Newest Member
    joxey
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Since we're still in spread range, any outcome can't be discounted. If we get to day 4 and the op moves to one of the flush hit solutions were seeing now then the ens will light us up light a tree. If I had to choose which side of the bullseye I would want to be on right now I would choose north every single time. It's highly unlikely we just saw the final solution today. 

Thanks.  Agree with you on preferring the northern edge of the bullseye at this range out, at least in general.  It's a bit trickier in a situation like this with cold air pressing.  Does it go too far and suppress everything south, or are the models at this range over-doing the extent of the cold (or under-doing the strength of the wave and precip of interest for that matter)?  That remains to be seen. 

I'm not overly worried (yet!), though around here and especially with a winter like this one, we always are extra-sensitive to the other shoe dropping (and crushing hopes)!  I'll just hug the 12Z GFS/GEFS until happy hour or 00Z tonight destroys all hope!!

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That's why I think slowing the Sunday system by about 6-12 hours would be great.  Get the Friday system out of the way, give it some room to pop a little ridging in front of itself.

I noticed when looking at gefs members that the slower ones were north and faster south wrt Sunday. Probably for the reason you are referring to. 

1 minute ago, caviman2201 said:

Why?

Precip fields tend to be underdone to the north until we get closer to the event. I guess I should not say I expect the track of the low to come north much, but the precip shield for sure. Still gonna be a brutal northern cutoff. As far as actual track, we are a ways away.. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

GFS a good bit further south with the Friday morning deal. Northern tier would accumulate. Surface temps suck south of 70 even though timing is good. 

950mb is -2/-3 around DC by 12z/15z, so it is possible.  That QPF field movement from hour 75 to hour 90 is not something I think I've seen before while living out here.

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

950mb is -2/-3 around DC by 12z/15z, so it is possible.  That QPF field movement from hour 75 to hour 90 is not something I think I've seen before while living out here.

Med range events often sneak up on us. We just haven't had any do it since 14-15. Maybe this will be one of those sneaky ones. 

The complicated part of assessing models for the sunday deal is it's a combo of more suppression out in front but it's being offset somewhat by the storm in the west dropping in at a higher latitude. So the Friday storm coming south could actually end up saving us for a north track instead of ruining it by making it run south. I'm pretty divided on what exactly I'm supposed to be rooting for for Friday. I think I'll just root for snow and let the chips fall down the line. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived