Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

The NAM is acceptable if it shows good snow. 

It is?  Because people were posting maps of total qpf before when it sucked and it was fine.

Quick bits about the NAM beyond 48 is fine, bad or good.  In depth going off the rails when it's crappy vs every other model..eh..naso much

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, stormtracker said:

It is?  Because people were posting maps of total qpf before when it sucked and it was fine.

Just in general. NAM is ok if it has snow. Nothing more. :P 

47 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Stop trying to figure out the NAM. Lol. But part of the problem is the primary in Ohio. In effect since that's closer and still the dominant feature at that time the low is to our northwest.  But it's coming around each run. I bet by tomorrow it's in line. 

oh I'm not.  I just look for one thing to prove how poor it verifies.

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know from skiing up in Vermont that there can be some blowover effect where the winds carry the snow from upslope enhancement over the other side of the ridge. Stowe is actually on the lee side but due to this effect they get dumped. But it tapers off quick as you head down such that if the ski resort is getting a 20" dump from upside the town only 3 miles away in the valley might only get a couple inches. Plus those mountains are 4000 feet and at a perfect alignment to get upslope off lake Champlain. So the effect there is extreme. In general you want to be on the windward side of the slope to get help from upslope

Makes sense -- and I know on a large scale that being on the leeward side you end up with a precip shadow/desert (eg Sierras). My situation is much smaller scale -- and it's not a gradual rise across several ridges either....it's basically a pretty sharp rise from 600ft to 1600ft over a mile or so, then drops back to 400ft within 3 miles. I'm on a lower ridge at 800ft about 1.5 miles west of the higher ridge. I never really thought it was a prominent enough feature to make a difference, which is why it really got my attention when that map showed the little stripe of higher accum along the ridge area. That got me curious about the potential effect on the micro climate when you have a nor'easter slinging moisture at the ridge.....I guess the effect is enough to maybe pick up an extra inch or two.....I just can't tell from the map precisely how wide the enhanced precip band is. Prolly nitpicky and weather-geeky, but I like learning as much as I can even about the smaller weather phenomena.

1 minute ago, PDIII said:

completely different set up. 

I know, its really much better especially with temps. But for some reason I don't like when models ramp up the precip and snow amounts right before the storm... it happened 1/22 too and we got dryslotted, although I will never complain about 2'. 

6 minutes ago, PDIII said:

If this guidance verifies it will be one of the biggest snow falls for March in many places.  Definitely HECS.  atleast for the cities. 

What is most crazy is that it comes at the end of a relatively snowless winter.  There isn't much to really rival it in the records.  Maybe 1942 ?  Baltimore had 4.1" through the end of February before picking up 22.2" in March that year.

i don't really see any other comps in the Mid-Atlantic.  Historic indeed if it verifies.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived