Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I just can't see suppression in March.  This ain't January.  I think we are sitting pretty right now.  Best in a long, long time.

Also, somebody with historical connections, this has to be similar to PDII in the setup.  Right/wrong?

March 1980 was suppressed.... good enough for DC, but it definitely fringed the northern areas.

That's the only example I can think of. It probably won't be suppressed for anyone south of 40N.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I just can't see suppression in March.  This ain't January.  I think we are sitting pretty right now.  Best in a long, long time.

Also, somebody with historical connections, this has to be similar to PDII in the setup.  Right/wrong?

It looks a lot like Dec 2009 imho. Amped pointed it out last night. There are differences of course but the vort track/blocking/50/50 look pretty damn close. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agree. I remained cautious and quiet when it was sitting in the 2 week window. Tried my best not to let recency fail bias cloud my head. Once the block crossed the 7 day mark I had visions of a big late season event. And I agree. Now that the west based block is actually in the SHORT RANGE, it could very well have longer legs than what models see right now. Good times man. 

Still mixed in the longer range.. saw 0z EPS was back to warmer late. But I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up dragging out through much of all of the month. Of course with time it becomes hard to get snow even with the pattern. At this point I'd almost bet we lose March to it tho.

Just now, Fozz said:

March 1980 was suppressed.... good enough for DC, but it definitely fringed the northern areas.

That's the only example I can think of. It probably won't be suppressed for anyone south of 40N.

Early March 2014 was somewhat disappointing. DC-Balt was forecast 8-12" but the suppression continued to the last minute and it became more of a 3-5" deal. 

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Suppression can occur anytime. It just means that it might be a rainstorm and not snow for anyone in that case. We seem to be in a nice spot at the moment. I'm nervous/excited/anxious though due to what we've seen this winter. I just wish it was Thursday, not Monday.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It looks a lot like Dec 2009 imho. Amped pointed it out last night. There are differences of course but the vort track/blocking/50/50 look pretty damn close. 

Sorry, but are we talking about the Dec 19th 2009 storm?  The one that gave us 1-2 feet?  Or a different storm?

So after only occasionally looking through this thread (more out of some amusement), the last couple of days have me thinking "Say...WHAT?!"  I know the potential was there for cold and possibly some snow toward mid-month given the advertised pattern, but I haven't exactly been giving much heed to it.  Now, however...!

Nature sure has a cruel sense of humor and irony.  After one of the warmest DJF periods on record, including the warmest February, we may actually get a significant snow event in March.  And a cold one at that!  St. Pat's Day storm II (though not exactly on the 17th)??

Lots of people coming back from the dead on this one if it actually pans out...zombie apocalypse!

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

He might be referring to the Dec 5th, 2009 event.  It was a good hit in the favored climo spots IIRC.

To me the comments seemed to be linking the overall pattern, so December 2009 as a whole would favor the good stuff. :)

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

He might be referring to the Dec 5th, 2009 event.  It was a good hit in the favored climo spots IIRC.

For the Sunday storm, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the big one. That isn't to say that this one will have as much snow, but I'm sure the setup has similarities.

6 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

So after only occasionally looking through this thread (more out of some amusement), the last couple of days have me thinking "Say...WHAT?!"  I know the potential was there for cold and possibly some snow toward mid-month given the advertised pattern, but I haven't exactly been giving much heed to it.  Now, however...!

Nature sure has a cruel sense of humor and irony.  After one of the warmest DJF periods on record, including the warmest February, we may actually get a significant snow event in March.  And a cold one at that!  St. Pat's Day storm II (though not exactly on the 17th)??

Lots of people coming back from the dead on this one if it actually pans out...zombie apocalypse!

Kind of like how the warmest December on record was followed by a HECS the following month. The spring lovers celebrated too soon.

Just now, Fozz said:

For the Sunday storm, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the big one. That isn't to say that this one will have as much snow, but I'm sure the setup has similarities.

I went back an pull reanalysis maps. I would post them if someone would empty out my dumb attachments folder but oh well. Dec 19, 2009 started out with the vort digging to TX and running towards us. Still had a good -nao/50-50 but the track isn't similar unless the one on tap digs way south. 

The short story is any time you have a vort tracking under with a 50/50 and -nao there is always a chance. It's probably THE classic big snow setup around here (stating obvious)

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I went back an pull reanalysis maps. I would post them if someone would empty out my dumb attachments folder but oh well. Dec 19, 2009 started out with the vort digging to TX and running towards us. Still had a good -nao/50-50 but the track isn't similar unless the one on tap digs way south. 

The short story is any time you have a vort tracking under with a 50/50 and -nao there is always a chance. It's probably THE classic big snow setup around here (stating obvious)

Pull them for PDII.  I know you can't post them, but I'd like to hear your take.

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Kind of like how the warmest December on record was followed by a HECS the following month. The spring lovers celebrated too soon.

Yeah, maybe a bit like that.  But that was one record month early on.  Jan-Feb last year were normal to slightly colder with a different pattern, so I don't know how many people were really talking "spring" after December back then.  This year has sucked because it has been consistently warmer/much warmer than normal with only a couple or so cold interludes.  And every single potential (few as they may have been) broke down or disappeared on us.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived