Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

GEFS snow mean for the day 8 threat is about 2.5-3".  Most members show snow but not many big hitters, a lot of 2-4" type events.  After that the GEFS is again really hitting the day 10-15 period hard.  Lots of big hitters in that time period. 

Big Hitters seem to be always pushed back in time this winter, if you want to call it that. Just too much volatility on the models past four or five days or so. Not reliable for sure. But so far the end result has always been the same this year, so far. We do better with a storm forming in the gulf states instead of these disturbances moving across the middle of the country. Those seem to be very undependable for our latitude this year. Very frustrating. Seems we can't hold on to a storm past 24 hours that is worth tracking.

7 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Big Hitters seem to be always pushed back in time this winter, if you want to call it that. Just too much volatility on the models past four or five days or so. Not reliable for sure. But so far the end result has always been the same this year, so far. We do better with a storm forming in the gulf states instead of these disturbances moving across the middle of the country. Those seem to be very undependable for our latitude this year. Very frustrating. Seems we can't hold on to a storm past 24 hours that is worth tracking.

Not saying this is the case here but I have noticed that for whatever reason over the years that quite often you will see the models lose the signal for a storm for a stretch of time only to bring it back a couple days later. We saw this with the Noreaster we had last week. All the models had a strong signal for a major storm at day 13, lost it completely and then a couple days later come back to the idea. Have only taken a cursory glance into the overnight ensembles yet, so maybe there is a good reason for what we are seeing but still I would give it a day or two to see where we stand before writing anything off.

A feature that has become more prominent in recent eps cycles(gefs as well) late in the run is a strong AK trough. Not only is the western US mild, but much of Canada does not look cold either. Without the blocking over GL, that vortex retreats north and its a coast to coast pacific air mass. We are hanging by a thread. Relying on a negative NAO to save us is precarious lol.

No two ways about it, the 00Z EPS has taken a major step back from our potential storm next weekend. The good news is, it took a fairly major step towards a fairly significant storm on the follow up roughly 3 days later. Not writing off the first storm by any means but in my mind the second has always been the one with the best potential.  

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

GEFS still looks good to me at 500.  One little relaxation of a day or 2 but overall its much better than we've been seeing.

Nut

It's a workable pattern as is with some potential but as Cape mentioned above the trough through Alaska is flooding the CONUS in the west with warmer PAC air that is bleeding eastward. At this point we have the mean trough in the east which will dampen that somewhat. Would like to see a more pronounced trough and better ridging in the west to give us a more northerly flow then what we see now though. Which is quite possible when you take smoothing into consideration at longer ranges.

16 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

It's a workable pattern as is with some potential but as Cape mentioned above the trough through Alaska is flooding the CONUS in the west with warmer PAC air that is bleeding eastward. At this point we have the mean trough in the east which will dampen that somewhat. Would like to see a more pronounced trough and better ridging in the west to give us a more northerly flow then what we see now though. Which is quite possible when you take smoothing into consideration at longer ranges.

yeah i did notice that, but as has been suggested....a little to far out to get too worked up over.  It did recover at the end, so I guess its something to keep an eye on.

Nut

3 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

That impulse is really divinget0.gif divi southeastward. Be nice if it ended up further south that predicted and then exploded off the Carolinas tonight.

I'm not sure with the fast flow and positive tilt we want it too far south..unless it really explodes

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived