potential for hurricanes to come close or make landfall in New England.  There is a reason why historically many take the curve out to sea.  Given how far we are out the models are going to vary numerous times with regards to the speed of the trough, when exactly the trough pushes through, and also when Irma works up or towards the coast.  There are so many factors to consider.  When I looked at yesterday's runs my early prediction was either a track into the SE, a curve out to sea, or it sort of stalls off the SE coast and we see a situation similar to Hermene(?) last year. 

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

Those GFS runs were great fun. Goodbye Maine on the 00z. Worth remembering what Scott said about the GFS drastically over strengthening cyclones since the upgrade.

I don't think Maine has experienced anything beyond a Cat 1 since 1900.  Juan might show that a stronger 'cane is possible at this latitude, but Halifax is a lot closer to that nice warm Gulf Stream than is PWM or BHB.

Analog...my first direct experience with a big honking tropical system.  I was unaware prior but in 1954 I was still a small boy.

I don't recall Carol, but we flew kites during Edna that year, in gusts under 40 mph.  Hazel was our biggie, one of only two storms to coat houses with shredded leaves.  (The other was a SE gale in June, at Donnell Pond east of Ellsworth.  Leaves are much more shreddable in June than in October.)  Hazel was probably the strongest TC winds I've experienced, though Bob and 1971's Doria are competitive.  All were high-end tropical storm strength at my then-current homes.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I don't think Maine has experienced anything beyond a Cat 1 since 1900.  Juan might show that a stronger 'cane is possible at this latitude, but Halifax is a lot closer to that nice warm Gulf Stream than is PWM or BHB.

Analog...my first direct experience with a big honking tropical system.  I was unaware prior but in 1954 I was still a small boy.

I don't recall Carol, but we flew kites during Edna that year, in gusts under 40 mph.  Hazel was our biggie, one of only two storms to coat houses with shredded leaves.  (The other was a SE gale in June, at Donnell Pond east of Ellsworth.  Leaves are much more shreddable in June than in October.)  Hazel was probably the strongest TC winds I've experienced, though Bob and 1971's Doria are competitive.  All were high-end tropical storm strength at my then-current homes.

I remember the tops of railroad utility poles blowing like tumbleweeds down our street during Hazel.  The tracks were a mile away.

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I would say your location could see a cat 1. All depends on track and speed. You want the storm to be booking it as it heads through the gulf of Maine on a due north track. Rare but possible.

Archived