Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

If I could figure out the euro password I would do the same but it's not easy. The gfs password is password because of the FOIA 

We love FOIA transparency :)  This storm is making me think about storm chasing down near Cape Fear.  You don't see a monster like this very often.

7 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Agree.  You don't have to go further back than Sandy to see that being on the SW side of a tropical system around here isn't especially impressive. Hazel is the Carolina landfall that is the ticket around here, though the forward speed of that one also contributed.

You do get a lot more rainfall on the W side though.  I was on the NE side of Sandy and got 1" of rain- granted we had 90 mph winds and a 25 hr blackout lol.

I would like to order a Cat 5 Irma. I would like 190 sustained winds, 245 mph gusts, and a monster 70 foot storm surge up the Bay. and potential 40 inch rains from persistent, pressure washer, Port Arthur-like deathbands that stay on top of Dale City for 5 days from a slow moving monster Cane. I'd like it to move up the 91 degree Bay, then stall out south of Dale City. I am not asking for much, Gods of Weather. All I am askin' for, is a delightful hurricane of my life, delivered courtesy of amplified climate change on effin' Steroids. I have always wanted this. Sept 10 is the Future, and the future is now! I want 40 inches of rain in Dale City, just for me, to savor and enjoy, for once and for all.

Bring it ON, Gods of Weather. Bring it the hell on, Goddess.

4 hours ago, Jebman said:

I would like to order a Cat 5 Irma...

lol...I just want yesterday's Chesapeake Bay scenario with a push right into PA. Let it ride the I-83 corridor to Harrisburg and then I-81 into New York, I'd end up on the eastern side but close to the center of circulation that way.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Wilmington NC
616 AM EDT Sun Sep 3 2017

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/... As of 3 PM Saturday...Though a cold front will be approaching on Tuesday deep layer moisture seems to remain suppressed to our south. Given how light the prefrontal flow regime is this seems plausible. The flow tightens up Tuesday night into Wednesday and cyclonic height falls overspread the area as a deep mid level trough carves its way into the Great Lakes.

The boundary lines up with the mid level flow right along the coast late Wednesday night into early Thursday for some lingering rain chances, though the deep moisture will be offshore.

The front will then move a bit farther offshore assuming the trough is as progressive as some models indicate. Per the WPC/NHC long range conference call this seems questionable given the strength of the upstream ridge in the west. Irma`s circulation could also be affecting the front by Saturday.

21 minutes ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Wilmington NC
616 AM EDT Sun Sep 3 2017

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/... As of 3 PM Saturday...Though a cold front will be approaching on Tuesday deep layer moisture seems to remain suppressed to our south. Given how light the prefrontal flow regime is this seems plausible. The flow tightens up Tuesday night into Wednesday and cyclonic height falls overspread the area as a deep mid level trough carves its way into the Great Lakes.

The boundary lines up with the mid level flow right along the coast late Wednesday night into early Thursday for some lingering rain chances, though the deep moisture will be offshore.

The front will then move a bit farther offshore assuming the trough is as progressive as some models indicate. Per the WPC/NHC long range conference call this seems questionable given the strength of the upstream ridge in the west. Irma`s circulation could also be affecting the front by Saturday.

I was questioning this somewhat as well. You would think that the strong ridging that builds over top the trough and bridges with the eastern Atlantic ridge would not be so easily shoved aside by the closed low/trough as it pulls back northeastward.

10 hours ago, cae said:

Stepping back and looking at the big picture, here are the mean tracks of various ensembles of ensembles over the last several 00z/12z runs.  There appears to be a gradual trend towards a more western track.  The 18z GEFS appears to have continued this trend.  You can find out which ensembles are included in each of these tracks here.

Arae6wD.gif

Below is the latest image in this trend.  All means are now showing landfall, except the EPS mean.  But that's a little misleading, as a majority of the EPS members now show landfall.

0bWc2TM.png

Notice the UKMET mean (UKMN), which is to the south of the others.  The UKMET ensemble has been steadily trending south and now has a lot of members that look like they want to send this storm into the Gulf (below).

yw1Uo1e.png

Although it appears to be an outlier, I wouldn't dismiss it.  The UKMET is a very good model, and it was the first to pick up on Matthew's up-the-Florida-coast track last year.  It seemed like an outlier then as well.

Archived