Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th/8th snowstorm obs/nowcast

TauntonBlizzard2013

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hear no mention of that...just talk about how everything was northwest, SGZ was deeply saturated temps were perfect. Everything verifying nw, blah, blah.

I have to step up my game with stuff like that....if I understood those things, I would have ignored all of that crap and went lighter.

Yeah, it's tough. I mean things definitely verified NW, but there were some flags to be wary of.

I mentioned some of them in my AFD last night, as to why I didn't go crazy on headlines for my area. But it's also a little easier for me when the goods were always going to be SE. BOX had the gradient right in the heart of their forecast area.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, it's tough. I mean things definitely verified NW, but there were some flags to be wary of.

I mentioned some of them in my AFD last night, as to why I didn't go crazy on headlines for my area. But it's also a little easier for me when the goods were always going to be SE. BOX had the gradient right in the heart of their forecast area.

I guess the frustration is as much bc I can't be sure of how to avoid this type of bust again in the future, as much as it is about missing the really good snows.

I'm coming away from this just as uncertain.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I guess the frustration is as much bc I can't be sure of how to avoid this type of bust again in the future, as much as it is about missing the really good snows.

You never avoid busts. A good enthusiasts or meteorologist will just have less busts. :lol:

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

When the forecast gets difficult, just work your way back to the large scale. Stick to synoptics, because chasing the mesoscale can burn you.

Like you said, closed H7 low would mean better forcing and more evenly distributed snow because of CCB development. Likewise, a deep DGZ is great, but it needs to also have lift and saturation. 

They helped us key into a farther NW track days before the models really started hinting at it with QPF, but it appears the NWS also went a little GGW too. So we're all guilty of it.

Really great day in N. RI - hard to give an accurate obs for snow on the ground, but I'll say 8" and still snowing (radar be damned.) And the fluffiest, sparkly, dry powder you can imagine. Winds continue to freshen, and 14.5F. 

Football, bourbon, and plenty of snow on the ground. Nice surprise and much appreciated for what has so far been a quiet winter.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

When the forecast gets difficult, just work your way back to the large scale. Stick to synoptics, because chasing the mesoscale can burn you.

Like you said, closed H7 low would mean better forcing and more evenly distributed snow because of CCB development. Likewise, a deep DGZ is great, but it needs to also have lift and saturation. 

They helped us key into a farther NW track days before the models really started hinting at it with QPF, but it appears the NWS also went a little GGW too. So we're all guilty of it.

This is my main take away....if I bust low in the future on a system without a closed H7 low, then so be it.

Steve, awesome, buddy....hope the dogs enjoy.

The problem is that small nuances can burn you. It just happens. Next time, you'll forecast lower because of the qpf and then you'll get burned and get 11" on 0.45" of qpf....because the next time the DGZ has the lift perfect and you get a band. 

I went 6-10 for ORH and will probably miss barely on the low end. It happens. Maybe should have gone 5-9 or 4-8 but that's the game. 

But just east in westborough, Framingham, and Natick it's going to beat the model qpf by a decent amount. 

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wish we would get one...just one March 2001, or Dec 1992 event....its either ski resort shuffle, or cj.

Anything else is an endangered species.

You didn't mix in 01? I flipped to freezing rain, sleet, and i think plain rain for almost 18 hours and still managed well over a foot, that was an epic 54 hour snow storm.

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

You didn't mix in 01? I flipped to freezing rain, sleet, and i think plain rain for almost 18 hours and still managed well over a foot, that was an epic 54 hour snow storm.

I started as some sleet and rain, then flipped pretty quickly to snow.

Had like 21".

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

All I kept hearing was how the interior shouldn't worry bc everything was saturated the everything was orgasmic in the SGZ.

This was a lamer Boxing day.

I don't get why everyone said that. I posted like six days ago saying I was worried for your area and the interior. The storm had that "I'm gonna piss Ray off" look 

Just now, sbos_wx said:

I don't get why everyone said that. I posted like six days ago saying I was worried for your area and the interior. The storm had that "I'm gonna piss Ray off" look 

I agreed, but at the last moment, caved.....at least I didn't go nuts....I mean, my range is close to verifying on the low end. 

Here's the 12z Euro 12 hour forecast (valid 00z this evening).

You can see the f-gen axis (red), and deformation axis (yellow) like I showed last night. The white line would be the area you look for the strongest banding to set up. I would say it's a good proxy for the radar right now.

EC.png

The problem is this is H7, so when you start to talk about much farther NW of that you are getting pretty high aloft. And there are your lift and saturation problems. We have the lift, but we don't have the moisture.

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Nice thats good to hear, makes me feel a little better about going 6-12 especially out in the eastern counties, im sure there will be some 11 and 12 spots especially around ginxy to the SE coast.

Yeah the furthest west areas in CT are definitely going to come close to 11 or 12"

Archived