Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Those GEFS are pretty crazy. Not a single fish on them. 

That actually makes me think the gefs is error prone and not performing well. It's had mutiple runs lately with fairly tight spread and that shouldnt be happening at d7+ leads with a 20 member suite. I mean I guess it's possible that it's just locked in but I'm bigly skeptical of that. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

That actually makes me think the gefs is error prone and not performing well. It's had mutiple runs lately with fairly tight spread and that shouldnt be happening at d7+ leads with a 20 member suite. I mean I guess it's possible that it's just locked in but I'm bigly skeptical of that. 

GFS vs Euro. Who'd of thought? GEFS LOCKED IN!

I'll say the same thing I did during the Joaquin model war (which was much closer to game time than this)... do you trust the model that shows the nuke job with an unprecedented track, or the model that shows the climo solution (12z Euro)? I know people will respond with "But Sandy!!!!" but rare events are... rare. 

At any rate, this is a scary run. I'd likely lose everything... definitely rooting for OTS.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

You probably know this, but the GEFS tends to track closer to the op than one would expect. I think the term a met used in the main thread today was "underdisperse". See it pretty frequently in Atlantic tropical from what I've seen. Doesn't make it wrong, but it does increase the chances that they sway more with the op.  

Haven't read any chatter about it but it sure has crossed my mind. I've seen the eps do it in the winter multiple times. Mostly with <7 day leads. I can't think of a specific event or anything but there are times when the op males a big shift and eps consensus follows but then it all flips again down the line. 

Another thing that has crossed my mind is how much is climo built into the eps? The recurve is the heavyweight climo favored track with all canes born in the same place. Is climo partially responsible for the majority consensus at this range? I kinda doubt it but it's crossed my mind more than once. 

24 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I'll say the same thing I did during the Joaquin model war (which was much closer to game time than this)... do you trust the model that shows the nuke job with an unprecedented track, or the model that shows the climo solution (12z Euro)? I know people will respond with "But Sandy!!!!" but rare events are... rare. 

At any rate, this is a scary run. I'd likely lose everything... definitely rooting for OTS.

Preparation for me would be booze and just waiting to see how many trees come down. Thats what I did during Irene. Lost one big oak tree- fell right towards the back of house but the top branches just scraped it. (I posted a photo in banter.) Lucked out. Irene tracked to my east- what the GFS is advertising would be many times worse.

I cant wait for the FV3 to come on line next year. Here is a pretty cool article about NOAA comparing it to the Euro during Harvey. They think it may end up being the best model in existence. The future of weather models is going to be something to behold. 

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/hurricane-harvey-provides-lab-us-forecast-experiments

I compared the gefs to the eps with the northern hemisphere panels. Looks like the primary difference that greatly affects the outcome is the WAR strength. Gefs is keying on a stronger WAR which slows the trough in the east.  This causes the upstream ridge in Canada to be stronger because the war roadblocks things for a time.

The eps is weaker with the war so the blocking ridge behind the trough in the east is too weak and too late to stop the recurve.  The weaker WAR and ridge in canada provides an easy eacape hatch for Irma. 

I hope this makes sense because it's hard to describe. Use the northern hemisphere h5 anomaly panels on TT and compare the gefs and eps. It's easy to see visually but hard to put into words 

25 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

This map is deceiving.  Look at the current and well forecast track of Irma compared to all those "wide right" fish storms.  Within the next 24 hours, Irma would have to switch to a NNW/NW track to verify half of those tracks.  Irma is going W and won't make a turn for several more days.  That rules those out.  I'm not saying this is an EC hit of doom, but posting crap like that on SM is just as foolish as a 240 HR 18z GFS OP showing a landfall in the Mid Atlantic.  

Just seeing the 18z runs now.  WTF GFS.  At 12z you had a 947 mb low over DC, and at 18z you only brought a 958 mb low?  If you're going to be the mid-Atlantic weenie model, you're going to have to try harder than that.  Get it together for the 00z run.

Seriously, I'm beginning to get a little worried for my beech tree as well.  I think the GFS intensity is likely overdone (878 mb?) as the current version is reportedly known to overintensify tropical storms, and no other model is showing anything like that.

It's remarkable how consistent the GFS has been over the last day or so, especially as the Euro and EPS play long wave roulette.  I think the spread of solutions being shown by the Euro / EPS at this time frame is probably more realistic than the relatively narrow range of the GFS / GEFS.  One thing I noticed about the EPS is that there are very few solutions that curve back to the west north of OBX.  They either hit the southeast or go OTS.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture, here are the mean tracks of various ensembles of ensembles over the last several 00z/12z runs.  There appears to be a gradual trend towards a more western track.  The 18z GEFS appears to have continued this trend.  You can find out which ensembles are included in each of these tracks here.

Arae6wD.gif

Archived