joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think you enjoy model chaos than you do weather :lol:

Probably. Lol

The euro run is completely plausible as is the gfs. I agree about playing odds. Climo says the vast majority of hurricanes like this miss the US. We're more than just a couple days from ruling  out a LF though. 

We'll see what the eps says then thr gefs and round and round we go. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Probably. Lol

The euro run is completely plausible as is the gfs. I agree about playing odds. Climo says the vast majority of hurricanes like this miss the US. We're more than just a couple days from ruling  out a LF though. 

We'll see what the eps says then thr gefs and round and round we go. 

What do you mean by LF?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Euro is moving towards the GFS.  Look at hr192 compared to the previous two runs, never mind the location of Irma.

3 runs ago: trough way West, no midatlantic HP.

2 runs ago: no trough, midatlantic HP way east

Last run: trough similar to GFS, midatlantic HP about 750 miles NW of the previous run.

No guarantees of course, but if that midatlantic HP moves West and south on the next run, I think we're playing ball.

maybe i'm wrong to think this, but based off history it seems that (unlike a noreaster) unless the center moves inland from NC south, we'll end up being on the weaker side.  there would be coastal impacts, but i can think of a few systems that skirted the outer banks towards OC with very little impact towards the big cities.  even though floyd and isabel were remnants, they were in a favorable position to impact us.  i have a feeling that if we want to get something out of this we would need a carolina or south hit (not that i'm rooting for that, but just sayin').

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

maybe i'm wrong to think this, but based off history it seems that (unlike a noreaster) unless the center moves inland from NC south, we'll end up being on the weaker side.  there would be coastal impacts, but i can think of a few systems that skirted the outer banks towards OC with very little impact towards the big cities.  even though floyd and isabel were remnants, they were in a favorable position to impact us.  i have a feeling that if we want to get something out of this we would need a carolina or south hit (not that i'm rooting for that, but just sayin').

Agree.  You don't have to go further back than Sandy to see that being on the SW side of a tropical system around here isn't especially impressive. Hazel is the Carolina landfall that is the ticket around here, though the forward speed of that one also contributed.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Agree.  You don't have to go further back than Sandy to see that being on the SW side of a tropical system around here isn't especially impressive. Hazel is the Carolina landfall that is the ticket around here, though the forward speed of that one also contributed.

That's true if its a TS or Cat 1. Not sure about that if 12z GFS verified.

Archived