Newest Member
    Monty
January 7th/8th snowstorm obs/nowcast

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Interesting inconsistencies in snow totals out of Newtown. NBC Connecticut has two totals; one is 6" from the guy that posts here and the other is 2.7".

My friend lives off 84 in Sandy Hook and had 3" he said 

11 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I noticed that too. Also Fitchburg went from 6.0" to 3.1". Bunch of Worcester county weenies

I know the guy with the 3.1.  He is a serious data collector regarding snow.  He and I were discussing the storm yesterday and last night.  He is a trained spotter, Skywarn, and coop observer.  He has all the proper equipment, etc.   I also know people in Leominster who doubted their 6" numbers.  Westminster's 6" was off too imho 

26 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Edgartown with 15.5 and Oak Bluffs with 8? I doubt there was that much spread on that island. I tend to believe the Edgartown number but it looks like that got pulled and only Oak Bluffs is showing now. Weird.

If any of you CT guys got your final numbers quote me or PM and ill make a map later on :) 

I really wish there were more or at least a few posters from all three islands, they had to get a foot or so

Plymouth reported 17 inches...perhaps the person reporting the total was in North Plymouth. Because where I am in South plymouth we did not get 17 inches. Plymouth is so large and that band set up through hingham, Rockland, Weymouth, and probably the very northern end of Plymouth. But the entire town of Plymouth did not get that much.

24 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Plymouth reported 17 inches...perhaps the person reporting the total was in North Plymouth. Because where I am in South plymouth we did not get 17 inches. Plymouth is so large and that band set up through hingham, Rockland, Weymouth, and probably the very northern end of Plymouth. But the entire town of Plymouth did not get that much.

South Plymouth here as well. I think were closer to 13-14. I measured 18 a few spots that weren't in the wind but that's with the 4 or so we got the day before. 

3 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Yeah that's more in line with my total. I guess the echoes were a bit better over there but 6" still seems suspicious.

I took 2 measurements from the snowboard, the first one was right at 1.5" and the second one was pretty close to 4.5", the final measurement was so fluffy so maybe 4.4".
The Bethel number is really close to here, the 6.5 at Sandy Hook, there was even a 5.0" in Danbury much further west. 

SANDY HOOK             6.5  1011 PM  1/07  SOCIAL MEDIA
   2 E BETHEL             6.3   915 PM  1/07  FIRE DEPT/RESCUE
   1 ESE NEWTOWN          6.0   900 AM  1/08  COCORAHS
   EASTON                 5.8   930 PM  1/07  PUBLIC
   NEW CANAAN             5.8   900 PM  1/07  CT DOT
   BRIDGEPORT AIRPORT     5.7  1200 AM  1/08  CO-OP OBSERVER
   STRATFORD              5.5   830 PM  1/07  SOCIAL MEDIA
   2 ENE NEW CANAAN       5.4  1200 AM  1/08  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WESTON                 5.3   945 PM  1/07  TRAINED SPOTTER
   GREENWICH              5.2   630 PM  1/07  PUBLIC
   NORWALK                5.0   530 PM  1/07  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 W SHELTON            5.0   700 AM  1/08  COCORAHS