joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Euro run is limited threat to the MA/NE regions... For the reasons I outlined earlier, this run repeats those circulation structures and makes this wing out to sea before getting that far W.

Incidentally ... the GGEM solution is the version you should worry about - that's also a 1938 redux set up, too.

First and foremost... these are all fantasy range solutions.  It is interesting that there is some consistency for an amplitude in that range ...and happening to time a MDR TC well has repeated across a couple few cycles.  The period of time in question is also the hottest region on the planet (including the western Pacific) with a few indicators bringing that region in an anomalously favorable regime for development through Sept 20th.  That's above climo ;)  

We'll see what comes of it...

53 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That system is a fish.

You need it south of the Cape Verde Islands.

Next-

Jeez  40/70....I don't know......   I was just going to post about how 93L was looking ominous for someone,  the islands, the Gulf, Florida, East Coast.  Attached the 18Z stuff.  My knowledge is more limited than most of you guys but it looked to me that 93L might stay south of the trough next week and continue at a fairly low latitude.  Way, way out there but at the height of the Cape Verde season and a 90% chance of developing it bares watching.

This is all the US needs right now.  Another major.....

Untitled.jpg

14 hours ago, MetHerb said:

That's really why I was amazed.  Texas gets 40" events and that's something that will probably never happened here.  There's two totally different climates/environments.

Sure - 20".  Not 40".  We'd need two Diane's back to back just to equal one Texas event.  To me it's misleading for folks to think "if that happened here" vs. the areal coverage of the rainfall.  I think they mean the latter but folks are thinking the former.

Oh, I know.   We also have a much different topography here than SE Texas. Plus, as you stated, the areal coverage is mind boggling,   Still unreal that parts of New England ever received 20" from one event,   If that happened today...

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jeez  40/70....I don't know......   I was just going to post about how 93L was looking ominous for someone,  the islands, the Gulf, Florida, East Coast.  Attached the 18Z stuff.  My knowledge is more limited than most of you guys but it looked to me that 93L might stay south of the trough next week and continue at a fairly low latitude.  Way, way out there but at the height of the Cape Verde season and a 90% chance of developing it bares watching.

This is all the US needs right now.  Another major.....

Untitled.jpg

Yes, bares watching.

You're as qualified as I am, bud haha

Seems like the tropics have woken up.   Crazy 12Z run for the Gulf.  Everything way, way out in fantasyland.  Develops another cane in the SW gulf and brings it up towards the East Texas coast and then moves it due east.  Entire coastline from Houston to W Florida gets raked.  Then Irma.  Hope it the trough catches it and recurves. At this point 10 days away odds favor that.  If it were to  miss the trough then all bets are off.  I can't imagine what would happen if another hurricane develops in the Gulf as the  the 12Z GFS predicts and if Irma misses the trough and heads towards the US in some fashion. A situation like Harvey then a "Jose" then an Irma.   Odds are extremely low that a Jose and Irma would be hits but if they were big ones it would be a real test for the country....

PS   Wonder how fast the Gulf "recharges"  as far as water temperature?

The fact that the models are hinting that Irma blows up may actually spare the US from a hit. Strong canes tend to move more poleward vs weaker systems. Best case scenario albeit probably unpopular, is for it to split the uprights between the East coast and Bermuda. Way too soon to call that though.   

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Seems like the tropics have woken up.   Crazy 12Z run for the Gulf.  Everything way, way out in fantasyland.  Develops another cane in the SW gulf and brings it up towards the East Texas coast and then moves it due east.  Entire coastline from Houston to W Florida gets raked.  Then Irma.  Hope it the trough catches it and recurves. At this point 10 days away odds favor that.  If it were to  miss the trough then all bets are off.  I can't imagine what would happen if another hurricane develops in the Gulf as the  the 12Z GFS predicts and if Irma misses the trough and heads towards the US in some fashion. A situation like Harvey then a "Jose" then an Irma.   Odds are extremely low that a Jose and Irma would be hits but if they were big ones it would be a real test for the country....

PS   Wonder how fast the Gulf "recharges"  as far as water temperature?

Not intending to toot horns but seriously ...this was signaled pretty loudly ...that the end of the month through Sept would be anomalously favorable relative to climatology; coming into focus a couple weeks ago (I posted those at the time).  

I think it's a pretty tasty score for those tools - it really was a rip and read on my part. 

The western Gulf does not (unfortunately) need to recharge.  Buoys are in the low to mid 80s everywhere, and there was a pretty big plume of severed loop-water that moved into the western Gulf and that's drilling a vortex several hundred feet. 

1 hour ago, Hazey said:

The fact that the models are hinting that Irma blows up may actually spare the US from a hit. Strong canes tend to move more poleward vs weaker systems. Best case scenario albeit probably unpopular, is for it to split the uprights between the East coast and Bermuda. Way too soon to call that though.   

I wouldn't call a path between Bermuda and the US unpopular, at least not for surfers! Still I think this has the potential to be our first long track Cape Verde in a while. It should really jack up ACE too

I wouldn't call a path between Bermuda and the US unpopular, at least not for surfers! Still I think this has the potential to be our first long track Cape Verde in a while. It should really jack up ACE too

I agree but there are a some regulars here that will yawn at this unless it's trashing the NE.

Archived