Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

We are far enough out there will still be some back and forth with the track. The exact outcome ultimately depends to a large extent on the exact timing and strength of the vortex rotating down under the block.

Yes. Exactly. The Friday deal is still evolving. It can change to the point where Sunday is a direct hit but a sheared mess with lower totals than the northern fringe stuff the euro just spit out. Or it could hook the coast with the same track as the euro and crush us with deform stuff. Once we get to Thursday, the track envelope will be narrowed down prerty good and we will have a much clearer picture. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Yeah, it does. Not sure what I was looking at previously when I mentioned the better setup for the follow up but it sure wasn't the 12Z Euro. Pattern pretty much goes into the crapper after our day 6 storm. 

To my eyes it looks like a relax and potential reload past d10 as ridging out wese seems decent.

Nut

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yes. Exactly. The Friday deal is still evolving. It can change to the point where Sunday is a direct hit but a sheared mess with lower totals than the northern fringe stuff the euro just spit out. Or it could hook the coast with the same track as the euro and crush us with deform stuff. Once we get to Thursday, the track envelope will be narrowed down prerty good and we will have a much clearer picture. 

Yea just posted above regarding people take my "worried" too seriously.  Just because I'm aware of the risk of how we fail doesn't mean I think it will fail. But I do think south and weak is the bigger risk with this. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm worried about it. For me especially it's the bigger risk then north trend imo. DC has way more wiggle room then me here.  That doesn't mean I think it goes south just I can see how that could happen. Both the first two march 2014 events were lame up here. We can get fringed. I'm talking about the Sunday storm only. 

NOW it feels like a chase. We are a good to go on seeing a storm when PSU starts worrying about being fringed. Of course heaviest snowfalls will be to the north and west of the cities with the snow mecca of the Mid-Atlantic (PSUland) jackpotting.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Just comparing this run with 0z, it was quite a bit different. 0z hooked the storm up the coast and grazed NE iirc, while this run it pretty much went straight out. Look at the differences at h5 wrt to the vortices up north. Thats the stuff that will have an impact and its going to shift around for a while yet.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea just posted above regarding people take my "worried" too seriously.  Just because I'm aware of the risk of how we fail doesn't mean I think it will fail. But I do think south and weak is the bigger risk with this. 

What we should be focusing on is the Friday system. If that turns into a small snow system for us, we're probably screwed.

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

I would be so jealous of mappy if the 06z para GFS came about... and all of us DC south would be too... super gradient ftl

It's a brutally painful run for anyone south of I-70. Massive hit for Baltimore and north, but naso much for DC.

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

What we should be focusing on is the Friday system. If that turns into a small snow system for us, we're probably screwed.

Thats all I have ever been focused on honestly. I have felt that this has to be the one to get it done for days now. "Delayed but not denied" is likely going to fail imo.

eta- slightly misread your post but agree. And I am referring to the Sat-Sun event, and not concerned about what may or may not happen beyond that.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Just comparing this run with 0z, it was quite a bit different. 0z hooked the storm up the coast and grazed NE iirc, while this run it pretty much went straight out. Look at the differences at h5 wrt to the vortices up north. Thats the stuff that will have an impact and its going to shift around for a while yet.

That's why I think slowing the Sunday system by about 6-12 hours would be great.  Get the Friday system out of the way, give it some room to pop a little ridging in front of itself.

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I wrote this in banter before the GFS ran:

I'll assume, given our luck, that Friday trends better and we get an inch, but then figure out as the week goes on that the better trend for Friday screwed us for Sunday when that swath goes south along a boundary that sets up further south than optimal thanks to Friday...

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

To my eyes it looks like a relax and potential reload past d10 as ridging out wese seems decent.

Nut

It looks like there is a possibility of a reload post day 10 but we lose the temps and I am not sure we would be able to recover them if it played out as shown.

11 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

It looks like there is a possibility of a reload post day 10 but we lose the temps and I am not sure we would be able to recover them if it played out as shown.

Gotcha, but to my eye it looks like we've got more poised to drop down from the upper plains, and given the pattern...and potential snow cover, it may support a reload of sorts.

Truth be told, I sorta promised myself not to get too cranked up post day 7 for a while, and with what lies potentially ahead in the next 8, I'll just focus on that for now.  Gonna be fun.

Para just makes me wanna steal Stormtrackers Avatar as it is tearworthy for many....unfortunately not all.

Nut

Just now, yoda said:

Great, now you are making me think of the movie series SAW

TBH I am just happy the Para didnt completely cave/ fail with suppression.  I am thinking that if that happens.  That if we get a total fringe job.. tonights euro will be the one to sniff it out.  I have no scientific reasoning for that statement.. just years of demoralization. 

22 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That's why I think slowing the Sunday system by about 6-12 hours would be great.  Get the Friday system out of the way, give it some room to pop a little ridging in front of itself.

When you say "out of the way"...Is there something about it that would weaken or suppress the weekend storm? (It seems that storms getting in the way of storms has been a thing a couple times this winter...)

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Don't know...Do ya think it's better to see this 6 days out than what the 0z Euro just showed?

Our prayers for a jog north are answered far more frequently than ones for a jog south in my experience.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived