Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

How accurate are these outlooks? Seems like we will be stuck in the COD for a while and just pinning our hopes it moves into 8-1 towards the tail end of this range.

It's good that it's in the COD during this part of the cycle. You don't want it going through phases 4-7 trust me. That chart is like the best case scenario. Skip the bad phases and pop back into good. As for accuracy it nailed the last mjo wave but I don't have verification scores. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

High pressure keeps trending south. That's not good. Want it up in New England and a system coming in under not sliding out at our latitude. That makes it hard. If the storm is under its suppressed. If it behind the return flow behind the high will warm us. That's not a good trend. 

Still 180 out.  time for more solutions I suppose.  You said earlier suppression is not a real worry.  That is appears accurate.

Doesn't really look close to me for a phase. NS shortwave drops down and moves concurrently and then ahead of the the southern and there is quite a bit of separation between the two as well. Doesn't mean that won't change but at this point we would need to see the northern digging deeper and lagging behind the southern. Not even sure we would want to see a phase considering the chances are we would see that run to our north and with the High position now depicted we would probably be SOL except for maybe a little front end action.

Op gfs doesn't dig the trough enough so all the threats general end up north of us.  The general longwave axis is fine but not amplified enough to get systems under us. Hopefully that trend doesn't show up on the ensembles. Need to see the trough digging into the tn valley not lifting by to our north or dumping into New England. 

1 minute ago, Wonderdog said:

We just can't get it right this year. Looks like the trend toward a snowy pattern we saw in the long range on Friday is gone. 

Every day the ensembles show something different in the long range.  That's sort of to be expected, but the model chaos has been at an extreme for sure.  Hopefully the 5 day period will eventually balance itself out on guidance. 

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

This could help us reload the pattern after week 2. 

IMG_0405.GIF

EC is similar. The bad news is we traverse through 5,6,7 first. The good news is the MJO forecasts haven't done well this winter especially the GEFS. Also good is it may get towards phase 8 and 1 during peak DC snow climo.  IMG_3028.PNG

18 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

Every day the ensembles show something different in the long range.  That's sort of to be expected, but the model chaos has been at an extreme for sure.  Hopefully the 5 day period will eventually balance itself out on guidance. 

Specifics will shift around at range but the general larger features haven't been as bad. I think the extraordinary success from range last January plus some of those storms in 2009/10 have given unrealistic expectations of long range guidance. Those all happened in extremely stable blocking patterns with an stj dominant storm track. What's happening this year is more typical. Think back to 2013/14. How many of those snows were locked in more then 72 hours out?  I remember most trended significantly in the short ranges. But we didn't complain about the models issues because it was snowing every few days all winter so who cares. When there is no snow and we are frustrated we nitpick everything.  To me the shifts run to run on the feb 6 threat are within the envelope of what I would expect in the 6-10 day range. 

13 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

EC is similar. The bad news is we traverse through 5,6,7 first. The good news is the MJO forecasts haven't done well this winter especially the GEFS. Also good is it may get towards phase 8 and 1 during peak DC snow climo.  IMG_3028.PNG

At least it's pretty weak even on euro in the bad phases. If you avg the two it's muted enough it may not be able to influence the pattern much. It looks to gain amplitude unto 8 and that's good. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't see any with 0. And only 2 with under 2". I think the clear consensus is in the 3-6" range. Are they right...that's another story. 

haha.  i generally round down to zero in the grey regions of the map.  sets my expectations more appropriately.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't see any with 0. And only 2 with under 2". I think the clear consensus is in the 3-6" range. Are they right...that's another story. 

Don't expect the best outcome but don't assume the worst outcome either.  That's all we can believe right now.  At least we are still in the game.

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Don't expect the best outcome but don't assume the worst outcome either.  That's all we can believe right now.  At least we are still in the game.

:lol:  What game?

Its more similar to being one of a thousand kids in line for a LeBron autograph.  Somebody's gonna get one but will it be you?

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived